Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Corolla S, Clutch Very Tight

by skyler, September 29, 2005

2005 Corolla S, Manual Transmission.

I am finding the clutch to be very tight. Its getting to a point where I am seeing health issues with my left leg.

I can't find another 2005 S manual around where I live ( Boston,MA )

Test drove several other manual transmission cars, and the clutch were much more comfortable than my car.

Has anyone else seen this problem? or is it something specific to my car.

Any ways to measure the tighness of clucth or something ? ( may be how much pressure needs to be applied to disengage clutch or something like that ). Is there any standard set for max tightness before it gets health hazard?

Dealer says its normal, but I never had problem before with my other manual transmission cars.

Mr. Ed

I can't say about the '05, but my '04 seems easy enough...

Guest torolla

I also feel my 03 clutch heavy. Dealer was useless. They said this is normal.

You may use spring scales or weight scales to measuse the pressure to disengage clutch. Just pull or push it against the clutch pedal.

I guess they use strong pressure plate springs. So, it is hard to push the clutch.

I had the same problem with my '01 Corolla LE with the 5-speed manual gearbox. The clutch was inordinately heavy and uncomfortable, making the stop-and-go city driving I do 95% of the time quite a chore. For that reason alone, I traded the '01 for an '03 LE automatic.

My 03 works like a hot knife in butter.

'99 LE - clutch is great - I would not call it tight or stiff.

why don't you get a second opinion from a different dealer or another mechanic - someone who has dealt with another 2005 corolla s

I have a 05 Corolla S with a 5 speed and the clutch is very smooth and the pedal is soft and precise, very happy with it! default_biggrin Later Jim

The clutch on my '05 Corolla S seems normal. Compared to when it was new, it did seem to loosen up the slightest bit after some use.

I tried a Mazda 3 over the weekend, and wowsers what a different feel it has! The clutch was loose as a goose - believe it or not the gas pedal was harder to depress than the clutch! The shifter knob was also harder to move around than the Corolla's.

After the experience I had with my '01 Corolla 5-speed, I can't understand why everyone else seems to think Corolla clutches are light and easy. I was truly concerned about how long it would be before I started having problems with my left leg/knee due to the monstrously heavy clutch on the '01! When I first got that car, I thought it was simply a matter of it getting broken in, but that never happened. Every time I drove that car, I dreamt of ways of vacuum-boosting that hydraulic clutch linkage, like power brakes.

I am totally at a loss to explain why everyone seems so pleased with their Corolla clutches. The one in my '01 reminded me of a Universal weight-training machine at Gold's gym!

Mr. Ed

Larry,

See - your comment causes me to wonder if there "might" be a wide variation in the pressure required to push the clutch pedal. As I mentioned previously, I have no problem with it, and I'm just a little guy - 5'9", 140lbs. Perhaps everyone is correct. What do you think? Is that a possibility?

Hi Larry, my 05 is the first Toyota Ive owned and it has a hyd. slave cylinder to work the clutch. Did the 01s have a cable operated one and maybe that is the difference??? Later Jim

Jim:

My '01 had the same hydraulic system used in the '05's. I believe a direct cable linkage might have been more appropriate.

Probably depends on what you drove previously. Compared to the Honda I had before - the Toyota clutch feels like a leg press. You will get used to it eventually - but the differences between pedal height, friction point, etc. can be a killer on your leg until you "retrain" it. But I have been in some cars that are seemingly undrivable to me because of differences being too great.

Might also try teaching someone who has not driven a standard transmission on that car - will loosen stuff up really quick.

Larry, You explained it best.

My 2005 S, clutch is so heavy that it has already caused problem with my left lower adbomen.

Initially doctors thought it was hernia and later they found out it was muscle inflamation at lower left abdomen.

Then I stopped driving my car for about 2 weeks and the entier swelling was gone. The moment I start driving, within 2 - 3 days, the pain would again start.

My doctor said, if I wasn't this light weight ( or had I had big belley ), doctors would never have been able to feel the lump and it would have been much worse before the problem was noticed.

I do drive in city, which requires me to step on clutch more often than the folks in suburbs.

But I have driven so many manual transmission cars, and never ver had this much trouble.

I did not know this was a problem that at least some of you had noticed.

I am , as "foobar" suggested, going to get second opinion. And also write to Toyota folks to see what they have to say.

If nothing happens, I guess I'd just have to trade this and get some other car.

If there is this much variability, you would think that something is being adjusted wrong??

My 05 is so soft I can press it down with my pinky, feels pretty nice driving.

Thats why I was hoping the service folks at toyota dealer would catch it.

But these guys want to avoid any work outside routine stuff.. They are happy to do all toyota suggested maintenance and if something is broke . But when it comes to something like this, they just say this is how its supposed to be..

Thats why I was wondering, if there is a way to measure the tightness and if there is a government set limit for this.

