Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Rollah, March 30, 2006

Has anybody had this happen to them? I turned the AC on for the first time this year and got no response from the car whatsoever. It seemed like the AC compressor never kicked in, and there was absolutely no change in the air temperature. The green light on the AC button was on though. I called the dealership and they said they can take a look at it, but they won't be able to take it in until next weekend, and I will have to leave it with them for a whole day while they look at it. I am hoping it is something as simple as a blown fuse, so I don't have to waste a whole day dealing with the problem. Has this happened to anyone on this forum? I am kind of hoping this is a common problem with an easy fix so I dont have to take any time off from work, and drain my bank account to get it fixed.

Has anybody had this happen to them? I turned the AC on for th first time this year and got no response from the car. It seemed like the AC compressor never kicked in, and there was absolutely no change in the air temperature. I called the dealership and they said they can take a look at it, but it wont be for a few weeks. I am hoping it is something as simple as a blown fuse, but I am afraid it is something much worse. The dealer said that it wont be under warranty if a rock hit the AC system or something like that. Has this happened to anyone on this forum? I am kind of hoping it is c common problem with an easy fix so I dont have to take any time off from work, and drain my bank account to get it fixed.

Not sure if it applies to the 05s but the fuse for the A/C is located in the engine compartment (on my 01) and that would be the first thing to check. Otherwise it could be that the A/C clutch isn't engaging and is faulty. Either way, its a warranty issue.

I took a look in both fuse boxes, and it wasn't very clear which fuse was for the Air Conditioning. None of them were labeled with "A/C". I am assuming that there is a fuse for the whole heating and AC system. Maybe I will just try checking all of the fuses to see if any of them are blown. I think it is odd how the light comes on when I push the button though. This leads me to believe that it is not a fuse problem, but something more serious. Man, this stinks!

The fuse would be the first thing I'd check too. Check your owner's manual or a repair manual for the location of the fuse.

• 1,424 posts

You drive an '05 and unless it has more than 36,000 miles on it, it is covered under Toyota's 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. This means you will not have to pay one dime for the repair, parts, or diagnostic time. You take the car in, they fix it, if they have to keep over night, they should provide you with a free loaner car. You bought a new car, you shouldn't be worrying about repairs.

I took a look in both fuse boxes, and it wasn't very clear which fuse was for the Air Conditioning. None of them were labeled with "A/C". I am assuming that there is a fuse for the whole heating and AC system. Maybe I will just try checking all of the fuses to see if any of them are blown. I think it is odd how the light comes on when I push the button though. This leads me to believe that it is not a fuse problem, but something more serious. Man, this stinks!

Look in the appendices of your owner's manual. The fuses are not labelled, they are usually referred to by number position in the fuse box(es). On my 01 the A/C fuse is a type A in the fuse box under the hood (passenger side). Unless there were significant modifications to the electrical system from 01 to 05 I would suspect thats where you should be looking. Incidentally, that fuse also ties into the electric auxiliary cooling fan so its doubly important to check it since your engine could potentially overheat when your car is idling.

Bikeman982

If your car has the warranty - they should cover it. If you check the fuses yourself, it would be easy to tell if one is burnt out and you could replace it.

A similar thing happened with my '05, except that sometimes the air worked, and sometimes it didn't. My problem was electrical, when the air was being installed at the dealership one plug wasn't securly fastened and worked its way loose casusing erratic air-con perofrmance. was looked at this week under warranty, is now fine.

If the air hasn't been on, I don't know how a fuse could blow. perhaps some corrosion in a switch/plug? Still try for the simplest things, check your fuses.

Bikeman982

A similar thing happened with my '05, except that sometimes the air worked, and sometimes it didn't. My problem was electrical, when the air was being installed at the dealership one plug wasn't securly fastened and worked its way loose casusing erratic air-con perofrmance. was looked at this week under warranty, is now fine.

If the air hasn't been on, I don't know how a fuse could blow. perhaps some corrosion in a switch/plug? Still try for the simplest things, check your fuses.

That is also a possibility - one of the connectors may be off. Would do the same thing as a bad fuse - system would not work.

An update on my problem with the AC.... I took the car in to the local Toyota dealer today to have it looked at, and apparently a rock or some other object smashed into the AC condenser in the front of the car and had a big rip in it. It isn't going to be covered under warranty, but I called my insurance company and they said they will most likely cover the $800 repair bill! I recently switched to no deductible, so I got lucky this time. I'm thinking about putting some metal screen in the openings under the bumper to prevent this from happening again though. I can't afford to be replacing AC components all the time, and I put on a lot of miles in Massachusetts where chunks of pavement on the major highways are always coming loose and flying up at cars.

Bikeman982

An update on my problem with the AC.... I took the car in to the local Toyota dealer today to have it looked at, and apparently a rock or some other object smashed into the AC condenser in the front of the car and had a big rip in it. It isn't going to be covered under warranty, but I called my insurance company and they said they will most likely cover the $800 repair bill! I recently switched to no deductible, so I got lucky this time. I'm thinking about putting some metal screen in the openings under the bumper to prevent this from happening again though. I can't afford to be replacing AC components all the time, and I put on a lot of miles in Massachusetts where chunks of pavement on the major highways are always coming loose and flying up at cars.

If a rock did your condenser it, it must have been pretty good size. It would also have gone thru your grille in the front and should have been noticeable. I always do a walk-around on my car (at least once a day) to look for signs of external damage. I too do a lot of highway miles and am constanlty being hit by small objects from the road.

They do sell A/C condensers on e-Bay and they are very easy to change. They are similar to radiators and are located in front of them to get the air coming into the engine while driving. Now we know that your A/C not working was evidenced by the symptoms you described and were caused by a damaged condenser. This may help others in the future that run into the same symptoms on their cars.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)