Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Power Steering Going Out?

Guest ryanhatton

i have a 96 corolla automatic. i bought it at around 100,000 miles or so around 6 months ago. i had all the belts changed as a precaution and some of the seals. a month ago my sterring wheel would squeek as i turned it i figured the power steering was low. i filled it up and the squeeking went away. a week or so later it came back and the power steering seems to go out when i start the car up but then will work pretty good once i get going. has anyone else ever had this problem. my dad tried to tell me the belt might be loose, but knowing nothing about cars i decided to ask here first to see if that was a good ideea or what else it could be. i also have no idea how to even tighten the so called belt he is talking about.

thanks,

ryan

Guest kill-p

i ahve the same problem on my 93 corolla. the power steering will squeak when i first turn on the car then it will stop. I changed the belt and changed the fluid in the pump but it still does it. I think its just a crappy pump design.

Guest ryanhatton

dude when i start it the power steering doesn't work at all and squeeks....makes coming out of the parking lot kind tricky

Could be a loose belt - could also be fouled or contaminated fluid and or leaking seals. Best bet is to change the belt if it hasn't been down already - good to do in any case. Then try flushing the old fluid out of the power steering reservoir - some disconnect the lines, others siphone the fluid out of the reservoir and hope to change out some of the fluid. Check the fluid type - some ask for power steering fluid others will say use Dexron-II ATF - should be listed in the manual and on the fill cap itself.

Good Luck.

Guest AncientCorolla

Most like power sterring belt. Just get it replace and don't bother to diagnose. Replacing steering belt is cheap and worth the time. 10 years old car not surprise to have bad steering belt. I have replaced mine a year back and I have a 1994 model.

Guest dlichterman

the hose on my 98 sprung a pinhole leak and sprayed on my engine....smoking like a **....

I have the same problem on my 94. I changed the belt and did nothing. I i have heard of the same thing on celicas that are our years. I think it is a bad power steering pump or something from toyota. i don't know how to diagnos it , but if someone does, please let me know.

Topic List