Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Xrs Newbie Here

by ScottsXRS, February 26, 2006

Hi Everyone:

I just purchased a 2005 Corolla XRS with 11k miles. I will be picking it up early next week. Is there anyone here who personally owns one and/or can tell me about its reliability vs. the regular Corolla models? Thank you in advance!

Scott

Congratulations on the purchase of XRS. I wish you very happy XRSRolling for years to come.

Bikeman982

Hi Everyone:

I just purchased a 2005 Corolla XRS with 11k miles. I will be picking it up early next week. Is there anyone here who personally owns one and/or can tell me about its reliability vs. the regular Corolla models? Thank you in advance!

Scott

Welcome. I hope you read these forums and can get something from them.

Welcome to the forum. I have some experiences with the different engine types (almost bought the Corolla XRS but got a much better deal with my Matrix XRS). I currently own an 8th gen Corolla with the 1ZZFE and a 9th Corolla/Matrix (1st gen Matrix) with the 2ZZGE. Both have be extremely reliable, good on gas, and relatively cheap to keep up.

As for reliability - as long as you stay on top of the maintenance and resist the temptation to hit "lift" until the car is fully broken in (in your case, I hope the original owner did this) you shouldn't see too much differences between the XRS and other trim levels. Shifter is a bit weird compared to the 5 speeds and clutch takeup is a little different - but you should get used to them pretty quickly.

Things that I liked about the 2ZZGE over the 1ZZFE counterparts:

- decent low end power with nice jump at the switch over point to the big cam (addictive pull at the lift point).

- got better mileage the harder I drove it (haven't figured that one out yet).

- lots of hidden potential if you are a motor head and like to mess with cars

- disc brakes all around (much easier than messing with drums brakes, much better initial bite and smoother modulation of brakes)

Things that I didn't like:

- goes through gas faster

- recommends premium (91 octane or higher) fuel

- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde personality got old

- got to get it up in the revs before it starts making power (highway cruise on the Corolla has RPMs around 2000, same speed with the XRS is around 3000 and some change)

Most of the problems with the engines have been worked out before they got to the Corolla XRS. The biggest problem of the lack of torque has been addressed with the Corolla XRS tuning (more torque at low revs by sacrificing top end revs).

Thanks for the replies everyone! This site has been a great resource to me and I hope to learn even more. I've always been pretty knowedgable about Corollas, but I never knew too much about the XRS model, aside from it being a detuned Celica with 4 doors. I'm sure that I will enjoy this car thoroughly. I will be active on these boards, as I am on saturnfans.com with my Saturn. Thanks again everyone, and look forward to being a contributor here!

-Scott

Welcome to the forum. I have some experiences with the different engine types (almost bought the Corolla XRS but got a much better deal with my Matrix XRS). I currently own an 8th gen Corolla with the 1ZZFE and a 9th Corolla/Matrix (1st gen Matrix) with the 2ZZGE. Both have be extremely reliable, good on gas, and relatively cheap to keep up.

As for reliability - as long as you stay on top of the maintenance and resist the temptation to hit "lift" until the car is fully broken in (in your case, I hope the original owner did this) you shouldn't see too much differences between the XRS and other trim levels. Shifter is a bit weird compared to the 5 speeds and clutch takeup is a little different - but you should get used to them pretty quickly.

Things that I liked about the 2ZZGE over the 1ZZFE counterparts:

- decent low end power with nice jump at the switch over point to the big cam (addictive pull at the lift point).

- got better mileage the harder I drove it (haven't figured that one out yet).

- lots of hidden potential if you are a motor head and like to mess with cars

- disc brakes all around (much easier than messing with drums brakes, much better initial bite and smoother modulation of brakes)

Things that I didn't like:

- goes through gas faster

- recommends premium (91 octane or higher) fuel

- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde personality got old

- got to get it up in the revs before it starts making power (highway cruise on the Corolla has RPMs around 2000, same speed with the XRS is around 3000 and some change)

Most of the problems with the engines have been worked out before they got to the Corolla XRS. The biggest problem of the lack of torque has been addressed with the Corolla XRS tuning (more torque at low revs by sacrificing top end revs).

Bikeman982

Welcome to the forum and looking forward to your contributions.

Welcome to the Corolland family.

Nice choice of cars, the XRS. default_smile

If I had more morey, I would have gotten one of those.

Welcome to the Corolland family.Nice choice of cars, the XRS. default_smile

I bought mine used with 11k miles on the odometer, and got it for $14,488. I absolutely love it, I pick it up on Thursday. I love the Optitron guages (borrowed from Lexus, I believe), and the short-throw 6 spd. shifter. I have always been a fan of Corollas, and in the back of my head I knew I'd buy one some day if I found "the right one". I'll have pictures up shortly, once I drive it home from the dealership!

default_smile

-Scott

Welcome to the Corolland family.

Nice choice of cars, the XRS. default_smile

I bought mine used with 11k miles on the odometer, and got it for $14,488. I absolutely love it, I pick it up on Thursday. I love the Optitron guages (borrowed from Lexus, I believe), and the short-throw 6 spd. shifter. I have always been a fan of Corollas, and in the back of my head I knew I'd buy one some day if I found "the right one". I'll have pictures up shortly, once I drive it home from the dealership!

default_smile

-Scott

Check out my car here:

https://www.corolland.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18593

default_smile

Bikeman982

Sounds and looks like a good deal for the car. You can't usually go wrong with a good 'ol Corolla!!

Sounds and looks like a good deal for the car. You can't usually go wrong with a good 'ol Corolla!!

I picked up my Corolla today, I am absolutely in love with it! I'm looking forward to my commute in the morning, just so I can drive it, lol. It's such a blast to drive, also comfortable. While it does require premium fuel, it just sips it. So far, so good! default_smile

-Scott

Bikeman982

I picked up my Corolla today, I am absolutely in love with it! I'm looking forward to my commute in the morning, just so I can drive it, lol. It's such a blast to drive, also comfortable. While it does require premium fuel, it just sips it. So far, so good! default_smile

-Scott

Gotta love the gas mileage!!

Thanks for the replies everyone! This site has been a great resource to me and I hope to learn even more. I've always been pretty knowedgable about Corollas, but I never knew too much about the XRS model, aside from it being a detuned Celica with 4 doors. I'm sure that I will enjoy this car thoroughly. I will be active on these boards, as I am on saturnfans.com with my Saturn. Thanks again everyone, and look forward to being a contributor here!

-Scott

[

Congrats on the new purchase, it sounds like you got a great deal. This site is great, I've learned a bunch and I check it daily. I also suggest that you check out www.9thgencorolla.com , it's another great resource that has tons of information about DIY repairs and mods, most with pictures.

Hi Everyone:

Scott

Nice deal and nice ride. Keep up on the maintenance and it should be a reliable ride for you. I've always thought the XRS was a nice bump for Corolla line but I just don't want to shift any more.

I think you'll find this forum friendly and helpful.....welcome aboard.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)