Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Stalling 2001 Corolla

Guest Shift

I have a 2001 Corrla CE with 170K Km. On a cold start the engine idles good and accelerates OK the first time. If the car comes to a stop before the engine is fully warm the engine idle soemtimes drops very low and the car stalls. Usually the idle is OK but as soon as the gas peddle is pushed the car stalls. The car will accelerate instead of stalling if the gas peddle is lightly pumped while starting off. the problem has been getting progressively worse over the past 80K Km. The " Check Engine" light has never appeared.

I have discussed this problem with my Toyata dealer. The service people felt that the only possibility for a problem was that the mass air flow sensor was getting dirty and sending bad readings to the CPU. After a careful cleaning of the sensor I found that nothing had changed (the sensor looked very clean anyway).

Spark plugs, Air filter, PCV valve have all been changed.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of this problem?

I'd take it to the dealer and tell them the maf cleaning did no good and see what else they say. if you used anything with silicone in it that confuses the maf. sometimes people have to clean the several times before they start working properly even though they look clean so you can try again and see if that works before taking it to the dealer.

Guest Shift

The maf sensor was cleaned with alcohol.

I will probably check with the dealer again. As a programmer, I don't understand why a stall condition wouldn't register as an error.

maybe your cel bulb isnt working? does it come on when you start the car? if so then its working.

The maf sensor was cleaned with alcohol.

I will probably check with the dealer again. As a programmer, I don't understand why a stall condition wouldn't register as an error.

Some conditions will not trigger a CEL - but the ECM will still flag it as potential problem and store it in memory for later retrieval. If sensors are dead or dying - they could cause conditions to be so out of whack - that the computer could be confused.

Guest Shift

The CEL works as it comes on when the car is started.

Is there any other possibility of a faulty component other than the maf sensor? If not, I can try replacing it.

Could also be a lazy O2 sensor or clogged catalytic converter causing some problems. Some have reporting issues with VSS sensor problems and idle up control components going bad. Don't discount emission related problems, dirty throttle body, faulty coolant temperature sensor.

There are many other things to check/test first before you start swapping in new parts (unless the MAF is verified to be bad).

Guys,

I had the exact problem for 2 years on my 2000 VE. When the car was in warranty they replaced the charcol canister from the fuel tank. After 3 years and well out of warranty the check engine light came on. I lived with it for a wile, hesitation on cold starts, if the car colled for 20 minutes it hesitated until warm. I found the technical bulleting from toyota an the problem is the MAS sensor. I orderd itfrom autozone and replaced it 2 days ago. My CAR RUNS LIKE NEW AGAIN:) NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!

**Occasional problems on this vehicle are failures of the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor and the Canister Closed Vacuum Switching Valve or Pressure Sensor Vacuum Switching Valve. Failure of the MAF Sensor and the Canister Closed Vacuum Switching Valve or the Pressure Sensor Vacuum Switching Valve can cause the check engine light to illuminate. On some vehicles the MAF Sensor can be cleaned and will not need to be replaced. The cost to replace the Canister Closed Vacuum Switching Valve is estimated at $44.18 for parts and $45.50 for labor. The cost to replace the Pressure Sensor Vacuum Switching Valve is estimated at $75.68 for parts and $65.00 for labor. The cost to replace the MAF Sensor is estimated at $151.10 for parts and $58.50 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.**

AUTOZONE INFO:

http://www.autozone.com/

CARDONE MASS & VANE MASS AIR FLOW PART #74-50010 1 $65.00-CORE + $71.99 = $136.99

Guest Shift

That's interesting....

I'll check it out

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)