Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Prepping My 2000 Corolla For A Long Trip

by bluechalice, July 13, 2005

I will be driving cross country for my move back to missouri...it will be a long drive...but we plan to make it a fun road trip as well...

I have new wheels and tires now...and was just wondering if you guys can advise me on what other preparation I need to do to the car to make it safer and more reliable during the trip?

I havent been to the toyota dealer for many months now...I think not since end of last year...I dont know much about cars so I dont know what to tell the mechanic or ask for...

If you can please give me a list of things to do...as of now I can only think of a normal oil change?

Also where would you suggest I go for this? After watching those news consumer reports on automechanics...I am really paranoid...always thinking they would swap your parts etc...and make you add new ones... default_sad

Change oil & filter.

Change coolant if due.

Check hoses, belts, battery, lights, brake pads/shoes.

Change wiper blades if worn.

If you know a good independent mechanic, use them. Otherwise possibly a dealer. Avoid mass market stores (tire stores, etc). Many of them will try to sell you unnecessary work.

Have a pleasant and safe trip.

Besides checking over and preping your car for the long trip, also be prepared for anything that could happen. I always carry a gallon of H20 in the truck as well as a quart of oil -- two most important fluids for a running engine.

Other things to consider would be ... reflectors or flares, a good flashlight, a can of that tire slime inflator goop.

You should be set, a '00 car should take you on this trip and hundreds more w/o any problems at all.

Hey ijf0...when you mentioned 1 gal of water and a quart of oil, you mean engine oil? I am a total newbie when it comes to cars...this is my first long trip...what would the quart of oil serve?

Also...on things like engine oil...and coolant...do they have to be the same brand? same exact type? I ask this is because if I went to a dealer in the past...and then to independant mechanic...how would they know what was in there before?

I remember going to the mechanic a couple of weeks ago to get the tires mounted on and when the car was in the shop...I could see this "glowy" green liquid under the engine of my car...it was like leaking on the floor...was this the coolant? and why was it leaking? I also saw a big pan of that green liquid near my car...Did the mechanic flush out something? I dont know but I thought I saw him pouring or filtering it and put it back on my cars engine...

I think my belt should be ok...just replaced it a couple of months ago...battery is new too...

Hey BobLevine you mentioned check hoses...which hose would that be...sorry I really am still learning about my car...

Also...you mentioned checking lights...I assume you mean headlights? I dont know how long the bulbs have been...should I buy some bulbs for the headlights like some spare ones just in case? Is it easy to install myself? or should I stop at some walmart or something?

Have any of you use those wiper blades by Rain X? are they any good?

Again...thanks for all the advise...please keep them coming.... default_biggrin

Lots of good suggestions so far. My usually running gear for long distance driving (keep it in an unused carry one case - stops it from rolling around all over the trunk):

- road flares/warning triangles

- 1/2 gallon of premixed Toyota Red coolant

- extra serpentine belt (just kept the last one that I changed)

- small ratchet tool kit, screw drivers, pliers, metric open end wrenches

- Leatherman tool

- one quart of motor oil (same if possible)

- 12V portable air pump

- jumper cables

- tarp / towels

- assortment of hose clamps

In a small duffel bag - keep on the floor behind my seat:

- couple of bottles of drinking water (replaced every months)

- snacks / dry foodstuff (replaced every months)

- extra clothes

- paper / pens / spare change (tolls, payphone calls)

Things I keep in the glove box.

- Mini-Mag light (penlight)

- Owners manual

- maps

- tire pressure guage

- aluminum foil and duct tape (really handy stuff)

Definitely make sure the car is in good shape before you drive any distance. Check under the hood and look for anything usually - leaks, cracked rubber bits, loose connectors, etc. Check all belts, radiator/heater hoses, air box, soft and hard lines (fuel line, brake lines, etc.) == All this is usually checked on by good mechanics - but your should still have a quick look.

Check condition of brakes, tires, conditions of wheels, all running lights (brake, headlights, turn signal, hazards), check wiper blades - replace if neccessary, keep the windows clean (Rain-X works great - takes some playing around before you can find what works for you - I usually apply it at least twice, lasts a lot longer for me and no chattering or streaking).

Top off all fluids, check tire pressures, make sure you are refreshed, bring some tunes can't hurt (CD or tapes) - once around the car and you are good to go.

fish you forgot to buy a poncho to store in your bag so you'll be covered out in the rain fixing your car where your clothes wont get soaked. theyre cheap to buy, only a few dollars. I hate rainx, I cant get it to apply without leaving streaks to save my life. no matter how much I wipe afterwards the streaks never disappear. I just use wax on the windshield and that makes it slippery where the water beads during rain and the wipers dont chatter.

blue, the fluid you saw was coolant...sounds like he flushed your radiator out. yah he meant one quart of engine oil incase your engine uses some up during the trip you could pour some of that quart in the motor to keep the engine full. fluids dont require being the same brand and type, dealers use the correct fluids so its just the independent mechanics you have to worry about putting inferior fluids in your car. I wouldnt buy spare bulbs, just check to see that theyre all working. if not then buy the replacement, and theyre easy to install.

