Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2006 Corolla Engine Hps

by uchok00, August 14, 2005

I was on www.toyota.com website earlier, reading the new spec on 2006 Corolla, and it states that the engine Hp is at 126hps....

What happened? It's less than the 130hps of my 2001 Corolla, or 135hps of 2003-2005 Corolla.....

- uchok00 default_ph34r

They might have found a way to make the car lighter. If so, they can make the car faster or at least just as fast with less HP.

HP is just one way to make a car faster. Gear ratios and weight play big roles.

Great, another way the Corolla can be the 1st sailing car ever. (As if mine doesn't sway enough in the breeze)

Add wings and it'll be a glider

Max

2001 Corolla has 125 horsepower, 03-05 Corollas have 130. I do wonder why they've dropped it to 126 for 06. I see the XRS is now at 164 hp as opposed to 170. It doesn't appear that the cars are any lighter. The CE is heavier than my 03.

Great, another way the Corolla can be the 1st sailing car ever. (As if mine doesn't sway enough in the breeze)

Do you happen to have a CE? The smaller tires on the CE make the car feel unsafe at HWY speeds. I've been in a rental and I didn't like it at all.

If your car feels unstable, try new tires and if you have the CE, get the 195 tires instead of the 185. Also, if you get long lasting touring tires, they can feel mushy and unsporty. Just about any H rated all weather sport tires is going to make the car feel nicer then stock.

Ti-Jean

I was on www.toyota.com website earlier, reading the new spec on 2006 Corolla, and it states that the engine Hp is at 126hps....

What happened? It's less than the 130hps of my 2001 Corolla, or 135hps of 2003-2005 Corolla.....

- uchok00  default_ph34r

Don't worry, engine is the same but output has changed because of this:

"About SAE J1349 Certified Power

Power and torque certification provide a means for a manufacturer to assure a customer that the engine they purchase delivers the advertised performance. This SAE Standard has been written to provide manufacturers with a method of certifying the power of engines to SAE J1349 or SAE J1995. Document SAE J2723 specifies the procedure to be used for a manufacturer to certify the net power and torque rating of a production engine according to SAE J1349 or the gross engine power of a production engine according to SAE J1995. Manufacturers who advertise their engine power and torque ratings as Certified to SAE J1349 or SAE J1995 shall follow this procedure. Certification of engine power and torque to SAE J1349 or SAE J1995 is voluntary, however, this power certification process is mandatory for those advertising power ratings as "Certified to SAE J1349".

SAE Engine Rating Standard Prevents Numbers Fudging (an article on how GM will use SAE J1349 Certified Power, AEI May 2005, Vol 113 No.5, p 59 )

General Motors has become the first manufacturer to certify an engine's power and torque ratings using a newly adopted SAE standard (J2723), James Queen, GM Vice President, Global Engineering, announced during his keynote address at the SAE World Congress and Exhibition in April 2005. The world's largest automaker plans to certify all of its engines to the voluntary standard, and is encouraging its competitors to do the same. The LS7 engine for the 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 was certified under the new standard this month. The 7.0-L V8 unit produces 505 hp (377 kW) at 6300 rpm and 470 lboft (637 Nom) at 4800 rpm. "The new voluntary SAE power and torque certification procedure ensures fair, accurate ratings for horsepower and torque as it uses third-party certification," said Queen. "SAE technical standards level the playing field, and this certification procedure is just the latest example of the value SAE has offered over the past century." To tout power and torque ratings as "SAE-certified," engine manufacturers must have an SAE qualified witness watch over the entire testing procedure to ensure that it is conducted in conformity to SAE standard J1349. Third-party witnessing is the main provision of J2723. An existing SAE standard, J1349, spells out how the actual testing is to be done. J1349 was updated last year to eliminate some ambiguities that allowed engine makers to cite power and torque ratings higher than the engine's actual capabilities. Engine makers are free to cite power and torque figures drived from testing conducted outside the scope of the SAE standards, but they may not claim the figures are SAE-certifed. "We feel that both the consumer and industry are well served by having accurate, consistent ratings from all manufacturers," said David Lancaster, a Technical Fellow in GM Powertrain and Chairman of the SAE Engine Power Test Code Committee that updated J1349 and wrote J2723. Data from a wide array of parameters (e.g., air:fuel ratio) will be collected during testing conducted to the SAE standards. SAE will create a database and offer it to industry in different packages and at different price points.

