Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1993 - 1997 Radio Antenna Replacement

By Bikeman982, December 2, 2005 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

Bikeman982

Does anyone have any idea how to change the radio antenna for the 1993 - 1997 Toyota Corollas?? I have a 1994 and my daughter has a 1995 that have the antenna snapped off right where it comes out of the mount on the outside of the car. I have been to the junkyard and tried to remove one there but could not get the wire out of the post. Is there something I can use (besides a large can opener) that gets the tight fitting wires out of the car? I have disconnected it from the radio and pushed it as far as it will go from there but it is still stuck within the upright post. I could put an aftermarket antenna on the fender or someplace, but I prefer to use the location originally intended for use as the spot for an antenna. The second problem might be "How do I get a new one back thru the post??". I bet someone would say to tie a string to the old one and just yank on it until it comes out, then tie the new one to the string and pull it back thru. Seems simple, but ever try it??

Bikeman982

I found an antenna replacement at the junkyard Monday and purchased it. It was already removed from a car and I did not have to take it out. Does anyone have any answers to the questions first posed in this thread? How do I get the old one out and the new one in??

i'd like to know as well since i have a little rust around mine that i need to adress. i'd like to take it off and then sand/fill the area with it off so i can get it nice and flat.

Bikeman982

Here's a link to a previous discussion on the subject. Might be helpful.

https://www.corolland.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=106170

Thanks, that thread explained a little. I imagine there is quite a bit of force required to pull the old antenna out. I don't think it would be a problem to tie or tape something on to the end of the coaxial cable and hope that it stays on while the old antenna is removed. Then the trick would be to fasten it to the cable of the new antenna and get it to go thru the body vertical column into the car behind the dash and to the radio. I know the antenna I found at the junkyard had tape stuck to it that must have been used when it was in operation in the car. Also the other thread indicated there were wire ties holding it inside and I will try to locate and cut them prior to yanking on it during removal. Since the end of my current antenna is broken off, I can't really hurt it much more than it already is. The worst that could happen (I suppose) is that I end up pulling the old antenna out and not being able to install the new one. If that happens I will have to improvise and come out with a modified installation method. Does anyone else have the broken antenna problem similar to mine??

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm