Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest airdance

"Check" caution light in Corolla 2002 CE model.

I have this light on for the past two days. The owner manual says "take it to Toyota Dealer". Can someone please educate as to why this light comes on and how can I avoid dishing out a few hundreds of dollars to the Toyota Dealer?

Thanks

If there is an AUtozone or Part America in your area - take it there to get the code pulled - they will do it for no charge.

As for what can set a check engine light - almost anything. Anything from a bad tank of gas to not tightening the gas cap enough to a precursur to potentially catastropic engine problems. CEL will come on anytime a sensor returns a signal that is way off spec or sensor that is nonfunctional.

welcome to the group.

it may just turn out that you only need to clean a sensor where you wont have to spend money on new parts. tell us what error code autozone finds then we'll be able to help. good luck.

Bikeman982

Is there someplace where the codes are decoded so the general public can get a list of them?

I dont know where it would be listed but maybe someone here does.

Here's a list:

http://bwringer.com/vvt/trouble_codes.html

In my experience, the trouble code list that Autozone has is dead wrong. Who knows, though. Maybe I just always get Skippy the Idiot in his first week on the job. They seem to hire a lot of Skippys.

Make sure you look at the scanner yourself and write down the trouble codes. Once I got Skippy the Idiot's pal, Spanky the Dyslexic, and he wrote down the wrong trouble code.

Still beats dropping $100 on my own scanner.

Guest scorpionzx1

You can also get the codes from a chiltons manual (very helpful book). and if the car is still running..... its either really easy to fix, or bad.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)