Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1999 Toyota Corolla Coolant Leaking

Guest Bill

Hi,Dear Sirs:

I need help and suggestions from you guys,today I drove my car to local repair shop.My problem is

yesterday I saw temperature rise up after traffic jam and from JFK to City.And the repair guy told me he

ran a coolant compression test and said my engine is leaking coolant. I really don't know what he

meant,but he said he can only have special engine shop to take it to special welding,or buy another used

engine to totally replace it,or trade-in to the dealer let them worry about that)He said to take out and

welting it will cost more than $1000 and can only guarantee 99% is fine.He said if I keep driving,when the

temperature will go up after 25 mins after I start and then I should pull over,wait until the engine is coool

and add coolant.What should I do?I checked the new car price this afternoon and not sure I have that buget

to do that.So I am very upset now and need you guys opinions. I am not good in descriping the situation.Or

should I take to the toyota dealer?Thank you very much

Bill

Bikeman982

If your engine is leaking coolant and the repair shop says to weld your engine, it probably means you have a cracked block. That is a serious problem - or the shop may be just saying that to get some work. You can check it by parking it on a flat area and placing some cardboard under it to see if it leaks overnight, or you can check your fluid level (anti-freeze in the radiator) very frequently. If it constantly needs to be topped off, it means it is leaking it. I would recommend you get an engine change (if it is really required) rather than a new car if it is too much for your budget. You could also sell it and purchase another used car. Hope this helps.

Guest Bill

If your engine is leaking coolant and the repair shop says to weld your engine, it probably means you have a cracked block. That is a serious problem - or the shop may be just saying that to get some work. You can check it by parking it on a flat area and placing some cardboard under it to see if it leaks overnight, or you can check your fluid level (anti-freeze in the radiator) very frequently. If it constantly needs to be topped off, it means it is leaking it. I would recommend you get an engine change (if it is really required) rather than a new car if it is too much for your budget. You could also sell it and purchase another used car. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much,this is exactly what he said.it's cracked block!Yes,and it is leaking,he pointed out that

for me.I think I really need to change the engine now or get a new car,I intended not to sell it to another

one unless it's fixed.I also have no idea of what is trade-in value,and how much will a toyota le 1999 80000

miles be?Thanks again for your reply!!really appreciated!!

Regards,

Bill

Could it possibly be a cracked head? or a bad head gasket? You might want to get a second opinion.

I hope the same thing doesn't happen to my car... default_sad I have only put 19100 mi on my car. It has 57000 mi on it. I want it to last until I've put 120,000 mi on it...or for another 8 years which ever comes first. But after reading these forums I wonder if it'll be possible. It's interesting since the outside of the car looks just fine, no rust or anything. From behind you'd think it's a new car. It is a nice car I'll admit. I just hope the insides last as long...

Sounds like the '99s are having a bit of trouble...

I hope you get your problem resolved...

Guest Bill

I hope the same thing doesn't happen to my car... default_sad I have only put 19100 mi on my car. It has 57000 mi on it. I want it to last until I've put 120,000 mi on it...or for another 8 years which ever comes first. But after reading these forums I wonder if it'll be possible. It's interesting since the outside of the car looks just fine, no rust or anything. From behind you'd think it's a new car. It is a nice car I'll admit. I just hope the insides last as long...

Sounds like the '99s are having a bit of trouble...

I hope you get your problem resolved...

Thank you all for all the replies,everytime I feel I was waiting for judgement when my car sent to repair shop.My car looks clean and new,but most of the problems happened after 75000 mil,before that everything is fine.Today I visit a toyota dealer to find some car price.Now I have several options to choose and I can list that for you guys some reference and also need your opinions,

1.I might be relocate within 1 yr,should I buy a new one or used or leased?(sales told me there is no much price difference if I put some miles like 5000-10000 miles on new toyota within a year,is that okay?)

2.Here are some price I saw for your reference,

a.new SCion for about $14000

b.used 2000 toyota echo 52000 mile for about $5000

c.used toyota 2002 matrix 42000 mile for about $10000

trade-in value would be about $1000-2500 but I need to bring the car,it depends.

It looks like echo is not bad deal but I don't know how to check its condition.What should I do to check a used car? The sales said the used car from toyota 02 is better than 00 car since it is certified and under warranty,I really have no idea of this kind of car things,so I need your opinions on this.

I will also check the repair shop about the used engine price tomorrow and post it for your reference.Hope this problem won't happend to other toyota owers.

Thanks again for your guys suggestion.

Regards,

Bill

Before you go to find your checkbook, check the oil for coolant contamination if the guy thinks that there is a blown gasket. check around the engine for visible leaks. Check the thermostat, etc.

There are a few things that will cause the engine to overheat. Get a second opinion.

Thank you all for all the replies,everytime I feel I was waiting for judgement when my car sent to repair shop.My car looks clean and new,but most of the problems happened after 75000 mil,before that everything is fine.Today I visit a toyota dealer to find some car price.Now I have several options to choose and I can list that for you guys some reference and also need your opinions,

1.I might be relocate within 1 yr,should I buy a new one or used or leased?(sales told me there is no much price difference if I put some miles like 5000-10000 miles on new toyota within a year,is that okay?)

trade-in value would be about $1000-2500 but I need to bring the car,it depends.

