Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Outside Door Handle Driver Side Front Door

By crypticlineage, February 19, 2006

I am looking to buy an outside door handle for my 2000 corolla VE. It is the one on driver's door. There is plentiful of them available on Ebay for 13.75 plus shipping ($6.00). I was wondering if anyone has experience with them? The original toyota part is priced at $85 and I think you can get a cheaper original one from an online vendor for around $60. So I was wondering how good these cheap eBay ones are. Any feedback highly appreciated.

Also, I may have to ask you guys for help in installing this handle. My mechanic is going to help me take the window rolling handle off (he said it needs special tool), but I am going to do everything else by myself. Bikeman: I may solicit your help in this regard. Thank you so much.

V

Bikeman982

I am looking to buy an outside door handle for my 2000 corolla VE. It is the one on driver's door. There is plentiful of them available on Ebay for 13.75 plus shipping ($6.00). I was wondering if anyone has experience with them? The original toyota part is priced at $85 and I think you can get a cheaper original one from an online vendor for around $60. So I was wondering how good these cheap eBay ones are. Any feedback highly appreciated.

Also, I may have to ask you guys for help in installing this handle. My mechanic is going to help me take the window rolling handle off (he said it needs special tool), but I am going to do everything else by myself. Bikeman: I may solicit your help in this regard. Thank you so much.

V

I consider myself very knowlegeable about door handles. Both front and rear, inside and out. I have changed out numerous ones. If you want to know my experience with e-Bay purchases of door handles, it is fairly extensive. I also have obtained some from junkyards and still have some now. If you need help, this is the place to come.

Maybe we can all help each other out with this door handle topic. I'm considering ordering 4 handles colour matched from Toyota. My dealer quoted me about $38.00 CDN. each, so if you were quoted around 85 bucks, then maybe I better jump at it. I would then have 4 handles from my '05 for sale although I doubt they would fit older generations.

The other thing is.....I've never changed them and don't know how much work involved.

Bikeman982

Door handles are not too complicated to change. The outside ones are more difficult than the inside ones. If you can follow your manual, it should tell you how. If you need help, call me 707 451-9060, or my cell 707 287-1734.

Hey Bikeman, thanks for offering to help so much. I do not have a service manual, and I dont feel like spending $117 on getting one right now. So what I am going to do is draw some sketches of the outside and inside of door, and post links to them here, so people can advice what parts to take out sequencially. I can then go on from there.

Muzak: I dont think the 05 handles will fit older cars, so we're out of luck here. I am ordering one from eBay this week.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if both of your front door handles break so you cant open them from outside. Is there a way to get into the car from trunk?

Bikeman982

Hey Bikeman, thanks for offering to help so much. I do not have a service manual, and I dont feel like spending $117 on getting one right now. So what I am going to do is draw some sketches of the outside and inside of door, and post links to them here, so people can advice what parts to take out sequencially. I can then go on from there.

Muzak: I dont think the 05 handles will fit older cars, so we're out of luck here. I am ordering one from eBay this week.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if both of your front door handles break so you cant open them from outside. Is there a way to get into the car from trunk?

Sounds like a plan. Some things have to be done in a specific order, while others can be done without sequential preference.

I don't know all the door handles, but definitely my years and some I have seen at the junkyards. I usually can figure different ones out as I get to them. Most of it is mechanical common sense.

If both outside front door handles break at the same time, unless your electric or remote work, you may not be able to get in. You can get in thru the trunk only if you have fold down rear seats. It would be a crawl thru, but I can do it on my cars. Hope this helps.

It must be nice having a manual for your Corolla. Here in Ontario...I can't even buy one! I was told by my Toyota dealer last summer they don't even have any themselves. It seems everything is done online now and that's how they have to look stuff up.

I posted a URL to order manuals from Toyota in your other post in toyota general.

Bikeman982

Sounds like a plan. Some things have to be done in a specific order, while others can be done without sequential preference.

I don't know all the door handles, but definitely my years and some I have seen at the junkyards. I usually can figure different ones out as I get to them. Most of it is mechanical common sense.

If both outside front door handles break at the same time, unless your electric or remote work, you may not be able to get in. You can get in thru the trunk only if you have fold down rear seats. It would be a crawl thru, but I can do it on my cars. Hope this helps.

I never had a car where the door handles broke on both sides. I do like the folding rear seats. They are excellent for carrying longer items that won't fit inside the trunk. I use mine when I play hockey - I can put one seatback down and put my hockey sticks inside. Mighty convenient.

I just received my door handle that I bought on eBay but unfortunately, the plastic on one side was chipped. It does not make any difference mechanically, but cosmetically it looks bad, so the guy is replacing it. In the meantime, I am going to draw and post some sketches of the door assembly today or early tomorrow.

Bikeman982

I just received my door handle that I bought on eBay but unfortunately, the plastic on one side was chipped. It does not make any difference mechanically, but cosmetically it looks bad, so the guy is replacing it. In the meantime, I am going to draw and post some sketches of the door assembly today or early tomorrow.
Don't you hate it when that happens?

Topic List: Go to Corolland Classifieds