Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Toyota Extended Warranty...yes Or No?

by deadbug, June 17, 2005

Hey everyone!

I'm taking the long-awaited delivery of my wife's new special-ordered default_wink '05 Rolla S tomorrow and need your thoughts on whether or not to buy the extended warranty on the vehicle.

First, let me say that I normally do NOT ever buy these extended warranties on other items. Secondly, I know how reliable these 'Rollas are--I researched them well--and that's why I bought one (plus I think they're pretty cool).

BUT, I had problems with a '91 Camry (2 engine replacements--one at my expense, transmission overhauled, and many, many other issues) that make me strongly consider purchasing a warranty extension.

Please feel free to list your thoughts pro or con on the issue...just want a free-wheeling discussion. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Deadbug

sounds like a rare situation with your camry, you wont run into that again so I wouldnt waste money on an ext warr. most of the time when something goes wrong its something that the ext warr doesnt even cover, or if it is covered it doesnt approach the cost of the ext warr so I say just do as you have wisely been doing and save your money.

congrats on the new car, hope your wife loves it. whats the color, options, price?

....so I say just do as you have wisely been doing and save your money.

congrats on the new car, hope your wife loves it. whats the color, options, price?

thanks 01!

Here's what we're getting:

2005 Corolla S 4 spd A/T

Phantom Grey Pearl

ABS,

Sunroof, Side & Curtain Airbags

All wx-gaurd pkg.

Extra value package: Cruise Control, power windows, keyless entry, alloy wheels, rear spoiler

security system

tinted windows

Accent stripes

AM/FM 6-disc CD w/6 speakers

$18, 156 (not including tax and license)

.....oh, and one very happy wife ;-)

Depends on what kind of price you are getting for the warranty.

For example, a dealer in VA (I think) sells them for $1 over cost, genuine Toyota warranty. $0 deduct/100k mile/7 year for $795 for a 2005 Sienna. Should be much cheaper for a Corolla.

nice ride dead, no reason for a wife not to like that. is that $18K sticker price or haggle price? slap a pic of the ride on here after you get it.

Deadbug:

The '05 Corolla sounds great, but I'm not too crazy about that price, assuming it's the price paid!

I have never purchased an extended warranty on any new vehicle I've ever purchased, although it may not have been a bad idea on the '91 Ford Taurus I owned until I bought my '01 Corolla LE 5-speed in '00. I wouldn't bother with it on a Corolla, but might consider it for a more complex vehicle like a Prius or any other hybrid. You'll be OK without it.

I bought a Toyota warranty from a dealer in MA although I live in NC.

Low price - why not protect against big hits. One decent repair & I'm even.

Your car will be covered under 3years/36k ?? bumper -to -bumper warranty and 5/60K (is it still or toyota extended it) on powertrain. You may ask if you can buy extended warranty after 3/36 is over (but price maybe a bit highe. Read powertrain warranty. Note that some external engine parts( like belt tensioner are not included in powertrain warranty). Extended warranty covers more.

The price is cheap. I'm looking for new HDTV in $2500 range and extendent warranty cost like 400$

is that $18K sticker price or haggle price? slap a pic of the ride on here after you get it.

the 18.1K was the haggle price. to get there, I started with the Consumer Reports buyers kit info on the car as equipped...invoice minus holdback. I also came in with a bid from carsdirect.com ($18,055).

Remember, I loaded this thing up to the max...and with ABS and the very expensive Sunroof and Side Curtain airbags combo. Most S models at dealers never come with ABS or Side curtain airbags.

Sticker price was $20,005. And that was before any of the usual taxes, license and fees. So they essentially matched the carsdirect quote. I feel very satisfied with the deal. I'll try to post pics soon.

Hey all...thanks for all the good points. they pretty much mirrored my own thoughts on it. I found myself really sitting on the fence.

Well, today picked up the car at the dealer...man, is iit sweeeeet!!! the wife loves it and was smiling all the way home in it. I was following in my '92 Jeep Cherokee default_sad

....I decided NOT to decide on the extended warranty right now LOL. I understood that I can get the ext warranty anytime before the original warranty expires.

Thanks again...this forum is great.

as long as she's happy with it I'd be happy even if it did cost $20k. there's nothing that car doesnt have and it will last a long time. we did the same back in 00 when we bought this one, I followed her home 95 miles watching her have a blast in it smiling ear to ear. good memory.

Guest changeling

I just bought a 2004 Corolla from a dealer (after shooting my '99 Jetta in the engine block and trading it in)

Yeah..I went for the extended warranty. The repairs for a sensor this or regulator that were sending me to the poorhouse on the VW.

OK, I've owned two Corollas before and it probably WON'T need any of that but I need to cover myself now that I am a single one car family again. The price was right, APR lower than my credit union and the dealer one mile from work with free shuttle.

Welcome me back into the Toyota fold.

Changeling

Max

Welcome back to Toyota, changeling, and welcome to Corolland, too. I got the extended warranty. Been pretty amibvalent about it, but now that the car is paid off and I still have three years bumper to bumper ahead of me, I am (mostly) glad I paid for it.

I'm in the same situation as you, Max.

The warranty is a good thing since it also keeps dealers honest. If they sell you a bunch of unneeded warranty work, Toyota will soon be yanking on their cojones.

I bought a Toyota warranty from a dealer in MA although I live in NC.

Bob,

Did you buy the warranty at a discount from that dealer in MA? (BTW I live in SC)

Since I can't seem to get the forum search function to work for me (brings up a blank page for results), I manually went back to an old thread on the topic of discount extended warranties and found one member who bought one from a Scott Moss for $693 including tax. Now that is starting to look pretty good to bring out the b-t-b warranty out to 7 years and 100K. Got me thinking again default_unsure

We acually passed on the extended warranty. Most of it was the price because it was very costly, but we also passed on it because we were buying a Toyota. We're playing the odds a little bit, but if we have major problems with a corolla, then I will loose all faith in cars.

We take car of our cars very well, and I'm banking on any major defects to show it's ugly face before the warranty runs out. I just gave our car our first oil change at 3K miles and I gave it Mobil 1 and a TRD air filter. I plan on keeping the car the long haul and I don't belive it takes a extended warranty to help the car last.

If it will help you sleep better at night, go ahead and get the extended warranty, but I hardly every buy the extended warranty unless I know things are pron to failing, like a all in 1 printer. If you ever use the extended warranty, then it might pay for it'self, if you don't then it was a wast of money.

That was me who bought the warranty from Scott Moss. It was cheap and easy. Same warranty as the 1100 dollar one I canceled.

his number is 804 755 9200

I got mine from Todd Dietrich at a Mass dealer Toyota of Greenfield.

He gave me an awesome deal.

I got mine from Todd Dietrich at a Mass dealer Toyota of Greenfield.

He gave me an awesome deal.

Thanks Bob...okay, I'll bite:

...and the awesome deal was????? default_smile

I compared several recommended here, including Todd Deitrich. Scott Moss had the lowest price.

I paid under $500 for 6yr/75K mile warranty.

Son paid about $600 for 6yr/100K.

Todd was friendly and easy to work with.

Thanks for the information Elvis and Bob!

Topic List