It looks like echo is not bad deal but I don't know how to check its condition.What should I do to check a used car? The sales said the used car from toyota 02 is better than 00 car since it is certified and under warranty,I really have no idea of this kind of car things,so I need your opinions on this.

I will also check the repair shop about the used engine price tomorrow and post it for your reference.Hope this problem won't happend to other toyota owers.

Regards,

Bill

Didn't know there was a 2002 Matrix - all the USDM ones were introduced in 2003. Still $10K is a good deal for the Matrix with 42K miles. "Certified" really doesn't mean much - just that the dealer looked over a couple year old car, gave it a good wash, and has the remainder of the factory warranty + the extra "certified warranty" tacked on. Just make sure that you read the fine print.

I agree with CoaDriver and OUKB - good to get a second opinion on the car before you commit it to the junkheap. Might be a bad thermostat or bad head / head gasket. Very unusal to get a cracked block unless the coolant froze in it (not enough antifreeze or wrong mix) or car was driven into deep water. A cracked block will leak coolant like crazy (big puddles everywhere). A coolant compression test will only test leaks the cooling system (radiator, hoses, radiator cap, etc.) - wasn't really designed to test for leaks into the engine (not enough pressure and can't run it for enough time).

The repair tech should have gotten the engine up to operating temp and the radiator filled to top, pulled the plugs, and perform an engine compression test to test for petential leaks in the head/engine. If it pumps water out or expels air bubbles from the radiator - there could be a protential for a blown head gasket. Should have sent a sample of coolant out to be tested for exhaust gases, and tested the oil for coolant contamination. You can do a simple test yourself - pull the dipstick out - if the oil on it looks like it was mixed with mayonnaise - then you could have a blown head gasket.

But it is entirely up to you - seems that you have your mind already set on getting a new car anyway. But before you sink more money into a new car - make sure that your existing car actually has a serious a problem as the shop guys make it out to be.

Good Luck.

Guest Bill

Regards,

Bill

Didn't know there was a 2002 Matrix - all the USDM ones were introduced in 2003. Still $10K is a good deal for the Matrix with 42K miles. "Certified" really doesn't mean much - just that the dealer looked over a couple year old car, gave it a good wash, and has the remainder of the factory warranty + the extra "certified warranty" tacked on. Just make sure that you read the fine print.

I agree with CoaDriver and OUKB - good to get a second opinion on the car before you commit it to the junkheap. Might be a bad thermostat or bad head / head gasket. Very unusal to get a cracked block unless the coolant froze in it (not enough antifreeze or wrong mix) or car was driven into deep water. A cracked block will leak coolant like crazy (big puddles everywhere). A coolant compression test will only test leaks the cooling system (radiator, hoses, radiator cap, etc.) - wasn't really designed to test for leaks into the engine (not enough pressure and can't run it for enough time).

The repair tech should have gotten the engine up to operating temp and the radiator filled to top, pulled the plugs, and perform an engine compression test to test for petential leaks in the head/engine. If it pumps water out or expels air bubbles from the radiator - there could be a protential for a blown head gasket. Should have sent a sample of coolant out to be tested for exhaust gases, and tested the oil for coolant contamination. You can do a simple test yourself - pull the dipstick out - if the oil on it looks like it was mixed with mayonnaise - then you could have a blown head gasket.

But it is entirely up to you - seems that you have your mind already set on getting a new car anyway. But before you sink more money into a new car - make sure that your existing car actually has a serious a problem as the shop guys make it out to be.

Good Luck.

Thank you for all very useful suggestions,I am really appreciated.

Now I have updated information.

1.Should I go for $1750 for a used corolla engine with 48k on that?they offer 3 month warranty,and labor included.

2.Welting and labor chage is $950. Is that okay if I would like to keep it for another year or 1.2k more miles on that?

I try my best not to get a new car,so I guess I would just do from the above selection.Thank you very much again for the detail reply,I checked what you guys said and I think it is all due to my careless mantainence.(I seldom change oil or check coolant only once a yr at the time of inspection.)And I think I did learn a lesson now.Please let me know if I should just go ahead and change a engine or welting it for a short term?

Regards,

Bill

I'm pretty sure you can get the 1ZZ-FE engine much cheaper than that will some type of warranty. Even brand new long blocks (block, cylinder heads, timing chain, etc.) run around the $1800 price range. A good used engine can be around half that. Really depends on where the motor was sourced from. Not sure how the engine shop is going to weld the block - aluminum is tough to work with and can shrink or crack unexpectedly. Most places will repalce it with a new short block and avoid many potential problems. I'd check with another place before I sink that kind of cash into any work. Let us know how it works out.

Go to your local auto parts store and look for coolant leak repair fluids that can be added to the coolant. If the leak is small, sometimes it can be "repaired" with such chemical treatments.

I have successfully used Bars Leak for radiator leaks ... I know there are a lot more options now.

Dont count on this as a permenant fix, and if it does fix, expect that it could start leaking again at any time ... but it could buy you a bit more than short 25min trips.

-IJF

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)