Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Engine Oil

Guest Kenta

Hi All,

Just joined as a member. Not sure if there is already a similar if not identical topic being discussed.

Which synthetic oil is best for Corolla 2004? Or rather which one is commonly used by most toyota owners?

From SAE/ACEA website, the quality and grade of synthetic oils can be obtained. However I think each engine oil is made differently (with different additives).

In this forum, some wrote about Mobil 1. How about the other oils?

Care to share your comments?

Thanks in advance.

default_wink

Mr. Ed

I'm using Amsoil 0w-30 (severe service) in the crankcase and Amsoil 75w-90 in the manual transmission.

If you search through the forum - you'll see that there is an even mix of people running either synthetics or conventional motor oils.

If you are planning to stick with the full synthetic route - people here and some others at different forums have indicated that they have used the following:

Mobil 1

Valvoline Synpower

Amsoil

Royal Purple

Red Line

Quaker State

All have reported good luck with these oils. I usually use the Mobil 1 / Valvoline (5w-30 winter / 10w-30 summer) for the motor oil and Red Line for the transmission.

Good Luck.

Guest polo708

Mobil1, and definately synthetic... its well worth it.

Guest Kenta

Thanks for sharing, Mr. Ed / fishexpo101 / polo708.

Happy Motoring !!

I know that it's human nature to want to put the "best" oil in your car, and I've been guilty of doing this on other cars as well. Mobil 1 is an excellent synthetic motor oil. The benefits of all of the other synthetics are pretty close to Mobil 1, so you can't go wrong with any of them.

But conventional oils have improved dramatically over the last few years. They're far better than the oil your parents used in their 2-ton rust buckets. I've been using cheap conventional oil in my '95 Corolla (primarily Super Tech - the cheap stuff) and I now have 211,000 miles on my car.

So you have to ask yourself how long you plan on keeping your car, and whether the added cost of synthetic is worth it. If you had a high performance car that saw some track time or if your engine was going to see sub-zero temps before the next oil change, then that's a different story. In my opinion, it's better for the engine to have frequent oil changes (3-4000 miles) and keep the oil level topped off than spending the extra on synthetic oil.

• 200 posts

Would it be bad to switch from Durablend to ST?

Maintaining your new vehicle on a regularly scheduled basis is the best insurance towards long vehicle life. Follow the factory recomendations carefully. I recommend using the sever schedule for oil & filter changes. I've only used regular oil on my 1987 Camry. It's a daily driver with over 253,000 original miles. It's never had an engine or transmission rebuild. I don't really think it matters if you use synthetics or dino oils as long as you make certain you change on at regular mileage distance and do not go over. You decide if that distance is 3,000, 5,000, or 7,500 but stick to it and your new car will last for a very long time.

I think the best advantage of synthetics is the longer change intervals. You can go as long at 15,000 miles on synthetic oil. I personally would go 10,000 for mostly highway driving and 6000 for mostly city driving. UI belive the Toyota manual recommends 7500 miles.

The old 3000 interval was for big pushrod enignes with poor tolerances, crappy rings, poor air filters, leaky gaskets, low quality gasoline, and teh oil broke down relatively quickly.

IT's not hte 1970's onymore, you donlt need to change eht oil so often. The oinly ones telling oyu you should shops and oil ocmpanies because they make mor emoney if you change it more often.

In my '03 Corolla LE automatic I am using Mobil 1 5W30, changing it and the genuine Toyota 90915-YZZA2 oil filter (Filtre a Huile) each time. My driving is almost totally short-trip city driving, and this "super severe" service requires more rigorous maintenance, IMO. I'd consider extending my oil change interval to 4,000 miles if I were on an extended trip and couldn't change right at 3K, but always try to change it as close to 3K as possible.

Dai_Shan

So Synth oils the same filters are used? (don't konw much about synth's you might have noticed ;-/)

You still change at 3K with Mobil 1?

Some people swear by synthetic media filter for use with sythetic motor oil - but I believe it is a personal preference. I couldn't tel the difference between the Purolator Pure ONE and the OEM stuff - neither could oil analysis. Same goes for extended drain intervals - I did run the Mobil 1 for a 10K to 15K drain interval on this car and my older Honda - no problems at all, oil analysis says it is good - but TBN was low. Run at 5K to 7K drain interval - same results but better TBN. Depends on the person - some people still like the 3K drain interval and still follow it, even with synthetic oils. Just as long as you change it and keep an eye on the oil level - pick a filter and interval that fits your schedule and budget.

I've used the K&N, Purolator, and OEM filters - depends on what is one sale - picked up a 6 pack of Toyota branded filters at $3.98 each with gaskets thrown in for free at the dealer (one of those coupon deals they run every once and a while).

Mobil 1 synthetic or Valvoline full synthetic motor oil are the ones I go with - I follow about 6K oil change schedule. That is mostly highway driving - about a 100 mile commute back and forth every day.

I'm using 10W-30 Valvoline with good result...however, I'm getting 1 to 1.5qt oil burn-off at every 3000-4000 miles.

I just purchased:

Castro 10W-30 High Mileage - 6 bottles

Castro 10W-30 Synthetic - 6 bottles

I will use my 10W-30 Synthetic first...then switch to 10W-30 High Mileage.

The Castro oil is on sale this week at Pep Boys (well, in Southern California locations, anyway). for $1.79 per qt....that's a STEAL!!!!!

- uchok00 default_ph34r

Topic List