Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2000 Front Struts Replacement

by korman, February 27, 2006

So at 60k I am due for now front struts. Any brands to suggest? How much should I spend?

KYB GR-2s on all 4 corners. You will love them. Or, you can just go with the KYB OE shock too, but if you wore it out at 60K miles, I have a feeling you live on some bad roads, or drive spirited. GR-2s are slightly stiffer then stock, but not too harsh at all. They are a very nice upgrade that is 100% streetable. They will cost you about the same as your standard monro shock, but they are made with solid tubes (no welded seam on the side of the shock/strut) and build and ride quality is awsome.

For the price, they are probably one of the best shocks you can get. I think tirerack sells them, so you can check them for prices. At 60K miles, you could probably change them yourself. Nothing should be stuck on and everything should come apart like it's suppost too. I did a strut shock change on a car a few months ago and the only problem I ran in to was the rear shock was stuck on the bottom shock post on the car. We had to tear the rubber bushing apart to get it off the car. Then I had to carefully use a cutting wheel to split the round sleave off the post. I sprayed PB blaster all over the place and used vise grips and a rubber hammer to start turning the sleave from side to side. Finally the little **** came off and I used lots of greese on the new parts. This was one a much older car with much more miles. 60K work should be a walk in the park compared to what I had to do.

theres also a couple of different colors of koni inserts that you can install. i think the red, yellow, and blue are possible on the corollas. however inserts are substantially more work than just swapping new shocks in.

also check your ride height against specs to make sure your springs arent sagging as that can cause a harsh ride and kill shocks.

Check Ebay for awesome prices shipped to your door. You should be able to find all four KYB GR-2 or Tokico HP (my preference) struts for about $250 shipped.

Bikeman982

So at 60k I am due for now front struts. Any brands to suggest? How much should I spend?
I am at 143,000 miles and I don't think my struts have ever been replaced. The ride is kind of harsh and I am also thinking I need to replace my struts. E-Bay seems to have some good prices.

i am considering this as well. it'll be nice this summer and my ride is pretty rough. any suggestions on springs other than OE? my rear ones are sagging pretty good.

If you want to use lowering springs try TRD, Eibach, Koni or Tein H-Tech. These springs will lower your car about 1" to 1.5" and will greatly increase handling.

i am considering this as well. it'll be nice this summer and my ride is pretty rough. any suggestions on springs other than OE? my rear ones are sagging pretty good.

Your shocks are sagging, not your springs. You probably don't really need new ones, but if you want to, then you want to do it with the shocks.

now_driving_VW

theres also a couple of different colors of koni inserts that you can install. i think the red, yellow, and blue are possible on the corollas. however inserts are substantially more work than just swapping new shocks in.

also check your ride height against specs to make sure your springs arent sagging as that can cause a harsh ride and kill shocks.

Red = OEM replacements (still firmer)

Yellow = Adjustables

Golf = the new FSD line

Your shocks are sagging, not your springs. You probably don't really need new ones, but if you want to, then you want to do it with the shocks.

shocks DO NOT affect ride heigh. springs do and only springs will sag and lower a car. THE ONLY thing a shock/strut does is dampen the springs rebound to keep the wheel from bouncing up and down uncontrolably. struts/shocks DO NOT hold up any weight, that is SOLEY the spring.

Is it normal for the rear end on this generation to sag more in the rear? My 99 has been like this as long as I can remember.

It's normal.

shocks DO NOT affect ride heigh. springs do and only springs will sag and lower a car. THE ONLY thing a shock/strut does is dampen the springs rebound to keep the wheel from bouncing up and down uncontrolably. struts/shocks DO NOT hold up any weight, that is SOLEY the spring.

Sorry, I am 100% right on this. I just changed worn out shocks on my car a few months ago. My rear end was sagging. New shocks with the same springs returned the car hight to normal. New shocked raised the hight of the car. The springs do hold up most of the cars weight, but blown shocks can collaps too much and sag the hight of the car.

Sorry, I am 100% right on this. I just changed worn out shocks on my car a few months ago. My rear end was sagging. New shocks with the same springs returned the car hight to normal. New shocked raised the hight of the car. The springs do hold up most of the cars weight, but blown shocks can collaps too much and sag the hight of the car.

no, its because your new suspension has not settled yet. tell me if its still at its correct height in about 2 months. it can take that long for rear suspension to resettle. it took about 8 days for the passenger rear corner to resettle after i replaced that strut because it was blown by an accident. oh hey gee guess what? that corner of my car is still sagging! maybe its because my rear springs are compressed 1/2 inch shorter than specs on them!! i just finsished taking a suspension and steering class and the point that ONLY springs will EVER affect ride height on stock suspension was HAMMERED home repeatedly.

It's been two months. Still the same. The car hight didn't go too high, it went back to the way it was when it was new.

The only reason I knew that I had a blown rear shock (I knew they were worn, not blown) is that I was walking up to my car and only one side was sagging really low. It looked like I had lowering springs, but only on one axle. We are talking a 100% flat serface and everything.

You might be taking a class, but have you delt with acually changing out blown suspention with new suspention?

Bikeman982

Anyone want to argue that it is a combination of springs and shocks (struts) that give a car the height and the handling??

You might be taking a class, but have you delt with acually changing out blown suspention with new suspention?
yes as i said i replaced a blown/jammed shock on my own vehicle, as well as several others.

Bikeman982

I still say that it is a combination of spring strength and shock (strut) force that gives the car the height.

Bikeman982

I think that if the struts are blown that they can only go down as far as the compressed springs allow. They definitely affect the ride and the height as well.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)