Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2000 Corolla Strut Installation

by JohnO356, January 28, 2006

What do you consider a fair labor charge for installing 4 new struts on the 2000 Corolla? The Flat Rate manual times the job as 2 hours for the front, 4 hours for the rear. Personally, I don't think it should take that long.

if theres no rust or corrosion and everything goes perfect then you could do it in less time.

but nothing goes perfect and theres always rust.

That's about right. Took me about 4 hours a corner - taking my time with conventional hand tools (no air tools) and double checking all the work. Also depends on what you wnat to have done - strut replacement, strut/springs, coilovers, new swaybars, bushing, etc.

Thing about flat-rate - doesn't matter if they get the job done it half the time - you get billed for the full rate. If they take too much time - you get billed for the flat-rate.

Well, for me it's too much of a job. I've got access to air tools and a hoist, but the hoist is the "drive on" type, and you really need a lift where you can drop the suspension. The guy wants $400 labor (I bought the struts). I guess I'll go with that, he's just down the road. What I consider overpayment I'll write off for convenience.

Bikeman982

Well, for me it's too much of a job. I've got access to air tools and a hoist, but the hoist is the "drive on" type, and you really need a lift where you can drop the suspension. The guy wants $400 labor (I bought the struts). I guess I'll go with that, he's just down the road. What I consider overpayment I'll write off for convenience.
I think $400 for about 6 hours of work is reasonable, especially if it inconvenient for you to do yourself. I am thinking about doing my cars struts and I plan on doing the work myself. What else (such as special tools) are required to do it and is it just a straight swap out? I heard that it requires some spring compressors and also some struts are not identical and some modifications are needed. Anyone know about that?

Looking at the Chilton manual, it doesn't seem that you need a spring compressor. Chilton says after the new shock is in , lift the suspension with a jack to slightly compress the spring before tightening the bolts. Looked at the instruction sheet with a new front shock, and it says use a compressor to compress the spring. Seems either way would work. Air tools would help, but I think you can do it with just regular hand tools. Have fun.

Bikeman982

Looking at the Chilton manual, it doesn't seem that you need a spring compressor. Chilton says after the new shock is in , lift the suspension with a jack to slightly compress the spring before tightening the bolts. Looked at the instruction sheet with a new front shock, and it says use a compressor to compress the spring. Seems either way would work. Air tools would help, but I think you can do it with just regular hand tools. Have fun.
Excellent! I had never thought of using a jack to compress the springs. That would effectively do the same thing as a spring compression tool. I don't have an air tool, but I am pretty handy with conventional ones.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)