Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Strut Replacement Corolla 1999

Guest wawan

I have toyota corolla 1999, and it was bought new. Dont have nay complain up until about 9 months ago. The car started vibrating and making sound around the wheel area. They were minor at that time, but about 3 weeks ago they started to be more iritating. I got my car checked and turns out that all the struts are worn out that they damaged 2 of the tires. So, I was just wondering what other strut replacement brand that you guys recomend. How much and where do you get them from? ebay? I was thinking about using KYB. Have any of you use KYB on your corolla? how do they feel? stiff? how long do they last? and should I use the mounting and the shoe?

Thank you guys

I pretty sure that KYB are OEM on the Corolla. Monroe also makes them for our cars, but some have had some ride height issues or fitment problems in some model years. I liked the KYBs better, since they are about the same price as Monroe struts and were the OEM brand choice. Koni and Bilstein are some others that are very good - but many have reported that they ride a bit harder than they expected. But if you want better damping control - those two would be some of the best choices in a replacement strut. You could also opt to replace the strut / spring combo with a coilover system. Will ride hard enough to rattle your teeth, but none can touch those for ultimate adjustability.

Lifespan will depend on driving conditions and how you drive the car. If you are running aftermarket performance springs - you must repalce the struts to match. Otherwise the struts will not last very long (sometimes as shorts as a few months). Lifespan can vary quite a bit - I've seen some go out at 30K miles some last as long as 250K miles. Most people will get something in between. If you got 100K out of them, you probably did pretty good.

Right now, I'm running KYB GR-2 struts that ride as smoothly as the OEM ones. I also replaced the pillow-ball mount (top strut mount) and the boot that protects the strut, you can reuse the old one - but for the price difference (especially labor), makes good sense to change them. They ran me about $80 each and about $35 for the upper mount and I did it myself in about 4 hours (Tirerack). Toyota dealer here quoted me $1400 for all four with new springs included out the door, without the springs $1100. They were quoting the struts at $150 each with the rest in shop materials and labor. Some independents ran the job as low as $800 for all four struts (no springs). So shop carefully.

Guest wawan

Right now, I'm running KYB GR-2 struts that ride as smoothly as the OEM ones. I also replaced the pillow-ball mount (top strut mount) and the boot that protects the strut, you can reuse the old one - but for the price difference (especially labor), makes good sense to change them. They ran me about $80 each and about $35 for the upper mount and I did it myself in about 4 hours (Tirerack).

Will installing the pillow-ball mount affects the lasting of the struts?

I am going to use my old stock spring, just because everyone who I have asked said "it is not necessary to replace the old spring". But I was thinking, if i do have enough money, i would buy a set of eibach spring, and use them on the corolla. What do you guys think?

Not really for the strut - more of a safety feature, steering control, and tire life. Since the front wheel turn though an axis defined by the lower control arm and upper strut mount. If that mount is worn, there will be excessive slop - affecting vehicle control and tire life. $70 total for those mounts is pretty cheap insurance.

If you decide to go with a new spring (example: Toyota TRD springs are made by Eibach) - you might be able to get a sprint/strut combination unit. No spring compressor is needed, since the spring is installed at the factory - almost as easy as plug and play.

Keep in mind that dependin on the type of spring - you may need to invest in a camber kit. Since our cars do not have an adjustable camber. Usually not a problem unless the ride height drops more than 2 inches. My current setup is KYB GR-2 struts and TRD springs - about a 1.5" drop all around after they settled. Didn't need any alignment or camber kit with them - drives as straight as an arrow. May not be the case for everyone - but if you are careful, you might be able to do the same.

Bikeman982

I just want to change out my strust because the ones I have on the car seem to be worn out. I think the springs are still fine, although I have not had any other to compare. My car drives straight, but is kind of noisy when it hits the bumps. I am actually starting to get used to it and may just end up keeping the struts on that are there now.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)