Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Crappy Tire Led Tail Light

by buurin, April 18, 2006

As I mentioned earlier I have some ebay 3157 LED tail light on order. But as I troll through Crappy Tire (Canadian counterpart to Autozone for you Americans) and saw some 12-LED bulbs for CDN$8 each, I know I can't wait and have to check them out. So I bought two (and all two at that time) just in case, and installed one of them in my car.

Here are two pictures I snapped afterwards:

Light on "tail" (marker lights only)

Light with brake pressed

All 12 LEDs fire forward. LED was installed on left side. Right side houses a 3157 incandescent bulb with high filament burnt and needs replacement soon. Except that little Buurin pic used to mask the plate, everything else was not touched in any way.

What's your opinions on these bulbs?

LEDs look like they have enough brightness - but the beam pattern is not spread out enough to take advantage of the reflector in the housing. Might try some nighttime shots for comparison sakes - but as it stands - looks a little weak (beam spread) compared to the incandescent bulbs. As LEDs goes - that is about par for how they look.

ok, about a year and a half ago i was in the airport and got to talking to some guys from polaris (snow mobiles) about LED's in automotive and offroad use. they claimed to be making and marketing (for the atv's and snow mobiles where electrical draw is more of an issue and bulbs get more thrashing) a barrel like bulb.

its a cylinder that plugs into a normal socket with many LED's on a barrel, around the round side and on the top. that way the reflector is still utilised for a good spread. i havent seen or heard anything since then, but i havent really looked either. it wouldnt be too hard to adapt that to automotive.

ok, about a year and a half ago i was in the airport and got to talking to some guys from polaris (snow mobiles) about LED's in automotive and offroad use. they claimed to be making and marketing (for the atv's and snow mobiles where electrical draw is more of an issue and bulbs get more thrashing) a barrel like bulb.

its a cylinder that plugs into a normal socket with many LED's on a barrel, around the round side and on the top. that way the reflector is still utilised for a good spread. i havent seen or heard anything since then, but i havent really looked either. it wouldnt be too hard to adapt that to automotive.

Oh, I'm sure someone already have. This is the bulb I ordered off ebay.

hey where are you located?

I am from Ontario default_biggrin

check out our Canadian site for corollas also

www.corollacustomz.ca

http://www.corollacustomz.ca/forum/index.php

Fellow Ontarian! Or is it fellow Torontonian? default_smile

I read that forum from time to time but I have nothing to show for so I haven't made a presence there yet.

yep. thats exactly the bulb im talking about, how much, where from, and does it work well?

Bikeman982

What happened to the 1156/1157 bulbs?? Do they not work in your cars?? I would think they would be brighter.

What happened to the 1156/1157 bulbs?? Do they not work in your cars?? I would think they would be brighter.

My tail doesn't take 115x. Tail turn is 3156, tail stop is 3157, tail marker is 194.

yep. thats exactly the bulb im talking about, how much, where from, and does it work well?

As I said this bulb is from ebay (his userid is warden_jp2002) $23.5 for a pair plus $2.4 shipping.

The bulbs arrived today and it's already in my little pig.

Here are the daytime shots: Tail and brake.

I should be able to get nighttime shots up tomorrow. These should be much nicer. These had better be. They are more than double the price of the crappy tire eurolites.

hey where are you located?

I am from Ontario default_biggrin

check out our Canadian site for corollas also

www.corollacustomz.ca

http://www.corollacustomz.ca/forum/index.php

Nice site. default_biggrin

I'm from Hamilton, my car is in my sig.

I'm from Hamilton, my car is in my sig.

I'll meet you at Easterbrooks some time for a gourmet meal.

default_tongue

Bikeman982

default_tongue

Where is the Corolla Convention going to be?

Topic List