Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

New Performance Tires

by mdepo12, March 5, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

Hey i just bought a new 2006 corolla about 5 months ago .... I live in New Jersey as you all probably know, it gets snowy and the roads get rough around here... i really want to buy new tires for my car but i'm not sure which ones to get....does anyone know of any all season tires that wouldn't be too much of an expensive but would upgrade my car's performance?

Bikeman982

I bought Big O Legacy for my car and they seem to be pretty good. You can also get Michelin or Goodyear. I have used them as well and they worked fine. There are many brands of tires and you have to look at what you want as far as traction and durability. Hope this helps.

idk i think i want somethign a little better than that, but not too pricy...thanks for the help though....also if anyone knows what size i shoudl get , please help with that also.... thanks all

Bikeman982

idk i think i want somethign a little better than that, but not too pricy...thanks for the help though....also if anyone knows what size i shoudl get , please help with that also.... thanks all
The Legacy were the best they sold and cost $100 each.

Max

Look into the Bridgestone Potenza G009. I'd recommend 205/60/15 if you're in an LE or S, 195/60/15 if in a CE. Go visit www.tirerack.com for more.

now_driving_VW

The main thing I recommend is snow tires for the winter on stock 15" wheels. It was frustating when driving to Mountain Creek last Thursday when the car in front of you is struggling to do 20 under the speed limit because they were using all-season tires. For cheap snow tires: I would say the (Firestone) Winterforce. I'm really a fan of Green Diamond tires, but these were significantly cheaper. The knobby tread is a little noisy-- but crank the radio a little louder.

For the warmer months.... I recommend getting another set of alloy wheels, giong 16" with 205/55 r16 tires. It would enhance the look and with a shorter sidewall, you'll some slightly better steering response. Cheap tires? Try Kumho ECSTA ASX. They are an excellent tire for the price. You can buy better all-season performance tires....for more money.

what size tires will fit on the stock 15" wheels on the corolla S .... i know it comes with 195/65/15 ...but what other sizes can be put on?

I may be wrong here, but you bought a Corolla which is one of the more expensive and reliable cars out there. Why skimp on tires, but just go and buy 4 new rims and put dedicated snows on if you live in a climate where snow is a factor. Put some nice "all season" tires on for the summer, which is about all they are good for anyway. I'm still shopping, but considering the Goodyear Comfort Treads (205-60-15), which I'm buying in the next few weeks. I bought Blizzak Revos this past fall and am a bit dissapointed that the best part of the tire is only the first 55%.

Bikeman982

When I lived in Massachusetts I had a second set of rims with snow tires mounted on them and did a complete swap-out when the snow came. It was a lot cheaper than buying winter tires that got worn out by driving with them year round, and safer than using summer tires in the snow.

www.edgeracing.com unbeatable prices.

will 195/60/15 , 205/65/15, and 205/60/15 fit on the stock wheels on a 2006 corolla....

for whichever ones fit, what are the advantages of each?

Max

All those will fit. My question to you earlier was which model do you have? The CE comes stock with 185/65/15s, meaning you can plus zero at 195/60. The LE and S come with 195/65/15s. You can plus zero those with 205/60s. Advantage to plus zero is that your speedo and odo will read pretty much the same as they do know, as the tire will be just about the same overall diameter. Of course, you can also plus one if you want, but I wouldn't go wider than the 205s. The tires you are talking about are so close in size I can't see any real difference in any of them, except wider tires with a lower profile look better on most cars, and may improve handling, as well.

oh sorry..i have an S...and i know it comes with 196/65/15....so u think i shoudl go with 205/60?

Max

I would, but it's up to you. You may want to stick with 195/65, or even try a 215/55, but it's not highly recommended. I wouldn't go wider than 205. If you haven't yet checked out tirerack.com, it's a great place to find out what sizes will fit your car, and read reviews on tires.

Bikeman982

Why did Toyota go to the larger size - 15" tires? My generation cars all are 14". Does it improve handling or is it for cosmetic reasons or economical??

now_driving_VW

Cosmetic. With the chunkier proportions, a 14" wheel won't look right.

Why did Toyota go with 14" wheels on the 1993 Corolla when the orevious sedans had 13" wheels?

