Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

magnetic fuel savers

by induction1, April 26, 2004

most people say that products like the tornado are mostly worthless, but what about magnetic devices which claim to "decluster" fuel molecules, reduce buildup, and improve mileage, etc? has anyone tried them (brands?) and even if they do work is the increase in power and mpg significant ? any downsides or further thoughts? thanks

This product was discussed on numerous websites, and on each one I've read, the consensus is that the magnets do absolutely nothing. And it doesn't even make sense.

Magnets are considered magical elixirs for countless things, and it is likely that somebody's trying to make a buck on people that look for a quick, inexpensive performance booster. I've done some searching on the internet, and I have found nobody referencing any technical literature that proves this concept works.

On some Magnet websites, there is info on how a similar product will help soften water by polarizing calcium crystals, preventing them from adhering to surfaces. These sites show proof that it does work for this purpose in recirculating systems such as swimming pool heaters. These sites mention magnet use in auto fuel systems, but don't make the same claims.

Gasoline wouldn't be affected by magnetic fields. Only ferrous metal particles floating within it could be extracted by the magnet. I call B.S. on this Assertion.

I have not tried magnet therapy for my fuel line, nor have I heard from anyone who has.

I agree with the above posters - most of the magnetic fuel savers on the market boost incredible claims - but do not point or show real scientific / technical documents to back them up. Most companies use industry buzzwords and "technobabble" to drum up the hype on these. While in theory it could work in very specific situations and for certain specific situations - no gains in practical uses have been vigorously proven.

When they also throw in claims that you have to drive at least 1500 miles before any gains can be made to "clean" the carbon buildup in your engine and itwill pay for itself in no time - that should raise the BS FLAG for anyone. Claims of 1000 - 3000 gauss strength magnets sound impressive - but realize that the magnets that you stick on your refrigerator are also around that range.

Be easier to change driving habits to increase fuel economy than spend two or three tanks of gas on these devices. If it sounds too good to be true - it probably is.

Good Luck.

Topic List