Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 Corolla Spark Plugs

by listoff, January 11, 2006

Hi all,

I have a 2003 Corolla LE with lotsa miles. I want to check my spark plugs to see if they need replacing and to have the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing that I'm actively taking a part in the longevity of my car. :-)

Anyway, when I remove the engine cover and unbolt the coil pack, it won't come off. I didn't want to twist or force anything because I didn't want to break it. I downloaded the 2004 Service Manual someone graciously posted a while ago and I didn't see anything about how to actually remove the plugs.

Thank you in advance for any help that can be offered!

Mike

Make sure that the plastic wiring loom that hold the harnesses running to each coil pack is not in the way. Once you unblock the coil pack and there are no clearance issues (may have to unbolt the wiring loom, move the harness far enough way to not cause trouble) - just grab the top of the coil pack and wiggle it out. Might take some effort initially, since there are little grooves that grab the top of the plug, but it should pop free. Might want to blow some compressed air first around the coil packs to prevent debrisfom falling in and before you remove the plugs.

I wouldn't worry too much about them - the plugs are Iridium fine wire plugs as OEM - supposed to last 100K-120K miles before needing to be replaced. A good thing, expensive little suckers, dealer quoted me about $13 a piece. But you can get them as low as $6 each online.

Almost forget to mention - don't be tempted to clean the plugs of deposits with a wire brush. The wire brush will leave trace amounts of metal on the insulator as well as potentially breaking off and lodging inside the plug. Coil packs and high tension plug wires (1998-1999 Corollas) carry quite a bit of voltage and may sap current away from the plug as you just made the insulator slightly conductive with all the metal bits left on it.

friendly_jacek

Im temped to do the same and remove the plugs for inspection and to coat the threads with antisieze as they may be well galled at the 100,000 mark if you just leave them alone in the aluminium head.

I did just chage mine in my 01 corolla with 90k. They looked very very ugly -- not something I would expect for the first service interval for them to be 120k. I DID have to unbolt the wiring "loom" in order to remove the 2 right-most coils and plugs. And yes, the anti-seize is a good idea. I may take mine back apart to add some as the old plugs showed quiet a bit of rust (just on the surface) on the threads -- they came out ok, but wouldnt want them to get stuck in there. Mine were $3.99 each at Advanced Auto.

Mine were $3.99 each at Advanced Auto.
For Iridium fine wire plugs? - Wow, that's pretty damn cheap. I might stop by and see if they have any on hand.

Mine were $3.99 each at Advanced Auto.

For Iridium fine wire plugs? - Wow, that's pretty damn cheap. I might stop by and see if they have any on hand.

not sure exactly what brand/model ... but they work a heck of a lot better than what was in there default_biggrin

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)