Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2001 Corolla 5 Speed Noise

Guest bpnm

Hi,

I have 2001 corolla CE, 5 speed, 67000 miles.

I hear rattling noise when I shift from 3rd to 4th gear (noise in both gears).

It's louder after an driving it for a while. I hear it only when I am pressing accelerator,

when I take the foot off of the gas pedal, no noise. I hear it in gear 3 or 4,

little bit in 5th gear. No noise on 1st or 2nd. gear.

This noise starts at bbout 1800 to around 2200 rpm, on 3rd and 4th gear, noisier when warmed up.

I took it to transmission shop, they could not make anything of it. They lifted the car, engaged gears,

the front wheels were spinning like on the road, but I could not hear the noise outside of the car.

The mechanic could hear it inside, but only slightly. The transmission oil was fine, the color of it was

as it should be; they "kind of" excluded transmission/differential problem. They told me that the clutch

may not be the problem either. They did not know what it is. 3 mechanics looked at it, 2 of them drove it.

If I hit gas pedal in neutral or while idling, I hear no such noise.

Could it be the engine valves or something loose in camshaft area, needing to be adjust?

Another shop (over the phone) told me that the valves don't need to be adjusted,

they have hydraulic system (I dont understand that). From what i told this shop guy over the phone,

he thinks it may be a throw bearing. But the tranny shop did not say it.

The CV joints look OK, no noise when I turn the wheel. Thanks ahead for advices or opinions.

I bought the car 1100 miles ago, started noticing this 500 miles ago.

I've read somewhere in the boards about timing belt tensioner, could that be doing this rattle?

I wander why I don't hear the rattle the moment I take my foot off the gas.

It seems to be louder when driving for a while - 40 minutes or so. I don't think gears would be louder

after driving for a while if it had something to do inside the gearbox.

Could be a bunch of things. Probably nothing wrong with the transmission itself - I would go ahead and get the tranny lube drained and replaced with some fresh stuff to start. Doubt it is the throwout bearing - since hte noise happens when you get on the accelerator and not when the clutch is pushed in. CV joint, wheel bearings, and suspension bits could cause some rattling - but they would have to be really in bad shape to do that (should be easily picked up by visual inspection). Belt tensioner is always a trouble point - noises from one going bad are rattling, chirping, grinding, knocking, etc.

Kind of weird the noise shows up in those particular gears - I would expect the noise to be worse in the first two gears. Engine under load would tend to move a bit on its mounts - of any are shot or worn, the engine/transaxle could shift enough to cause weird noises or bind up on you, also cause some weird behavior. May be syncros - but that is really out there. Change the oil first and see what does to the noise - cheaper , easier procedure and fresh fluid tends to eliminate 70% or 80% of these "noise" issues. Also gives you something to check - can run old oil through a magnet and filter screen to catch metal particles. Would tell you if anything is messed up.

Good Luck.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)