Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Guest pez, July 4, 2005 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

Guest pez

Hello there,

Due to a transmission issue with my Crown Victoria, it looks like I'll be picking up a '97 Corolla from a friend. It is a base model (not even any airbags) '97 5 speed Corolla. It has about 130,000 KM (80,000 MI) on it, and runs well, no known mechanical issues, and in overall good shape. I've poked around these forums a little, and haven't come across any issues for this MY, but I do have a few questions:

1. Any common issues/common problems with these models?

2. Anything in particular to look for?

3. What are the intervals for major maintenance? (timing belt, etc)

4. I run synthetic fluids in all my cars, Mobil 1 for the oil - what sort of grade is good for this motor? I'm guessing 5w30? It's a 5 speed transmission, but any recommendations for the oil, or does it really matter (definitely not as important as an automatic)

5. Anything else to be aware of?

Thank you for your help.

I have a 97 3-speed auto.

180K km later, no problems whatsoever, besides the odd burnt fuse or bulb. I still have original belts, brakes and exhaust. Engine is very quiet at low speeds.

Virtually no power, but the manual tranny should be much better.

5W30 oil. Major service scheduled for basically every 50K miles.

Bullet-proof car.

Guest pez

Thanks for the response. That's great news (except for the lack of power - I'm use to 285 lb ft of torque and 225 hp...) Wow, I really butchered my spelling in the title... That's awful.

Any other opinions?

Max

Pez, don't worry about the spelling. We all do it. default_smile I had a 97 for quite a while, so I'll take a swing at your questions:

>What are the intervals for major maintenance? (timing belt, etc)

Timing belt every 60,000 miles. "Major service" every 30k or two years- flush and fill radiator, service transmission, inspections, air filter replaced, etc.

4. I run synthetic fluids in all my cars, Mobil 1 for the oil - what sort of grade is good for this motor? I'm guessing 5w30? It's a 5 speed transmission, but any recommendations for the oil, or does it really matter (definitely not as important as an automatic)

You'll get many opinions here, but like you, I use 5W30, as it's what Toyota recommends for my 03.

5. Anything else to be aware of?

Nothing I can think of. I did have an issue with steering wheel vibration, but I think it was due to a tire that was out of round. I liked my 97 a lot. It was a good, dependable car. I'd still have it but for the fact that the 03s rolled out and I just had to have one.

Guest pez

Great, thanks! What about the synthetic MTF? What grade should it be in this transmission?

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm