Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

New Corolla Breakin

by Dai_Shan, June 9, 2004

Dai_Shan

Well folks, first day on the forums here and look forward to being an active member. Just became the proud owner of my first NEW car, and first toyota. Its the 2005 Corolla S (auto, sports/power, weathergaurd).

Being my first new car I would like to take car of it best I can(for now at least) haha and wanted to know any of your guys' steps to breakin a new car...percautions....stuff like that.

Dealer: "take it easy first 500mi, no drag'n, don't use cruise control(constant speed/rpms)"

anything otherthings to follow?

Early oil change? (clean out system)

Undercarrige rust spray from autobody place? (before winter hits)

Thanks for any input (i did a search couldn't find a good thread so if you know of one give me a link/or title of it)

You pretty much got it there - go easy for the first couple hundred miles and then follow a maintance schedule that fits your driving conditions.

Early oil changes are no longer recommended - new engines are built to much tighter specs and better QC in manufacturing. You need it for a rebuilt engine - but brand new from the factory - just go with a regular oil change, keep an eye on the oil levels during the break-in period.

Undercarriage rust-proofing, that is a personal call. I got mine done at the dealer - had a couple bad winters, had zero problems. Most new body panels resist rust very well on their own - but the rust proofing seems to help with reducing road noise, compared with similar cars without rustproofers.

Good Luck.

Dai_Shan

thanks for the info on the roadnoise, i hadn't heard that before....I guess thats one more coin on the scales of the "Pro Rustproofer"

I stayed away from the dealship rustproof since I had heard some negative stuff from dealer addon's etc...and figured like most things you can get it cheaper/better elsewhere. And know what ya got out of the deal etc.

I'll watch that oil. Amongst the other fluids of course.

It sure is tuff "taking it easy" haha default_smile

Dai_Shan

Oh and also, on the 2004-2005 Corolla S anyone know if the steering wheel, shifter, side arm rests are real leather? I am just wondering the best conditioning products for various interior surfaces.

Little more research yeilded this good Break-In guild: http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=1250

(interestingly they recommend an oil filter and oil change after the 1000mi break-in and an interesting break In schedule)

Guest davidkd

the shift knob and wheel cover are real leather, that is all that i believe is leather.

Topic List