Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By BobLevine, November 27, 2005

My 2003 CE clock sometimes works correctly, sometimes glows at low brightness with the right digit almost dark.

Restarting cures it.

Anyone else had a clock fail?

I have $0 deductible extended warranty so can bring it in when it fails all the time.

Thanks,

Bob

Max

Bob, are you sure it's the clock and not the battery or (heaven forbid, your car is too "new") the alternator? I've found that sometimes dimming like that is the first sign of one of those items giving up the ghost..

No, had battery checked at my mechanic to be sure it wasn't time to change as a preventive maintenance item.

Everything else works great. Looks like clock is just starting to die. Keeps correct time, though.

Max

That's good. Maybe it's just a bad LED in the clock.

That's what I'm thinking, Max.

At least LED's are covered by extended wty. Light bulbs aren't.

It worked fine this morning. Have to wait for it to glitch up again during dealer hours so I can drive in and show it in failure mode.

Thanks and happy holidays.

Would you believe the clock lists at $205? The discount dealer 1stoyotaparts.com wants $169.

Glad I got extended wty. They said it's covered once dealer can see it glitched up.

Is the clock made of gold?

Max

$205?! Yeah, either it's gold, or the federal government built and priced it!

$200 for a clock doesn't surprise me...

Thank god you never owned one of the GM space cars from the 80s with the digital dashboards, those would easily set you back over $1000 when they died.

Bikeman982

I have not seen the clock on the 2003 - is it the same as the earlier years 1993-1997?? I would suspect the clock as being bad, since it is electronic and you have said that is the only thing you notice not working correctly. I bought a couple for my cars off e-Bay and of course they were used, but they were only $20 or so. Parts for the newer cars are harder to find at the junkyard and also on e-Bay or other internet sites.

It's a standalone unit at the top of the HVAC switch panel.

Took it to dealer today and they saw it when it was screwy.

Dealer said they still need to open things up to check voltages before ordering clock, so it means two service visits. Clock certainly doesn't seem to be a part any dealer would want to stock.

Since it's still intermittent, I guess I better wait for it to completely fail. Why pay an hour's labor to get a service order marked "unable to reproduce problem".

Well, I opened the shift lever cover and tightened a white electrical connector to be sure it was firmly seated.

So, for the last week or so, the clock's been working fine. Don't know if it was the connector or just quirky electronic gadget.

The clock works with the headlight sensor and dims when the sensor feels it's time for lights. Maybe that was the cause.

Still got 3 more years on warranty, so will see.

Max

Glad to hear it's (probably) resolved, Bob.

Thanks, Max.

Too good to be true.

Clock really went out today. Would work a few minutes then die.

Took to Leith Toyota. They wrote up service order documenting clock failure and made an appointment for Friday to test electricals. This makes it sure I won't be charged diagnosis if the gremlin decides to let the clock work Friday.

Once the tech confirms power to clock is good, they will order a new one and put it in when it arrives.

Dealer checked clock - bad - new part ordered.

Toyota Financial Services extended warranty covers with $0 deductible.

Dealer shuttle took me to work and brought me back to collect Corolla.

New part will take a week because of holiday.

Max

Bob, do they have any idea why your clock failed?

Nope. Bad circuit board they think.

When my ship comes in, I'll be waiting at the airport.

Will let you know when it's fixed.

Happy new year, Max.

Leith Toyota changed the clock today on extended warranty, and Toyota paid the $274 charge (for a darn clock LOL).

The job was done promptly and cleanly.

I also showed my service advisor my two front seatbelts with weak retractors. Krystal agreed they were bad and ordered two belts to be done on warranty when they come in.

I've been using this dealer for service recently and am beginning to like them more each time.

Max

Bob- glad they are treating you right. I'm blessed with a great dealer, here, too.

For that much money I think I'd glue a gold watch to my dashboard or something default_tongue

Would you believe the clock lists at $205? The discount dealer 1stoyotaparts.com wants $169.

Glad I got extended wty. They said it's covered once dealer can see it glitched up.

Is the clock made of gold?

I am not seeing a 1stoyotaparts.com. Is the URL correct? Thanks.

Bikeman982

Just as suspected - your clock was bad. Even new cars can have defective parts. Good thing for warranties!

Thanks for correcting the url, Fish. Have had good luck with these parts people for filters.

I'm really happy I got the deal on the official TFS warranty from a dealer in MA. I live in NC and Southeast Toyota Distributor won't let their dealers sell the official Toyota extended warranty. All that they can sell is the Southeast Toyota Fidelity extended warranty.

With the good price I paid and the clock & belts, I'll be way ahead. The belts are expensive because of the pretensioners included in the assembly.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)