Why doe toyota use 185/65 r15 on CE vs a almost 3% larger 195/65 r5 on S & LE? Don't know. It's cheaper to standardize them across the board. Toyota does have a history of doing this. Previous 2 generations used 175/65 r14 on the bottom of the line grades versus 185/65 r14 on higher grades.

will a 205/60 give me better handling and traction than a 206/65?

will a 205/60 give me better handling and traction than a 206/65?

The same brand/model 205/60 should give better handling than 205/65. The sidewall should have less give and the actual contact patch will be slightly larger.

Of course you can't compare a brandX/modelA vs brandY/modelB or even brandX/modelA to brandX/modelB this way. There are some brand/models of 205/65 that will outperform another brand model 205/60.

http://www.edgeracing.com/tires/2056015/

try the falken ziex 512, ive heard good/great things about them.

theres also the Toyo Proxes Tpt

i dont know anything about them, but they should be a slightly softer rubber than the ziex 512, which could give better dry traction.

Bikeman982

i dont know anything about them, but they should be a slightly softer rubber than the ziex 512, which could give better dry traction.

What would switching to 70's size tires do for you??

What would switching to 70's size tires do for you??

um well i dont know what size the corolla has stock, but you want to keep the same rotational diameter as stock.

for a 70 series tire to keep the same size as stock on the 93-97 corolla you would need a 175/70/14 tire which would be 2.25 MM taller than stock.

its not hard to find a calculator which will tell you all these things pretty easily.

you would only run a tire with a taller sidewall if you decreased your wheel diameter or something weird like that. there would be no performance benefits. generally you want less sidewall because the sidewall of the tire is what flexes and gives during a turn which is PART of what causes the mushy feeling on initial turn in. the other factor is the tread squirm, which is literally the tread contacting the road wiggling between the surface of the tire.

think of it like this. you have the tread pushed to the road and then the wheel. the contact patch of the tire can wiggle side to side during turns. the shorter the tread the less it squirms and the less sidewall the less the tires contact patch can wiggle side to side in relation to the wheel.

understand?

Bikeman982

Well the owner's manual recommends P175/65R14 or P185/65R14 size tires. When I got the car it had an assortment of different sized tires on it, so I replaced three of the four. I put P185/70R14 on the back and P175/70R14 on the front. They all have good tread and seem to ride pretty good. The back seems a little higher than the front and I like the way that looks. As far as handling, I don't drive that crazy and it handles fine (except maybe for needing new strust). I am not sure what the numbers mean for the tires, but I wanted something wider than the stock ones and as long as they were not worn I felt that they were good. When I eventually wear them out I might replace with some that are even lower and wider for better traction and stability, as well as the looks.

195/55/14 are as large of a tire as you can safely put on the stock wheels for the 93-97.

all 4 tires should be the same size, as the corolla is not designed for staggered sizes. right now your car will have even more of a tendency to understeer than it already has.

you should pick either 185/65 14, 175/70 14, or 195/55 14 for all 4. 175/70 14 will net the best gas mileage and the least traction, 185/65 14 will be a nice balance, with 195/55 14 being the best traction and the greatest possible loss of fuel mileage due to increased rolling resistance.

Bikeman982

195/55/14 are as large of a tire as you can safely put on the stock wheels for the 93-97.

all 4 tires should be the same size, as the corolla is not designed for staggered sizes. right now your car will have even more of a tendency to understeer than it already has.

you should pick either 185/65 14, 175/70 14, or 195/55 14 for all 4. 175/70 14 will net the best gas mileage and the least traction, 185/65 14 will be a nice balance, with 195/55 14 being the best traction and the greatest possible loss of fuel mileage due to increased rolling resistance.

I will consider that next time I change out the tires.

I will consider that next time I change out the tires.

since you live in a warm place where temps are almost above 40F all year (you live in a warm part of cali?) you could run summer only tires which would get you AWESOME traction with the only downside being a slight increase in cost and the fact that theyre pretty soft and would last only about 2 years maybe. but since the corollas tire size is rather small...1. they would be cheap 2. might be hard to find.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...re1=yes&place=0

$80 each with 200 tread wear, they should give AMAZING grip on a car as light as the corolla.

however if thats not your cup of tea ive heard NOTHING bad about these

http://www.edgeracing.com/tires/1856514/

theyre $36 each in 185/65 14. im going to be replacing my yokohama avids with those in that size this summer i think. hopefully theyre as good as everyone says they are.

Topic List