I dont know if yall enjoy using that junk toyota jack but I dont so I carry a 2 ton jack in the trunk that lifts the car much faster with less effort. I have a big craftsman 1/2" socket wrench with a 3" extension and 13/16" socket for the lugs [dont use a cheap wrench it will break, leaving you stranded] to take the wheels off faster and with much less effort instead of using that small junk toyota lug bar to take the lugs off.

Carry a roll of duct tape.

Great for a temporary fix on a hose and other things.

I might be planning a trip from Los Angeles, CA to Chelan, WA in August....about 1,400 miles. So I appreciate the tips that will come in handy.

Currently, my car (2001 Corolla CE, 3-speed auto) has about 110,000 miles, running 10W-30 Chevron Supreme Regular Dino oil. The car loses about 1 1/2 quart of oil for every 3,000 miles oil change. So, I'll definitely be bring extra oil...... default_laugh

- uchok00 default_ph34r

Carry a roll of duct tape.Great for a temporary fix on a hose and other things.

He is not driving a Ford Tempo default_tongue

Change the oil, check all the fluids, belts, brakes, tires and catch up on any maintinence items you know you need

In addition to all of the items mentioned above, I'd include a lightweight reflective vest of the type used by road work crews. Make sure it has plenty of reflective material all around it. It will keep you visible under all lighting conditions. If you need to work on your car alongside the road for any length of time, PUT IT ON!!!

I also keep a pair of leather gloves in my trunk. The glove compartment is too full of other junk.

Neat trick: Keep a roll of paper towels in the car. To prevent them from unravelling, use a lightweight bungee cord around the roll to hold it together. As the roll diminishes in diameter, you can just make another loop of the bungee cord around the roll. I use the real thin bungees that are about 18" long. I also keep a heavier bungee cord in the trunk in case I need to carry something in the trunk that won't allow me to close it. Just be careful nobody sees any feet sticking out.

I plan to drive 2500 miles in August as I am moving. Plan to check the oil daily on my trip. Will let you all know if my 1ZZ-FE engine makes it ok on the trip.

sv11

Radiator & heater hoses should be inspected.

All bulbs should be checked - head, tail, marker, stop, high-mount stop.

fish you forgot to buy a poncho to store in your bag so you'll be covered out in the rain fixing your car where your clothes wont get soaked. theyre cheap to buy, only a few dollars. I hate rainx, I cant get it to apply without leaving streaks to save my life. no matter how much I wipe afterwards the streaks never disappear. I just use wax on the windshield and that makes it slippery where the water beads during rain and the wipers dont chatter.

A poncho! default_biggrin I knew I was forgetting something - good idea 01.

Yeah, the Rain-X stuff can be a PITA to get on right. But one you get it on a certain way - won't streak or cause the blades to chatter. Got to really buff the silicone around.

that would royally bite to be so well prepared yet break down in the rain and be mad the whole time getting yourself soaked saying why on earth didnt I think of that when I thought of everything else. if living in arizona, ect where it never rains then it wouldnt matter but for alot of us it'd be good to have one or two ponchos in the car because Ive found that breakdowns dont happen in optimal weather or times. usually its in the middle of nowhere during a pitch black night in a rainstorm so I'd be prepared for the worst. if youre in the mountains then bring a gun too to keep the beasts off you so you dont get your skull munched on while changing a flat. lmbo

Wow this is awesome...You guys all really inspire me to be more knowledgeable about my own car...wish I know more...but here I am and I am learning a lot here on this forum!!! default_biggrin

I see on fishexpo101's list...I have most stuff..except the premixed toyota red coolant and airpump...I still have my worn serpentine belt in the trunk...so that can serve as a backup...

Ok while I am on coolant...is there a "best" brand or item to use? 01loadedLE mentioned that the mechanic probably flushed out my radiator...can you explain more on this...I mean when I went in for them to check my brakes and also to bolt on the new tires...I didnt mention to flush the radiator...so is this a thing most mechanics will do for you for free everytime you take your car in? Also...do they reuse the coolant or do they put new one in? Since mine was a green coolant...Fishexpo101 mentioned that red coolant...what is the difference? can I just buy that red one to keep handy and add to the green one?

On motor oil...I see the Mobil 1 name come up quite often...is it better than the usual one they put in at toyota dealers?(I dont even know if the toyota one is a generic or they just use some brand that they put the toyota logo on?) Is there only one mobil 1 motor oil or are there many different types? I have a corolla 2000...would using a certain one be better?

