Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Oil Filter Wrench

Guest Joeinnola

I have owned Corollas for nearly 30 yrs. I just bought a used 2000 for my daughter and none on my oil filter wrenches fit. Does anyone know the size needed (mm) and a GOOD brand? I have had variable experiences with wrenches. I like end cap ones, but a good strap one would do also. Thanks

Max

Wish I could help, but I only hand-tighten mine and don't use a wrench to remove it.

Might try a cap type oil filter wrench - I believe the size is 65mm and 14 or 15 flutes - I dont remember offhand. Just take a extra filter with you to the parts store or grab one off the shelf (preferrable the one that you want to use) and go from there.

Brand - depends on what you like, metal or plastic wrenches. I usually go with whatever is in stock at the time.

next time you buy a new oil filter, just take it to the store and hand

check it with wrench.

It's a little tight for some types of filter wrenches. The best one that I've had any luck with is one that is a little like a nutcracker. It's two rods attached with a hinge, and right after the hinge, the rods are curved. The handles on both rods are rubberized, and you grip the filter by crushing it a little. It's relatively compact, and you can nudge it a little, move the grip on the filter and do it again.

I haven't had much luck with the metal strap wrenches. You need too much room just to get a bite on the filter. In a pinch, a large pair of channelock pliers work well.

I rarely have to use a wrench because I don't tighten it very hard. But the first thing I try is wrapping a rubber tie-down strap around the filter (the kind truckers use to tarp their cargo) and it gives me enough of a grip to get the filter off every time. The only time I need a filter wrench is if I'm doing an oil change for someone else's car and the previous oil change was done by a quick-lube place.

• 55 posts

sears has a really good oil filter wrench that is made of metal, it slips over the end of the filter like other wrenches. you use a 3/8 ratchet that fits into the end of it. the wrench then bites into the filter as you turn the ratchet costs 10 bucks and can be used on multiple filters

An oil filter wench? What's that? A woman who changes your oil filter?

OH, an oil filter WRENCH. That's different.

I bought one of those plastic cap-wrench thingies that I can fit onto my socket wrench extension, and it fits over the bottom of the oil filter. I use this just to loosen the filter, then I spin it off the rest of the way by hand, usually getting a hand-bath in hot Mobil 1. I'm sure that's the same thing Andy and Fish are talking about. Wal-Mart sells a particularly good one, appears to be made of some sort of fiberglass-filled plastic compound. Should last pretty much forever. BTW, I use genuine Toyota 90915-YZZA2 oil filters exclusively.

Topic List