Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Patch, March 12, 2006

Hi guys,

After being baffled by the engine vibration at idling for quite a while, I couldn't find any problem with the engine. So I spent $60 in a local dealer to check it out. The dealer told me that my front engine mount is worn and needs replacement. They asked for $150 for the mount and another $150 or so for the laber, which I refused. I found that it only costs $45 for the part if you get it online. So, I can either replace it myself or get a repair shop to do it. My question to you corolla gurus is: Is it easy to replace it by yourself? Anything I should pay close attention? Any tips that may make the job easier?

Hmm... I guess it is not just one question, is it?

Thanks in advance. default_smile

Bikeman982

Hi guys,

After being baffled by the engine vibration at idling for quite a while, I couldn't find any problem with the engine. So I spent $60 in a local dealer to check it out. The dealer told me that my front engine mount is worn and needs replacement. They asked for $150 for the mount and another $150 or so for the laber, which I refused. I found that it only costs $45 for the part if you get it online. So, I can either replace it myself or get a repair shop to do it. My question to you corolla gurus is: Is it easy to replace it by yourself? Anything I should pay close attention? Any tips that may make the job easier?

Hmm... I guess it is not just one question, is it?

Thanks in advance. default_smile

I think it is simple (ok, relatively easy) to replace. The biggest problem would be to support the engine and/or the transmission while you change it. I have purchased an engine hoist and I also own a 2-ton jack that I would use, should I need to change one on my car. Basically you have to take the pressure off the mount before you unbolt it. After that you just remove it and replace with a new one. Not too complicated. The front one is actually one of the easier ones to change, since there is not too many things in the way. In my car in the garage I have removed the engine and everything around it, including the front and passenger side motor mounts. I am looking for a transmission for it and that will require the other two motor mounts to come out as well. What year is your car and which engine do you have in it? Do you have any repair manuals that can guide you? Hope this helps.

I think it is simple (ok, relatively easy) to replace. The biggest problem would be to support the engine and/or the transmission while you change it. I have purchased an engine hoist and I also own a 2-ton jack that I would use, should I need to change one on my car. Basically you have to take the pressure off the mount before you unbolt it. After that you just remove it and replace with a new one. Not too complicated. The front one is actually one of the easier ones to change, since there is not too many things in the way. In my car in the garage I have removed the engine and everything around it, including the front and passenger side motor mounts. I am looking for a transmission for it and that will require the other two motor mounts to come out as well. What year is your car and which engine do you have in it? Do you have any repair manuals that can guide you? Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot. default_smile I have a Haynes book. My car is 2000 corolla (VVTI engine) with auto trans. The Haynes manual says to use a jack to raise the engine by pushing up at the oil pan. Make sure use a block of wood between the jack head and the pan to avoid damage. Should it be safe enough? I don't have to touch other mounts when I replace the front one, do I?

Thanks again. default_smile

Bikeman982

Thanks a lot. default_smile I have a Haynes book. My car is 2000 corolla (VVTI engine) with auto trans. The Haynes manual says to use a jack to raise the engine by pushing up at the oil pan. Make sure use a block of wood between the jack head and the pan to avoid damage. Should it be safe enough? I don't have to touch other mounts when I replace the front one, do I?

Thanks again. default_smile

You can follow the guidance in the Haynes book. The biggest danger when supporting the engine by using a jack and pushing it up by the oil pan is denting or crushing the pan. That is why you use the block of wood to spread the upward jack force out over a bigger area on the oil pan. It will be safe, if properly done. You do not have to touch the other mounts since you don't have to raise the engine much. It just has to take the weight of the engine off the mount enough to remove the bolts and enough to pull the mount out. I am sure you could do it without too much trouble.

Question

How many engine mounts on a 1.6 L 1997 Engine?

What are the locations?

How can you physically tell they are worn.

I only found two on my engine and I could not tell if they were worn or not, but I surely have engine vibration at idle

Thanks

Bikeman982

QuestionHow many engine mounts on a 1.6 L 1997 Engine?

What are the locations?

How can you physically tell they are worn.

I only found two on my engine and I could not tell if they were worn or not, but I surely have engine vibration at idle

Thanks

I used to think there were only two, but after taking out an engine I can see there are four.

There is one (when you ar at the front of the car looking into the engine compartment) on the left which holds your air conditioning hose and holds up the left side - the side with the belts, one in the front just behind the radiator, one on the right which actually holds up the transmission, and one in the back that is holding up the transmission (transaxle - differential). That makes four.

You can tell that they are worn by checking the condition of the rubber. If they are worn too much the engine (and transmission, transaxle) will vibrate a lot.

My Haynes says that engine mounts seldom require attention, but broken or deteriorated mounts should be replaced immediately or the added strain placed on the driveline components may cause damage or wear.

The check requires lifting (the book says jacking) the engine enough to take the strain off the mounts. You check to see if the rubber is cracked, hardened or separated from the metal plates. Sometimes the rubber splits right down the center. There is more about making sure they are mounted tight and then a section on how to replace them. Hope this helps.

Before I actually replace the front engine mount, I want to check it myself to see that is really the cause of vibration.

First of all, I followed Haynes to lift the engine a little bit to check the mount. I tried to use a screw driver to move the mount. The movement is not very notable. I don't see rubber deterioation. If the mount is the problem, when the engine is idling and vibrating, if I lift the engine up a little bit to ease some weight on the mount, the vibration should disappear, right? No, the vibration is still there. Now, I doubt the dealer's competence to diagnose the problem.

I put my palm on the plastic engine cover to feel it. Besides the normal trembling, from now and then I feel some rough movement as if some cyclinder hits hard. Any idea what that means?

thanks.

Bikeman982

Before I actually replace the front engine mount, I want to check it myself to see that is really the cause of vibration.

First of all, I followed Haynes to lift the engine a little bit to check the mount. I tried to use a screw driver to move the mount. The movement is not very notable. I don't see rubber deterioation. If the mount is the problem, when the engine is idling and vibrating, if I lift the engine up a little bit to ease some weight on the mount, the vibration should disappear, right? No, the vibration is still there. Now, I doubt the dealer's competence to diagnose the problem.

I put my palm on the plastic engine cover to feel it. Besides the normal trembling, from now and then I feel some rough movement as if some cyclinder hits hard. Any idea what that means?

thanks.

You mean you had the engine running to feel the vibration when it was lifted up by a jack? That seems like it is kind of dangerous.

It sounds to me like it could be a timing problem. That would make the engine run rough and also cause it to vibrate. That is my opinion.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)