I've been going to Toyota at Acton,MA. Any suggestions for other toyota dealers around MA.

There are toyota dealers in Watertown, Wellesley, etc. also. Maybe you can test drive another 2005 Corolla S and feel the clutch.

My clutch is fine, not hard to depress at all, and I'm no muscleman (musclewoman?) Mine's an 05 CE,

I'm still working on finding the friction point , still after 5500 miles! LOL One out of five times, I get the Goodyear Integrities to squeak and practically always over-rev.

Skyler,

Definitely bring it to another dealer, and if that doesn't work out send your doctor's bill to Toyota corporate!

you know happymom, I have the same problem with finding the friction point reliably...I'm around 15,000 miles and I've driven tens of thousands of miles on my previous two truck transmissions. maybe I'm missing some feedback I don't even realize I'm missing cause its too light?

I'm 5'6" and no Jack LaLanne but find my 03 CE clutch much better than my previous Saturn SL's, Mazda Protege, and Nissan Sentra.

Get a second opinion.

Idea - could you possibly move the driver's seat a bit forward to reduce the clutch stroke?

I will be gone out of town for a few days, but when I get back, I will take a bathroom scale and a peice of wooden dowl and use the scale to push the clutch pedal down and maybe we can all compare them to see what one person thinks is soft to another that thinks it is hard ???? Later Jim

I figured I would do it before I left and I have 14lbs to push the pedal down. Now if anybody else wants to try it and get a pound # we will all be able to accurattly be able to compare numbers over the Net ?? Later Jim

• 1,424 posts
The clutch on my '05 Corolla S seems normal. Compared to when it was new, it did seem to loosen up the slightest bit after some use.

I tried a Mazda 3 over the weekend, and wowsers what a different feel it has! The clutch was loose as a goose - believe it or not the gas pedal was harder to depress than the clutch! The shifter knob was also harder to move around than the Corolla's.

Than that Mazda3 was broken because I've driven several and the clutch isn't that easy. As for your stiff clutch on a '05, well it is normal for the clutch to be a bit stiffer when the car is new. however, if you are having problems pushing it in (assuming you have average strength), it is too tight and it needs to be adjusted.

Guest Amit

Hi Everybody,

My corolla had the same problem.Clutch was very hard. I had been to my dealer complaining about the clutch. They have ignored it three times. When I insisted they opened up to see the clutch plates are gone. Its not even two years old car with 12,000 miles on it.

I drove the car for five months or more after the first complain. I am in such a horrible situation, where doctors have suggested to get a orthoscopic and a surgery if needed. I am unable to perform my regular activities like sitting on low seating and getting down and up the stairs.

Toyota has to take the responsibility . Please let me know if you guys got any help from anywhere.

Thank you

Larry, You explained it best.

My 2005 S, clutch is so heavy that it has already caused problem with my left lower adbomen.

Initially doctors thought it was hernia and later they found out it was muscle inflamation at lower left abdomen.

Then I stopped driving my car for about 2 weeks and the entier swelling was gone. The moment I start driving, within 2 - 3 days, the pain would again start.

My doctor said, if I wasn't this light weight ( or had I had big belley ), doctors would never have been able to feel the lump and it would have been much worse before the problem was noticed.

I do drive in city, which requires me to step on clutch more often than the folks in suburbs.

But I have driven so many manual transmission cars, and never ver had this much trouble.

I did not know this was a problem that at least some of you had noticed.

I am , as "foobar" suggested, going to get second opinion. And also write to Toyota folks to see what they have to say.

If nothing happens, I guess I'd just have to trade this and get some other car.

Hi Everybody,

My corolla had the same problem.Clutch was very hard. I had been to my dealer complaining about the clutch. They have ignored it three times. When I insisted they opened up to see the clutch plates are gone. Its not even two years old car with 12,000 miles on it.

I drove the car for five months or more after the first complain. I am in such a horrible situation, where doctors have suggested to get a orthoscopic and a surgery if needed. I am unable to perform my regular activities like sitting on low seating and getting down and up the stairs.

Toyota has to take the responsibility . Please let me know if you guys got any help from anywhere.

Thank you

Realize that you are posting in a section that is almost 5 years old! Anyway, there is a lot of variability with clutch "feel". If the dealership has ignored you, that that is a sign of moving onto ano ther dealership or Toyota specific garage. To burn the clutch up in 12K miles / less than 2 years is solely dependant on how the car was driven. You haven't mentioned the model year of the car - if still under warranty - take it to another dealership. If you cannot find a good solution to this issue - I'd suggest trading the car in for an automatic. To continue driving the car that is putting yourself at that risk/issue is not Toyota's fault, it is your responsibility to take care of yourself. This applies to any make or model out there, regardless of the manufacturer. I understand there might be certain situations where there are no other options and you are stuck with the vehicle - but if operating the car "hurts", then don't drive that car.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)