Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Patch, February 11, 2006

Hi guys,

Wonder if anyone can help me with this annoying issue. My corolla's engine shakes when it is idling and warm. I can see it shaking. I can also feel it when I am sitting in the car. If I put the gear at DRIVE, the vibration is a little bit more obvious. Putting it at NEUTRAL, then less obvious. If I rev it up a little bit, that vibration will go away. The check engine was never on.

When I start it cold, it doesn't vibrate. After a while, I hear some louder hissing noise coming from the engine. At first, the noise is on and off. Quickly after, the noise will stay on. Don't know if this noise is related to shaking engine.

Any ideas about what potential cause would be?

I also want to do some checking myself. The local dealers charge $120 just to check it out. How do I attach a tachometer to it so I can see what the idle speed is? My car doesn't come with a tachometer.

Thanks a lot. default_smile

Bikeman982

Engine shaking could be numerous things. Could be a tune up item such as plugs,wires, distributor rotor, cap etc. Shaking could also be worn motor mounts. Most likely could also be timing out of adjustment. These are just a few.

Engine shaking could be numerous things. Could be a tune up item such as plugs,wires, distributor rotor, cap etc. Shaking could also be worn motor mounts. Most likely could also be timing out of adjustment. These are just a few.

Yes, I understand that. That is why I wan to pinpoint the root cause by gathering more information first. Otherwise, I may end up replacing tons of parts. For example, if the engine doesn't shake if RPM is up, does that mean the motor mounts are OK?

Thanks. default_smile

Bikeman982

Yes, I understand that. That is why I wan to pinpoint the root cause by gathering more information first. Otherwise, I may end up replacing tons of parts. For example, if the engine doesn't shake if RPM is up, does that mean the motor mounts are OK?

Thanks. default_smile

Without seeing the car and hearing it, it is difficult to say. You can try the obvious first and the cheapest methods. You can do some initial checks, such as inspecting everything, especially spark plugs. Check engine compression, change the spark plugs if they look bad, inspect distributor rotor (can be lightly sanded if it looks bad). A cracked distributor cap is difficult to detect and could also cause your symptoms. You can check your wires by running the engine in a dark area and observing for shorts - they can also be metered for resistance with an ohmeter. Check the engine when it is running and notice when it shakes. It could be on a regular basis which indicates something specific, or it could randomly shake which indicates an intermittent problem. If it seems to lope when running or idles erratically but smoothes out when you give it more gas and it goes to a higher RPM, that usually indicates a possible vacuum leak, a leaking EGR valve, a clogged air filter, a malfunction in the fuel injection or engine control system, a leaking head gasket, a timing belt and/or pulleys worn, or camshaft lobes worn. If it seems to be missing at idle speeds it is normally spark plugs, wires, a vacuum leak, timing, compression problem, or a problem with the fuel injection system. As you can see, it is possible to be one of many things.

It would help to know the year, engine type, mileage, maintenance history, and any other possibly relevant data.

I've had similar problems with the various car's I've owned or dealt with in some way. What is the condition of your PCV valve? Does it rattle when you shake it? If not, it could be bad, and could be the cause of your rough idle. If it won't rattle, the little valve thingy inside is gummed up. Replace if necessary, then see if that clears up the problem. This is probably the easiest and cheapest thing to fix, so I'd start there.

It would help to know the year, engine type, mileage, maintenance history, and any other possibly relevant data.

I've had similar problems with the various car's I've owned or dealt with in some way. What is the condition of your PCV valve? Does it rattle when you shake it? If not, it could be bad, and could be the cause of your rough idle. If it won't rattle, the little valve thingy inside is gummed up. Replace if necessary, then see if that clears up the problem. This is probably the easiest and cheapest thing to fix, so I'd start there.

As I stated it in the topic title, it is a 2000 Corolla CE. I got it in 1999 and it has only a little more than 55K miles on it (I don't drive much). The last 30K-mile service was 2 years and 2 months ago. PCV was changed then. I guess it is about the time to check it. Actually the engine vibration issue was there at least one year ago. Wonder if a PCV valve can fail so quickly. Anyway, it is worth checking it up now. I also replaced the air filter 3 months ago so I guess air filter shouldn't be the potential cause. Idling sounds fine. I don't feel it is going to miss or stall. It just vibrates.

Thanks. default_smile

Bikeman982

Hi guys,

Wonder if anyone can help me with this annoying issue. My corolla's engine shakes when it is idling and warm. I can see it shaking. I can also feel it when I am sitting in the car. If I put the gear at DRIVE, the vibration is a little bit more obvious. Putting it at NEUTRAL, then less obvious. If I rev it up a little bit, that vibration will go away. The check engine was never on.

When I start it cold, it doesn't vibrate. After a while, I hear some louder hissing noise coming from the engine. At first, the noise is on and off. Quickly after, the noise will stay on. Don't know if this noise is related to shaking engine.

Any ideas about what potential cause would be?

I also want to do some checking myself. The local dealers charge $120 just to check it out. How do I attach a tachometer to it so I can see what the idle speed is? My car doesn't come with a tachometer.

Thanks a lot. default_smile

The hissing noise could be an air leak. I would check all vacuum tubes and especially the air intake area.

The hissing noise could be an air leak. I would check all vacuum tubes and especially the air intake area.

Yeah, that is definitely a place I should check out. It is kind of hard to pinpoint where that sound comes from. It always happens a little before the engine goes to the warm idle. It is not there when the engine starts cold in the beginning. Don't know what kind of tool I should use to figure out where that sound comes from. Any experience with stethoscope?

I also hear clicking sound from the place where vacuum/coolant hoses are cluttered together. I guess that is some valve working, isn't it?

Thanks. default_smile

Bikeman982

Yeah, that is definitely a place I should check out. It is kind of hard to pinpoint where that sound comes from. It always happens a little before the engine goes to the warm idle. It is not there when the engine starts cold in the beginning. Don't know what kind of tool I should use to figure out where that sound comes from. Any experience with stethoscope?

I also hear clicking sound from the place where vacuum/coolant hoses are cluttered together. I guess that is some valve working, isn't it?

Thanks. default_smile

I have not used a stethoscope, but I would highly recommend it for isolating engine noise. I bet it could detect more than just the naked ears.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)