Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Rust Protection

by Dai_Shan, June 30, 2004

Dai_Shan

Well called a local bodyshop (Ziebart) and they have a deal going for 299$ for underbody and some body panels it sounds like with a 10yr warrenty.

How is this price and is it worth it if i am going to be keeping this car for 8+ yrs.

Thanks

With the quality of panels now - probably for most people, rustproofing (electronic or with coatings) is not necessary. The factory already has place some body sealant on very rust prone areas (seams, corners, joints, etc) and the metal overall is self-healing for most scratches.

If you live the rust-belt areas and not able to routinely clean off the road salt accumulations, or drive in areas where the car will be subjected to possible body damage (long stretches of large gravel roads, drive your car routinely on the beach, etc) - then a underbody coating will probably help in that case.

Check with the dealer - many underbody coatings will void the manufacturer's warranty on body panels if incorrectly applied or cause headaches for you later if a panel does happen to rust through on you.

Good Luck.

Dai_Shan

Welll I guess between you and my fiance....I'm sold....on not gettin it haha.

Just put a little more money into wax'n, and car washin.

And take that 300 and put it into other fun stuff....(car MP3 Cd player...video card for PC default_smile)

Anyone have an early rust problem with like a 99+ Corolla?

Trouble spots to worry about?

Best paint protectant ?

Someone had a 2001 Corolla S that he bolted on some 17x7 wheels. The wheels were a bit too wide and he had to roll the fender lip with a hammer and dolly. Craked all the paint off the bottom of the fender lip and drove it that way for three years - only surface rust, no rust through at all. That was in Ohio - if you ever lived there - you would know that it get snow and they salt pretty heavily.

I just spray some water up under the wheel wells every once and a while and sometimes, when I take the wheel off for a thorough cleaning, I give the wheel well a once over with an old sponge.

Good quailty wax and frequent washing is all you really need. For more stubborn spots, swirl marks - a cleaner/wax, swirl remover, and or a clay bar can really help that finish come through.

Good Luck.

Topic List