Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Check Engine Light - 2001 Corolla

Guest EricC

I have a 2001 Corolla with less than 50,000 miles with a CEL.

The code displayed is P0420, or "Catalyst system fault" per my Haynes repair manual.

My first guess is it's a bad catalytic converter or a bad sub-oxygen sensor. I would lean towards the sensor because of the low miles and age.

Any thoughts/help would be great. A new sub-oxygen sensor is around $75, but I would like some opinions before just replacing thangs!

First I would reset the code and see if it comes back - sometimes these CEL will come on when a sensor is in a funk, but everything is actually fine.

P0420 is most likely a lazy downstream O2 sensor - like you mentioned. But some other possibilities are a bad or faulty coolant temperature sensor, plugged exhaust (bent pipe, dinged up cat, etc.), or VVT-i is in a funk (oil control valve is sticking).

Best to verify the voltage levels (should be realtively steady) on the O2 sensor (backprobe it will be easiest) and monitor them to see if the sensor is still OK. If the voltage is all over the place - then the cat is bad.

Guest EricC

Here's the latest.

I found a friend with a code reader that could also read the voltage of the two oxygen sensors with a graphical readout. It looked like both sensors were working OK. I reset the CEL 2 times, but the P0420 code continued to return within 40 miles. I called a Toyota dealer and found out the catalytic converter was still covered under the 80,000 mile warranty ( the oxygen sensors are no longer covered). The dealer is convinced it's the catalytic converter and is going to replace under warranty.

I got the impression that P0420 is almost always a catalytic converter issue.

Thanks for your help.

Wow - a bad cat at 50K miles - atleast it is covered under warranty. Let us know what the outcome is.

Last year, my 2001 Corolla CE 3-speed auto experienced the same problem (code 420), and the Dealer fixed it (changed the cat. convertor) under the California Emission Warranty (since I live in California).

Everything looks great so far. No problem.

Just to let you know, I believe the Federal Emission Warranty is different from California Emission Warranty. But you said that you have about 50K miles, so that's not really an issue.

- uchok00 default_ph34r

Guest nil

Need advice! I am getting P0420 on TOYOTA Corolla 2000 (90K miles).We went for a long drive and drove 852 miles since Friday to Sunday; mostly on interstate and partially (20-30 miles) on highways in hills. Drove around 600 miles. Then while returning home the car was running out of gas (Orange red light started showing up.) We passed an exit without filling gas, because the gas brand there was not known to us. Unfortunately there was no gas exit for a while. Bottom line we drove with orange (low gas) sign on for 20 to 30 miles. After refilling the gas continued journey and after a while got CEL with code P0420.

I went through forums saying about problem with O2 sensors and cat converters. Don't really want to pay $1000 to replace cat. Not sure how to start. Can overdriving cause it OR driving few miles with low gas (orange sign) on?

Can someone please advice on how to go about it? (I have replaced MAF sensor a year ago. Car gives same mileage 37 to 38 mpg in my last trip. Temp gauge behaves normally indicating ECT sensor is probably ok. I made sure that gas tank cap is tight. After first seeing CEL, drove around 100 miles on Interstate and 15 miles in city, drives normal but CEL is still on. I am going to clean the code and try if it reappears, will post the result. ) Till then any comments from experts are most welcome.

Bikeman982

Need advice! I am getting P0420 on TOYOTA Corolla 2000 (90K miles).We went for a long drive and drove 852 miles since Friday to Sunday; mostly on interstate and partially (20-30 miles) on highways in hills. Drove around 600 miles. Then while returning home the car was running out of gas (Orange red light started showing up.) We passed an exit without filling gas, because the gas brand there was not known to us. Unfortunately there was no gas exit for a while. Bottom line we drove with orange (low gas) sign on for 20 to 30 miles. After refilling the gas continued journey and after a while got CEL with code P0420.

I went through forums saying about problem with O2 sensors and cat converters. Don't really want to pay $1000 to replace cat. Not sure how to start. Can overdriving cause it OR driving few miles with low gas (orange sign) on?

Can someone please advice on how to go about it? (I have replaced MAF sensor a year ago. Car gives same mileage 37 to 38 mpg in my last trip. Temp gauge behaves normally indicating ECT sensor is probably ok. I made sure that gas tank cap is tight. After first seeing CEL, drove around 100 miles on Interstate and 15 miles in city, drives normal but CEL is still on. I am going to clean the code and try if it reappears, will post the result. ) Till then any comments from experts are most welcome.

Driving 20 or 30 miles with the orange "Low fuel" light on is not a problem.

You may have picked up some sediment from the bottom of the fuel tank.

Try resetting the computer and see if the fault code comes back.

Usually a permanent fault code of P0420 does result in an O2 sensor or catalytic converter change.

Guest nil

Driving 20 or 30 miles with the orange "Low fuel" light on is not a problem.

You may have picked up some sediment from the bottom of the fuel tank.

Try resetting the computer and see if the fault code comes back.

Usually a permanent fault code of P0420 does result in an O2 sensor or catalytic converter change.

Sounds correct. Yesterday after posting above issue, I left the office and the CEL had gone on its own. Thank God! Probably loose fuel tank cap or driving with low fuel for a while might have triggered it.

Here's the latest.

I found a friend with a code reader that could also read the voltage of the two oxygen sensors with a graphical readout. It looked like both sensors were working OK. I reset the CEL 2 times, but the P0420 code continued to return within 40 miles. I called a Toyota dealer and found out the catalytic converter was still covered under the 80,000 mile warranty ( the oxygen sensors are no longer covered). The dealer is convinced it's the catalytic converter and is going to replace under warranty.

I got the impression that P0420 is almost always a catalytic converter issue.

Thanks for your help.

A p0420 code with so few miles? Keep an eye on the oil level. Some '01 Corollas consume more oil than others which can in turn ruin a catalytic converter.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)