Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How many miles do you get on a full tank?

See every reply in these pages:

Guest hdsalinas

Guys I need some numbers for reference here. I recently purchased a 1999 Corolla and i am running some mileage tests.

How many miles do you guys get from a full tank?

thanks

the most i ever got was 502km, from about 42 litres

• 200 posts

That's pretty good mileage. I get about 275-300 from a tank.

Guest raycastro

On the highway, with my 1998 5-Speed, I get 40 mpg. I have a 13 gallon tank, so theoretically I’ll go empty at 520 miles. The furthest I’ve gone on a long highway drive is about 450 miles, and when I filled up at the end of the trip, I had about 1.5 gallons of gas left in the tank.

In city driving, I get 32 mpg. At 330 miles, I’m on “E” and I’m looking for a gas station, where I typically fill up around 10.5 gallons.

Here’s one experience that will throw some people. When my car was about 4 years old, my highway mpg topped out at 36 mpg. A buddy of mine, who designs aluminum heads for race engines, found a 76 gas station with 100 octane unleaded race gas with ethynol. I wondered what effect it would have in my little Corolla, so I took the trip and filled her up. Result? The little Corolla turned into a sweet smelling little rice rocket and I got my 40 mpg back. To this day, I still get 40 hwy on the regular 87/89/91 grades.

Guest xcel

Hi Hdsalinas:

___I have an 03 LE w/ Auto. I always top it off and have filled > 15.3 gallons in its 13.2 gallon rated tank. The farthest I have traveled is 673 miles and came in on fumes but I can routinely travel > 600 miles between tanks with 100% hwy driving on a 180 mile daily commute. Here are my results over the last 3 months …

Date___Miles___Gallons__Mileage

09/15 - 568.9 - 13.100 - 43.42748

09/25 - 368.7 - 08.832 - 41.74592

10/03 - 468.9 - 11.174 - 41.96349

10/08 - 396.3 - 08.668 - 45.71989

10/10 - 297.6 - 07.155 - 41.59329

10/15 - 628.6 - 14.957 - 42.02714

10/21 - 673.7 - 15.360 - 43.86068

10/25 - 177.7 - 03.978 - 44.67069

10/28 - 576.6 - 13.988 - 41.22105

11/01 - 642.2 - 14.738 - 43.57443

11/05 - 556.4 - 12.751 - 43.63579

11/08 - 547.8 - 12.540 - 43.68421

11/11 - 545.6 - 12.502 - 43.64102

11/14 - 543.7 - 12.225 - 44.47444

11/17 - 544.6 - 11.954 - 45.55797

11/20 - 543.8 - 11.830 - 45.96788

11/23 - 544.1 - 12.002 - 45.33411

12/05 - 557.6 - 14.728 - 37.85986 <-- Local city/hwy driving while burning up vacation days.

12/07 - 561.2 - 13.451 - 41.72180

12/09 - 547.2 - 12.295 - 44.50590

___You can go further then you think if you can get your mileage up, figure out how many gallons can fit into your Corolla, and find out how deep your reserve is. I am not sure about the 99’s but on the 03/04’s, they can hold > 15.3 gallons and can travel at least 112 miles after the low fuel light comes on in temps > 40 degrees F. I usually hit the low fuel around 540 to 550 miles myself.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

I get about 27 mpg....but it is commuting to and from work in Cali. ie stop & go then 75-80 mph when go. The best was 39.5 on trip on flat level freeway 75 mph w/cruise. (auto trans)

The EPA numbers are pretty accurate whenthe temps are over 50 degrees outside. In moderate and warmer weather I get 38-42 on teh freeway and 33-38 on my normal commute mixing mostly freeway with some city.

Once, while towing a 1500lb trailer plus 2 passengers and gear at 75-80mph, I got as low as 22mpg! I pretty much had it floored the whole way and even had to use 4th gear on several occasions going up some rolling hills.

Hmm, driving till your fuel tank's empty risks clogging the fuel filter so I avoid that. That said, I think I could get 478 miles out of my nominal 13.3 gallon tank cruising on the highway.

Hmm, driving till your fuel tank's empty risks clogging the fuel filter so I avoid that. That said, I think I could get 478 miles out of my nominal 13.3 gallon tank cruising on the highway.

I don't believe this because the fuel pump is located at the lowest part of the tank and is always drawign off the bottom... therefore any sediment that might accumulate (I don't know where from) is always drawn in first not last.

The other myth is that moisture will float to the top and the last portion of fuel is high in water content. remotely possibly but not a major concern.

