Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

corolla auto tranny

By Guest szlash280z, January 14, 2004

Guest szlash280z

I have an '02 Corolla S with the 4speed automatic tranny. I am used to non computer controlled transmissions (like my 78 280Z-T) and hear that there are "shift kits/chips" that can help out a computerized auto tranny like the Corolla has.

Mine doesn't really allow quick acceleration because when it shifts at 6K the computer drops the RPM down 2,000rpm seemingly out of the powerband and it does this very slowly. And the lag is horrible, it takes too long to downshift or even accelerate when I stomp on the throttle. Has anyone here tried any of these chips that supposedly improve the shift characteristics on the auto tranny? It has always been like this, even on my '97 corolla.

It helps if I take it off O/D and leave it in 3rd but I don't always feel like doing that.

Yes, I know this is a family car, and thats the reason I bought it. I don't drive the Turbo 280Z every day.

Keep in mind that the gear ratios on a 4 speed auto are much wider than on a 5 speed manual. SO a 200RPM drop frmo 6k sounds about right... yes, you will fall out of the pwoerband a little, but the newer engines with VVT (unfortunately you don'[t have) have a flatter power curve up top and a nice even torue curve.

Even if a chip is avialable, the best it can do is unlock the torque converter or hold a gear longer, which will help, but won't make up for the extra 80lbs and wider gearing of an auto tranny.

IMO - automatics generally suck!

I believe that the 1ZZFE engines in the 2002 Corollas due have VVT-i - but even so, just as Cherry128 points out - probably still not enough to overcome the spacing between the gears and the general "slushiness" that plagues most automatic transmissions. I would be wary of the aftermarket parts from just a general compact sports retailer. Better to go with TRD or some of the more well know manufactures - but I would expect much of a performance difference. With an older non-electronically controlled version - that's a different story.

Guest raycastro

Wow, I went from a, '82 280ZX to a Corolla myself, only I had to give up the Z. I itch for another sports car. default_smile

Topic List