Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

High-beam Dash Light Blinking

By jpkomm, January 27, 2006

For some reason, the high-beam indicator on the instrument cluster keeps constantly blinking when the headlights are off. If you turn the headlights on, it stops blinking. I haven't tried turning on the high-beams yet because I wanted to get and idea about what this car is trying to tell me. It is a 2001 Corolla CE. It is my mom's car and the constant blinking (it is an audible clicking as well) is about to drive her mad. Could someone please shed some light on this? Is there a button somewhere she might of hit or could it be something going bad? It has been a bulletproof car for 63k miles. Thanks!

Max

Sounds like an electrical short.

It is a rhythmical blink at 1 blink per second, so I'm not so sure it could be a short. Wouldn't it be more erratic if it were a short? Also not sure why I can hear an audible clicking noise since I don't recall ever hearing one when I turn on the high-beams.

how about calling a dealership or looking it up in the owners manual. try turning on the high beams to see if its indicating a burnt out bulb. do both low beams light up?

may be it is sending a message, like the blinking of the CEL in the OBD I thingy (or whatever it is called).

or

it is sending a signal to outer space default_ph34r

Just a bit of an update. I tried the car again as soon as I got home just a bit ago. Both high beams and low beams work (all the bulbs). There is one thing I did notice though when I turned it on. The headlights and tail lights normally come on as soon as you turn on the car... well now they don't. Can't help but wonder if the blinking is a secret message telling me there is a relay out or something. Ugh. Called a Dealer and he couldn't give me a straight answer other than "bring it in so they can check it out". I would normally not have a problem with this if it weren't for the fact the nearest decent dealership is some 60 miles away.

Anyone have any solid ideas I might be able to have one of the local shops around here check before I drive all the way to a dealer? I would of looked in the manual, but after fighting with a Toyota dealership about my certified vehicle not having a manual, I finally gave up. Hehe

Anyways, any more suggestions are appreciated. default_smile

try calling other dealers.

try posing as a shop thats stumped and not as a clueless customer.

You can try covering up the light sensor on the dash (right up next to the dash - covered up with a plastic dome on the driver's side). It sounds like there is a problem with the DRLs or Twilight feature built into the Toyota with that feature. You mentioned that the flash is in time with a ticking noise. To rule out the DRLs as the components causing the problems - need to check some relays and fuses. The DRL main relay is on the passenger side right under the airbag module. The DRL relay blocks are located under the hood behind the passenger sied front lamp assembly. The DRL fuse is located behind the driver's side front lamp assembly - between the battery and the fender.

If that doesn't seem to be the ticket - headlamp relays and fuses are next - found in the same locations as the DRL ones. After that - more of a wiring harness issue. Dealer would be the next best thing at that point. Good Luck.

Bikeman982

For some reason, the high-beam indicator on the instrument cluster keeps constantly blinking when the headlights are off. If you turn the headlights on, it stops blinking. I haven't tried turning on the high-beams yet because I wanted to get and idea about what this car is trying to tell me. It is a 2001 Corolla CE. It is my mom's car and the constant blinking (it is an audible clicking as well) is about to drive her mad. Could someone please shed some light on this? Is there a button somewhere she might of hit or could it be something going bad? It has been a bulletproof car for 63k miles. Thanks!
Did you find out what has caused the blinking??

Bad_dude

That is normal dude. My car is the same way. It's for the daytime running lights. It blinks when it's off. If you flicker the high beam once, the lights will come on.

Good luck.

Bikeman982

Sounded more like a bad relay, but it could be normal operation for the DRL.

Guest Same issue

I have the exact same issue with my mom’s 2001 Corolla. Been trying to figure it out as well. No way that it’s normal. It’s irritating for sure, and it behaves identically to everything you described above. I was figuring a relay as well. So far no luck—

• 110 posts

I would take it to the dealer. If it needs fixing, get a quote. I have a 2003 (9th gen - yours is 8th gen). My "daytime running lights" are the low beams, but are slightly less bright than when the low beam is on. It could be a bad relay. Often these are inexpensive modules that can be bought online (I go to Rock Auto). Now, on a side note, perhaps unrelated, it could be a wiring issue. Rodents have been known to chew stuff that feels good in their mouth. My daughters 2006 Corolla S had problem with wiper washer not working. Seems that a rat or mouse chewed it through. Dealer found and fixed (quite inexpensive), which saved me a lot of time.

• 110 posts

One thing I forgot to mention, was to look in the owners manual. For newer Corollas, it should be available online if you don't have hard copy. It should explain the blinking.

Guest dmabery

I also have a 2001 Corolla and it doing the exact same thing. Has been doing this for about a month now. All my lights seem to be working fine. Seems like it has to be some kind of code? Would appreciate any solutions.

Guest Guest Gene

I have the same problem with my 98 Corolla. The only way I can stop is to turn the headlights on. I even found out if you pull the e-brake just a little it goes away, I wouldn't try this when you driving but it does work for me. Wish I could fine a fix. 

Topic List