By Patrick Ponticel"

So we're bound to see more real numbers and less of the rounded to the closest multiple of 5-10-25-50 that suit the marketers. And it is about time they come up with this new third party certification. Exactly what I had been wishing for years. Too many inflated numbers have been floating around for too long. Most recently, Hyundai and Mazda and many other engines I could cite. Chrysler's 2.7 l V6 comes to mind.

As for tires on a base CE, I did replace mines with 195/65-15 Yokohama TRZ's and couldn't be happier. It is only T rated but I'm shooting more for ride and comfort than outright handling performance. Best move you can do to give a CE better road poise and comfort than even a LE or S with stock Integrity tires.

Do you happen to have a CE? The smaller tires on the CE make the car feel unsafe at HWY speeds. I've been in a rental and I didn't like it at all.

If your car feels unstable, try new tires and if you have the CE, get the 195 tires instead of the 185. Also, if you get long lasting touring tires, they can feel mushy and unsporty. Just about any H rated all weather sport tires is going to make the car feel nicer then stock.

Nope, I have a 99 LE w/15" tires. I got new tires in end of June. But, even still my LE w/spoiler and moonroof seems to sway. I always keep a bag of kitty litter in back, and my portable collapsable chair in the trunk. (Not that it'd help me in a jam)

The stock Integrity tires on my 2003 CE were unsafe pieces of dog waste in rain & snow.

Went to the 195 Michelins, and it's been great.

That's interesting. I also wonder if manufacturers are rquired to state the pwoer in term of the lowest they guarantee. Meaning that since engine output can vary by bny a few percent due ot manufacturing tolerances, are mfg's required ot state the lowest output based on a statistical range. For example, when you purcahse a 1lb bag of flour, there is always at least 1lb of flour, but in most cases there is slightly more. because less than 1% of all bags can be under the 1lb under weight.

Personally, I wish they published the torque curves instead of just the peak HP number IT tells you a lot more about the engines performance. There's a HUGE difference between a older Corolla that makes 110HP vs a newer one that makes 126HP, than just 16HP.

It also looks like the 06 LE, S and CE all come with P185/65R15 tires, instead of the 05 LE and S with 195s and just the 05 CE with 185s!

Another thing I noticed is the 06 CE can now be had with power windows in USA, but options are _very_ region dependent...

The stock Integrity tires on my 2003 CE were unsafe pieces of dog waste in rain & snow.

Went to the 195 Michelins, and it's been great.

My 2003 CE was quite unstable and hydroplaned badly till I pushed the inflation to 38psi. Drives like a different car. Integritys are quite noisy at anything over 25 psi on my car.

Ti-Jean

It also looks like the 06 LE, S and CE all come with P185/65R15 tires, instead of the 05 LE and S with 195s and just the 05 CE with 185s!

Another thing I noticed is the 06 CE can now be had with power windows in USA, but options are _very_ region dependent...

I just looked in Toyota's US and CDN websites and S and LE's still come with 195/65-15 tires vs 185 for the CE. The confusion stems from the fact that it 's the alloys that are optionnal, not the tires. OTOH, the spec sheet on page 18 (US website) says 185's for the LE, but that is surely a typo.

Amazing the number of optionnal packages on US models vs Canadian models. We have about 2 packages available per model and that's it.

Otherwise, the cars are unchanged for 06.

Indeed, the website says 195s for LE & S, while the brochure says 185s... I would assume that Toyota didn't take a step backwards for the new model default_tongue

Having more options should be a good thing but what sux with option _packages_ is that sometimes you're forced to get things you don't want... Furthermore, the dealer where I got my car from thinks it's a good idea to have the distributor South East Toyota install ToyoGuard (rust proofing, etc) on ALL of their alotted cars, jacking the MSRP up $600...

