Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Sunburst, January 10, 2006

My 2005 Corolla CE has a high pitched whine when it downshifts to a low speed and also a "whistle-like" sound when I gently depress the accelerator. This doesn't occur until the car is warmed up -- generally after being driven for 10 miles or so. I usually happens in Drive (I have an automatic transmission). The vehicle functions fine, except for this noise that drives me crazy. I took it into the dealer, but they couldn't find it; the rep advised me he was "chasing a ghost"! According to the dealer, it is not the drive train. There is no noise at high speed, just in stop-start traffic, or when the transmission downshifts to a low gear. I hope someone out there has some suggestions. Thanks.

Is the sound coming from the front of the car, under the hood, inside the cabin, etc. - miles on car?

I get gear noises in both my cars - when slowing to a stop or driving around in a parking deck. Pretty normal noise - will get better once the miles start rolling on. The whistling noise is probably induction related (also a host of VSV valves that make a ton of noise under there - also normal). Blame tightening emission regs on that one.

Check the easy stuff - tire and tire pressure, you'd be amazed by how adjusting tire pressure can affect road noise transmitted into the cabin - even at very low speeds. Check transmission fluid levels and make sure thay are OK. I believe they are using Toyota Type WS ATF fluid (synthetic) generally not compatible with other fluids, so be careful.

Is the sound coming from the front of the car, under the hood, inside the cabin, etc. - miles on car?

I get gear noises in both my cars - when slowing to a stop or driving around in a parking deck. Pretty normal noise - will get better once the miles start rolling on. The whistling noise is probably induction related (also a host of VSV valves that make a ton of noise under there - also normal). Blame tightening emission regs on that one.

Check the easy stuff - tire and tire pressure, you'd be amazed by how adjusting tire pressure can affect road noise transmitted into the cabin - even at very low speeds. Check transmission fluid levels and make sure thay are OK. I believe they are using Toyota Type WS ATF fluid (synthetic) generally not compatible with other fluids, so be careful.

Thanks for the quick response, fishexpo101. I've got close to 24,000 miles on the vehicle. This definitely isn't road noise; it sounds like it's coming from the transmission area, although the dealer insists there is nothing wrong with the transmission! They were looking for a bushing and lubricated under the vehicle, but the noises persist. Fluids and tire pressure are OK (just checked!). This is vexing and annoying to say the least!

Weird. Have plenty of miles on the car is not too green. I doubt it is a bushing though. Could be the RH drive shaft assembly (this component is jointed in the middle - since it has to run from the transaxle all the way to the wheel hub. If that joint is sloppy or if the drive axle is not torqued down correctly - would make for some awful noise, though not neccessarily damaging to the car. Or could be a squealing serpentine belt tensioner or contaminanted belt of pulley. Those have been show to be intermittent noise makers - especially when the engine reaches operating temps and hard to reproduce in front of the tech.

next time you take it in RIDE WITH THE TECH! you wont beleive how many times a shop or tech will brush of a noise as "we didnt hear it" because they dont want to do warranty work.

now if its a very very quite slight wine, thats somewhat normal for an automatic transmission.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)