Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Speaker recommendations for 99 ce?

by riker1384, March 15, 2004

I just blew the right front speaker in my 99 CE. I wasn't happy with them in the first place, so I'm considering upgrading all of the speakers, or maybe just the fronts. Does anyone have any recommendations?

By the way, be careful playing organ music through those speakers. 32' pipes can blow them at less than 60% volume.

Those are probably 4" or 5-1/4" speakers. Jsut swing by best buy and pick-up a mid priced $50 pair. Most in that price range have a shallow depth (smaller magnet) and should fit without problem. I'd remove the existing speakers and measure the depth of the opening ot be safe. Even a $50 pair will sound much better than the cheap OEM paper speakers the car came with.

Guest hdsalinas

Hi,

I am about to purchase a CD player (pioneer 4650mp or the 1650 ) for my 99 corolla. I have been using a Sony Discman through the stock tape deck and speakers. This worked fine, until my Discman died last week. Since then I have been looking for a replacement for the HU.

I don’t want to spend much right now (saving for wedding), I am just going to get a good head unit and stick with the stock speakers. Later on I will get better speakers.

I know that whatever pioneer HU that I get, will be a night and day difference over the stock, but will I be able to hear the difference now through the factory speakers.

Thanks,

BTW, is there a way to have the Pioneer HU light up when the dash lights turn on? (Just like in the stock cAssette player)

Guest Kristian

My Pioneer (550 MP Premier, I think) lights up when you turn the car on, at all times. There is, however, a diummer switch to make it less illuminated. But since it is on a screen that is all LEDs, then you need the light, because it is not like the stock deck where it is actaul buttons, with text readable in daylight. The screen on the new HU would need lgiht, otherwise it would be very hard to read.

As for the sound difference, you would hear a difference in clarity and just general quality. Even radio signal seems better.

Some people don't even change speakers when they get a new HU and Amp/Subwoofer, because they can just treat them badly and blow them and then get new ones. They also generally have good bass as stock speakers, better than many new ones.

Good luck with the wedding, and one tip: next time when you have a new topic, post a new topic, not in someone else's, then you will most likely get more or better responses. It also somewhat ruined the previous discussion, if there was one, because you start a completely different one.

Topic List