Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By ycr99, December 14, 2005

So, I was watching the news...and some poor fellah crashed his car into the river...

I know I got electric everything...I just wish to remember to keep a handy tool to help break the glass should this ever happen to me...(unlikely as it is, you never know)

I wonder if actually pressing against the windshield w/your legs is really capable of shattering it...

default_huh Or, since i have a moon roof, maybe I could escape from there...if I'm small enough...

Good point. The glass is more pliable and harder to break than you might think because it has plastic layers in it to prevent shattering. The tip of you key could probably start a crack enough to weaken it.

Ultimately, if the water is less than 20 feet deep, and your a good swimmer, you can wait for the front of the car to fill most of the way up with water and open the door. Just remember not to get vertigo... the nose of the car will be pointing downward.

In most situations... people panic and forget to remove their seatbelts, or instictively just start clawing at the glass and elbowing the door. It's always hard ot say how you'll react in that situation.

A show called Top Gear did a controlled test in a swimming pool and a car dropped in a pool with someone in it. The first time, the tester waited till the car hit the bottom of the pool for the water pressure to equlize so he could open the door and get out. He had someone with a air tank in the car with him and he needed air before he could get out of the water. The pool wasn't even that deep. 12' at most.

On the 2nd test he tried to get out of the car as soon as the car hit the water. He was able to open the door and get out.

So, if it were me, I would try to get out as soon as possible. You won't be able to break the glass once the water goes over the top of the car. You should be able to work the electric windows untill the water gets to the battery and the wires going to the window switch, fuse box, ect. If you are awake if your car ever hits the water, get out ASAP!!!!

I'm with gvr4ever on this. Luckily, I participated in a water safety training course for open/deep water survival (don't ask). The course also include training in egression techniques from different vehicles (auto, boat, airplane). They actually have this huge tank that is used to simulate the exercise. They strap you in - you got for a ride down a slide into the water in complete darkness to disorient you (they flip the vehcile body over a couple of times to make sure). Then you have to find your way out safely (safety divers on hand to make sure you do make it back safe).

An emergency tool might be a good investment - if you can find it and use it during such an accident. No amount of safety tools or devices can save you if you start to freak out or are badly injured in a car accident. That being the case - there are many tools out there that clip onto your belt or get affixed to the dash, that can cut through seltbelt webbing and break glass. A spring loaded center punch is also perfect for shattering side glass on cars.

First thing - stay calm.

Second - undo your seltbelt (actually the number one killer here). Documented cases have seen people with the window down or the door open, but the person still drown becuase they could not undo the seltbelt.

Third - help others in the car if you can.

Fourth - get out ASAP.

Military likes acronyms - they call this P.O.G.O. (PUSH the seatbelt button, OPEN the window or door, GET OUT of the car).

If the water is 15-20 feet - there is a good chance that the car will flip onto its roof. Not a good thing, as underwater - it is very difficult to orient ones self - throw in injuries, darkness, etc. - a bad proposition for anyone.

The best method is to get out ASAP - the car will float for a little while before it sinks, some cars can float for as long as two minutes before they take on enough to start sinking. You can power down the windows and escape from the window - do not open the doors as it will be either difficult for most people to do or cause the car to rotate in that direction into the water.

Once the car takes on water - it will sink VERY quickly. You will not get an air pocket like they show on TV all the time. If you could not get out before the car sinks - wait until the water gets to neck level (happens really quickly), take a final breath (seatbelt should already have been undone as soon as the car hit the water), open the door (if damage in the accident) break open the window, then escape in the direction of air bubbles (you should be exhaling air as you ascend to protect your lungs and to give you a direction to swim - bubbles traveling upwards).

If there is a strong current, if the water temperature is very cold, or if the body of water is iced over - it is imperative to get out before the car sinks.

Bikeman982

What about opening the tire valves and getting air from them?? It happens all the time on TV !!

I have a theory on who Fish is... he knows just about everything about Corollas... and now has open/deep water survival training?

He's MacGuyver... default_laugh

What about opening the tire valves and getting air from them?? It happens all the time on TV !!

You would probably need the metal valve caps that have the slotted end in them to tighten or untighten the valve stems. I finally found some for my bicycle this past summer after trying several stores.

Another reason beside repair issues why I have manual windows on my 2003 CE.

Counterpoint - The media loves these kinds of stories because they play on everone's worst fears. Does anyone actually know the statistic for crashing into a lake?

I lived in Michigan for 22 years (which is probably number 2 or 3 in the US for total coastline) and I never met anyone that crashed into a lake. You would hear a story maybe once or twice a year. Most times it was a suicide or otherwise intentional. I think the odds are so low, it's not even worth being concerned about.

It's kind of like worring about surviving a water landing on a commercial jetliner. Even if you flew on a international over water flight every day of you life, you'd still have a less than 1 in a 1 million or greater chance of it crashing in the water within your lifetime.

Best advice, drive more cautiously when your near water.

Topic List