Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Corolla Wind Noise

Guest ajhamilt

We purchased a 05 Corolla new last year. Currently have about 10K on it. When traveling at speeds around 60-70 MPH we get a wind whistling noise coming from the front windshiled/dash area.

Have taken it to a dealer one time. They changed several parts but its stil not fixed.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so have you corrected it?

Be curious to know what parts the dealer actually changed? Was this in compliance with the TSB issued for fornt/rear windshield noises?

TSB NV006-05 APR 05 : Body-Wind Noise From Front/Rear Door Glass Areas

This also affected 2003 -2005 Corolla/Matrix models - some seem to be worse that others. Some have reported good results with an aftermarket bug deflector on the hood. Others have tried various windshield treatments (Rain-X) and/or different waxes for the car - some with noticeable results - some no change. Mine used to make noise - but has since subsided on its own. Not sure what the fix was - but the front air dam was plowed into a few curbs and steep parking lot extrances on accident.

Bikeman982

Don't they test cars in wind tunnels after a design change to check for things like wind noise? Why would they mass produce a car that has too much wind noise? At what speed does it become noticeable?

Varys from car to car - but usually highway speeds. Wasn't an issue with the original design of the car - more quality control and vendor choices for components. Some cars didn't have any wind noise at all - others have significant amounts of noise. All had to do with the trim pieces around the front/rear windshields. Mine went away when the airflow over the hood changed a bit due to a crack/scuffed front air dam.

I'm working with my delership on a problem like this. At 70 to 90 depending on headwind, you get a kazoo sound. You can press out on the front glass and it shifts pitch. I've had a manager in the car to document. Interesting to know there is already a TSB.

Bikeman982

Speaking of excessive wind noises - both my 1993 and 1994 get a lot of wind noise that seems to be coming from between the drivers door and the passenger rear door on the driver's side. I figure it is because there is a little too much gap between the two doors. Maybe it happens to both sides of the car but because I am sitting in the drivers seat that is the side I hear? I plan on trying to put a little rubber stripping on the body of the car that can take up some of the gap between the two doors to see if it makes any difference.

Second trip to the dealer. Attempted fix didn't work.

Bikeman982

What did they say they did??

They were going to work with the seal on the outside of the window. I have the all weather package, and the trim around the windows is a little different than other Corollas I've seen. Seems to be tacked down to the window every 10 inches or so. They say wind is getting under this trim and causing vibration.

Bikeman982

They were going to work with the seal on the outside of the window. I have the all weather package, and the trim around the windows is a little different than other Corollas I've seen. Seems to be tacked down to the window every 10 inches or so. They say wind is getting under this trim and causing vibration.

Seems like a good possibility that the windshield trim is not aerodynamic enough to provide proper air flow. It probably needs to be tacked down more frequently than every 10 inches. I don't know what it looks like, but I am sure it could be made to be more streamlined.

Happens on mine too.

My GF actually likes it; means I'm going "too fast".

Oddly it still happened after entire windshield was replaced (after accident).

Hasn't happened since it's been colder, though. We'll see as Spring approaches.

Bikeman982

Happens on mine too.

At what speed did you get the noise?

Happens on mine too.

It start around 75, then gets progessivly louder, topping out at 90mph or so. Stupid School Zones...

Bikeman982

Happens on mine too.

It start around 75, then gets progessivly louder, topping out at 90mph or so. Stupid School Zones...

So you get the noise all the time at 75 - 90 MPH?

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)