I wouldnt sweat the hp change, its a small deduction anyway. keep in mind that lower hp in motors doesnt mean inferior performance. many lower hp motors out perform motors with even alot more hp due to better torque, gearing, or lighter weight. I dont know anyone that has found a noticeable difference between the 125hp 8th gens and the 130hp 9th gens btw.

It was interesting to find that the '05 Corolla I just bought is not good in the wind. My wife has an '03 Echo and we never drive it on the highway anymore as we have come close to accidents 3 times in one year. Last year, within the blink of an eye, we were in the lane beside us when a gust of wind hit us. I wonder if, when it is very windy, it would help to open all the windows or not????

Max

I don't think opening the windows will help. I KNOW new tires will.

Yes I have found the Corolla (and smaller Echo) get blown off highways by crosswinds easily. I too was a bit shocked, having previously only driven a larger car (Camry).

Better tires might get rid of the unwanted sideways motion, but I think the Corolla is still prone to the wind because of how light it is. For example, once I was attempting to slip-stream a semi-trailer, got to within 15 feet, but was getting blown *up & down* probably from wind going under the truck.

Ti-Jean

I don't think that it is a matter of weight as much as a matter of height relative to the width of the car.

I've had a 88 CRX that weighed less than 2000 lbs and it was the most stable car I've had in crosswinds. Very short, low center of gravity, aerodynamic (cd 0.30) and only 50" tall. My 92 Celica GT was also great in crosswinds and better than my 99 Accord.

The 9th gen Corolla stands 58" tall, about 4" more than the 8th gen, yet overall width and track are just a fraction more than the previous gen. No matter how much they firmed up the suspension and put bigger sway bars on the car, physics plays against it

The Echo fares even worse at 60" tall on a wheelbase 9" shorter than the Corolla.

It's a compromise Toyota made to design roomier small cars.

Tightening up the steering ratio in the Corolla could help in alleviating that behavior in crosswinds. That and a wider track for the 10th generation.

Just hold the damn steering wheel harder and build yourself some muscles in the process! Seriously, I've heard a lot of bad things about the echo and wind but came across really annoying wind in my corolla only once in nearly two years.

BTW, couldn't that power drop be emissions-related? I think the ca-spec cars were already a bit less powerful. Maybe they just made them all the same now.

Ive had it happen alot to me, and yes use more strength with the steering wheel...you just have to be quick sometimes because the wind will suprise you and take you away fast if you dont react. to me toyota hasnt tightened the suspension near enough or it wouldnt still be happening. a better suspension would help alot with that.

btw my 88mr2 would get blown all over the place, not because it was light or bad body design certainly, but because the suspension toyota put in them was sloppy.

Ti-Jean

btw my 88mr2 would get blown all over the place, not because it was light or bad body design certainly, but because the suspension toyota put in them was sloppy.

May have been caused more by the mid-engine configuration and rear weight bias. Toyota hadn't had the opportunity back in '88, like Porsche, to perfect an imperfect design for 40 years...

ti, the 87- yr mr2's had great suspensions and had no problems. if its not broke dont fix it, but toyota didnt follow that wisdom. they also didnt improve the suspension back to the way it was before after learning that they messed it up either which is stupid also. years later they still continue to make sloppy suspensions which is beyond belief.

Please note that is a Detroit newspapre. I used ot live there... they made FOrd Escape sound like the first Hybrid ever produced...and failed to mention that Ford was actually liscensing the technology from Toyota.

Even though Honda and Toyota were "juicing' up their numbers a little, Their cars had performance to back up the numbers because they are typically much lighter and have shorter gearing than their American counterparts.

GM has a tendency to use a high throttle pedal ratio to shorten throttle travel This makes the car feel more peppy. It also makes the car harder to control. I've read compalints about this in auto reviews. The other trick is to make the speedometer larger or give it shorter range. This makes the needle appear to move faster. Same goes for the tachometer.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)