Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

4a Ge

by smashinghead, October 16, 2005

I have a 1994 toyota corolla 4afe and i saw where to get a 4age for about $750. I htink they called it a silver top. It comes with a wiring harness and an ecu. I work on cars as far as fixing them and some minor performance stuff, but i have never swaped an engine before. I have a friend who has a shop we could use, i just want to know if it a very difficult process. And is it worth the time and money. I also don't know how much faster is this engine.

Silver top is an earlier 20 valve variant of the 4AGE - available overseas only (non US model).

It is also one of the most sought after motors as well. Swap in not really bad - as the engines are placed in the same basic platforms in their respective markets. But does not mean that hte seap is non-trivial. Having only the ECU, wiring harness, and engine alones - makes it that much more difficult for a first time swapper. Accessories like A/C and P/S probably will have to be pulled off as well - might rin into clearance issues.

The engine is very stout - makes about 160HP at the flywheel and responds to modifications very well. Doesn't meet any US emissions though - so it will fail smog testing in most states. Weak part would be your existing transmission and axles - doesn't really matter how strong the engine is, tranny is most FWD platforms is the weakest link.

Overall cost of doing the swap would likely be more than what your AE101 is worth. But if you want somethign a little different and experience - that price for the engine is actually pretty decent. A real factory manual (from Toyota) would be invaluable in a swap like this.

How much does my car weigh and what is ae101 or ae86? This confuses me. Which is mine?

Your car probablys weights about 2400-2500lbs.

The alphanumeric labels you may seen through around the web (AE86, AE101, AE102, ZZ130, etc.) refer to chassis designations for productions runs of a particular engine/chassis combination.

ex.

AE86 chassis - refers to a RWD (Rear wheel drive) Toyota that was part of the 5th generation Corollas (1984-1987)

AE101 chassis - refers to a FWD Toyota Corolla, part of the 7th generation (1993-1997) with a 1.6L engine. If optioned with the 1.8L engine - designation becomes AE102.

Your 1994 Corolla with the 4AFE engine is an AE101 - a 4AFE is a 1.6L engine, if equipped with a 7AFE (1.8L) if would be an AE102.

Topic List