Yeah seems like getting the rain X on is pretty tricky...the last time my wife put some one it had streaks...so I think we are gonna try again this weekend...

I went to this surplus store to get some supplies for the trip...got some tie down straps etc...flashlights...and I saw this nice 12 inch bowie so I had to just get it...kinda like a Rambo knife...but I was wondering...I really wanna keep it in the car just as a self defense against anything...in case we get stranded in nowhere...the guy at the store suggest keeping it in the trunk...Is that legal? I mean I am crossing a couple of states..if I take the southern route...will be going through Arizona, texas then to missouri...(if northern route-colorado, Utah , kansas )...

blue -

i can almost guarentee that the only thing you are gonna have to do on your trip is get the oil changed once or twice depending on how far your trip is.

2nd most likely thing in my opinion, flat tire.

As far as the mixed coolant -- i woudnt even worry about that. just make sure you have some water. In the event your engine over heats you can just add the water (** after the engine cools**) to make your car drivable to the next exit or town to pick up whatever you need there .. there is no sence in carrying too much emergency stuff or you wont have any room left in your car. If you carry a 50/50 mix of coolant you wont be able to use the water for anything else if the need arises -- drinking, washing, cooling off, cleaning a cut, etc etc etc. Water can also be added to you washer fluid tank (not below freezing) in case you are stuck in bad weather and run out of washer fluid. It doesnt have cleaning properties, but sometimes you just need a shot of water to help things go away.

Oil and water are about the only two things that you could possible need on a long trip anyway. If something breaks so severly that it leaks all the fluid at once, chances are you're gonna have to call a truck anyway :-(

Things like a serp. belt wont even do you good unless you have the tools in your car to change it. If you dont ... consider leaving it behind. No sence in haivng a belt if you have to call a truck anyway. Chances are slim that the tow driver will loan out his tools for a lesser price than towing your car to the nearest shop.

--Not that you need a lot of tools to change the serp belt, but my point is -- lets be safe and cover the most likely happenings, but lets not get crazy.

An air compressor isnt necessary if you have a can of that slime stuff -- the can will have enough air in it to get you to a service station -- slowly. But truth be told, a lot of those all-in-one jumper/starter/air compressor/power center units are a good deal now adays.

I feel like im rambling now, but I dont want you to be carrying all this extra stuff that wont be practicle.

Other non-maintenance things are:

If you're going to be driving through any severe climates or things like that make sure you have some personal effects to accomedate you on the trip if need be. For instance: water (see above), sun screen (for your left arm hanging out the window), snacks (to keep you away and alert on the way -- i've heard apples work good, but those dont keep as well as crackers or a granola bar -- stay away from too much sugar, it will make you drousy), gloves, hat, extra top and bottom if its winter.

Garbage bags -- can double as a poncho and are great for the environment. Why? because if you have a garbage bag people are more likely to take your garbage with you rather than A)throw it out the window, or default_cool leave it on the side of the road. -- Not you specifically of course, but I am a nature freek, OK nature lecture over.

About the knife, from my experience a lot of states use a rule that can often be as simple as "if the knife, when laid across yourr palm, is longer than your palm, it is 'illegal'". Please dont quote me on that -- im not into the whole knife thing, but I have heard that a few times before. Plus, a knife can be used against you if the perp. gets ahold of it. Try taking pepper spray or something like that.

I'm racking my brain trying to think of what else you will need, but chances are you arent even going to use the oil and water.

Have a great trip, and always remember, ENJOY IT.

Hey ijf0 thanks for taking the time to reply...really appreciate it...I really hope I dont get a flat...cause those tires are new...but never know... I removed my small spare and put in my old full sized tire(with the factory steel wheels)...

Right now I dont know what oil is in my car...but I am thinking of changing to Mobil 1 5w-30...how many quarts do I have to get? the mechanic probably have to flush out the old oil right?

I might look into that electronic compressor thing...always wanted to get one...

On the note of engine overheating...what are the causes? driving for a long time? super hot weather? what do I have to watch out for? sorry about rambling on with all these questions...I really have never driven long distance before.. default_sad

your car will not over heat unless there is some type of problem with the cooling system ... which in a 2000 (i think thats what you said you have) is not very likely at all. most common causes would be either a leak or a stuck thermostat (different than temp gauge on your dash) the thermostat opens when you engin starts to get warm to let water flow through the radiator

you can drive for as long as you want in almost any temp any human could survive in with out your car over heating ... if it was a very old car with other problems there would be a greater chance of over heating, but for your 00 corolla, almost none

as far as flushing the oil ... no need for different grades. Check your book though, i think 5w-30 is what it calls for. If you've been taking it somewhere they are likely putting in whatever weight is correct (5w-30 is the oil weight, or viscosity)

you're going to be fine, drive safe, you likely wont have a problem at all

-IJF

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)