Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2004 And Earlier Radio Harness Adapters For 2005 Upgrade Jbl Radio And

Guest two37

Hello, I have a 2004 Corolla LE and would like to install a 2005 upgrade JBL 6-CD radio (86120-02450) and matching JBL external amp (86120-02010) but the connectors on my wiring harness are not compatible (pre 4/2004?). I bought the radio/amp combo very inexpensively off of ebay because the radio that was in my car when I bought it (an aftermarket JVC piece-of-cr_p) died. Here are my questions:

1. Are ALL 3 radio ports and BOTH external amp ports utilized once installed? This is an important question to be answered because my external amp came with a pigtail on 1 of its 2 ports (the larger of the 2) AND I have found a reseller who is selling the same radio WITH a pigtail on 1 of its 3 ports (the largest of the 3); he won't sell me the pigtail separately but I may still buy them from him anyway then simply relist the radio on ebay just to get the radio pigtail IF it is, in fact, the only port being used once it’s installed. I have tried to locate the pigtails separately for both the radio and external amp for the purpose of making my own harness adapter but have had no success; I am an Electrical Engineer by trade so I consider myself to be very handy at things like this.

2. Instead of "re-inventing the wheel", does such a harness adapter already exist?

3. Where can I find a pin/wiring diagram/table for BOTH the radio AND the external amp?

Any suggestions or info is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to contact me directly at two37@yahoo.com. Thanks, Chris

I take it was the OEM JBL upgraded system? Best shot would be the dealer, since JBL to endusers are usually restricted to separate amps and speakers. Hopefully, you are on good terms with them. I've gotten printouts on many electrical components from my service advisor. Other than that - you might be on your own to pinout the audio connectors (not too bad if you can get in far enough into the headunit).

Also - I'd be highly suspect if the darn thing works correctly if you do get it wired up, I hope it does work out for you. Over the past several years working on systems from BOSE, JBL, and some others - they tend to add inline filters and crossover networks from the head unit to speakers (that's why when you replace the speakers or headunits - then never sound quite right - have to pull ALL the wiring). BOSE was the worst - even adding proprietary circuitry (black box) between the headunit and amp - so that you could not use one without the other.

I've looked on my service manuals (nothing on the JBL, only Fijitsu-10 (Eclipse)) - no pinouts - just remove / replace.

Guest two37

Hi fishexpo101

Yes, it's the OEM JBL upgraded system. I do have a good relationship with a Parts guy over at my Toyota dealer; he has already confirmed that the dash harness would cost several hundred $$$ but he does have the wiring diagrams for the components. It is still unclear though how many of the ports are in use once installed. I know that sometimes manufacturers have extra ports for diagnostic purposes; I can only hope that is the case here. Thanks for checking and I'll let you know what happens...

Chris

I'm pretty sure that one of the ports is dedicated for an optional CD changer - but I'm unsure which one of the ports its for. I wish I had more info on that particular system. Let us know how it turns out.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)