The real problem wiht runnign out of fuel is that once the pressure drops in the fuel lines, the injectors will no longer function provide enough fuel and the engine could run extremely lean causing knocking, high cyclinder temps and potential damage to the relatively sensitive catalytic converter.

Guest xcel

Hi Ghost:

___I haven’t ever run the Corolla or any other car I have ever driven dry … I heard from a fellow 03 Corolla owner over at Edmunds that there is ~ 120 miles left once the low fuel light comes on. I had only traveled a maximum 75 miles past the light until I tried it for myself. Low and behold, I now know ~ where my max range/tank capacity limit is. I hope you find yours before you ever do run out of gas … if ever. As for plugging fuel lines and such … Cherry is right on.

___As for top off fills and Vapor Canister trouble, that is another one that I have never had a problem with in my 20 + years of driving. It also saves you from having to travel to the station one extra time out of 4 fill ups or so. That adds up to quite a bit of time vs. the 2 to 3 minutes extra to top off the tank with an extra 2.6 + gallons.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Guest Wendell Wildcat Fan

I've got a '98 corollla 5 spd, and my wife drive 120 highway miles 3 days a week (School). But on the rest of the days, we drive it mostly around town. I have never seen 40 MPG yet, unlike Ray C, but usually I get between 32 and 36 MPG. Funny how the guage says the tank is empty, but there is still over 3 gallons in the tank. I get between 320-350 miles per tankful.

Guest Costello

I get on average 35 mpg in my 3spd 2000 CE.

I refill between 350 and 365 miles on the trip odo.

Most driving is between 60 and 75 mph highway.

Guest cranbo

I estimate about 28-32 MPG. I drive about 90+ mi. per day, mostly highway, variable traffic. Car is 1995 Corolla (basic) auto trans.

Guest 2003Rollaman

How many miles per gallon does someone get with normal driving in extreme cold weather? The last Winter here in the Midwest , the 2003 Corolla LE gas mileage went straight to hell.....Lucky to get in the mid 20,s and that is not warming up and letting the car idle over 30 seconds to 1 minute. For you high mileage MPG drivers, I have NEVER had high average MPG in this car. The best was maybe 36.5 MPG but that was all interstate driving. I do not drive like a bat of hell either.

Guest raycastro

For you high mileage MPG drivers, I have NEVER had high average MPG in this car. The best was maybe 36.5 MPG but that was all interstate driving. I do not drive like a bat of hell either.

On the long highway trips, I stay in 5th gear with cruise control set around 70-75 mph, depending on the flow and speed limits. I keep track ever fill up, and if I see it drop, the first thing I check is my tire pressure. More often than not, it’s low when my MPG drops. Once in a while, I’ll run a few tanks of premium fuel and every other tank I use a fuel additive. I’m also selective of where I get my gas, and typically I use 76, Chevron, Mobil, or Shell. I avoid everything else. I don’t know exactly what combination of those actually make a difference, but those are the results I get.

I have NEVER had high average MPG in this car. The best was maybe 36.5 MPG but that was all interstate driving. I do not drive like a bat of hell either.

First, you have an automatic. I think all the people getting 40+ MPG have 5 speed manuals. The forth gear in the auto might be a sightly lower gear, it weighs 80lbs more, and there are the torqu converter will throw away some effecincy.

Also the speed you drive make a huge difference. At 55mph I can get close to 45mpg. But at 65 it will drop ot 40mpg and by 75 mph, I'm down ot 38mpg. Thsi si mostly because of wind drag is expoentially increasing, and because the engien is reving higher and above 3000RPM, the engien does not run as lean.

On the new fuel injected engines designed ot run super lean, there is a sweet spot where the computer is able to optomize the mixture for economy and emissions. Thsi is under 20% throttle and from 2000-3000 RPM. You could call this a "sweet spot".

IF you are constantly changing the throttle position to maintain speed, then you will lose some mileage. Driving smooth is the key.

As for regularly getting 42-45 mpg.... I'll bet 20 bucks, that that person is driving in heavy freeway traffic and benefitting from a "draft". He is proably the 10th car in a line of 20 all traveling together.

Following a SUV at 60mph by 30 feet or less, a Corolla could easily get nearly 50mpg.

Guest 2003Rollaman

Was just curious as this car is a 2003 LE Automatic and never has come close to these super high MPG as some owners say they are achieving. In the Summer, with smooth driving , I average 34 MPG with 80% interstate driving. The tire pressure is kept around 34 all the way around , which is supposed to be ideal for these tires. The Goodyear Integrity's , which by the way suck and are a very dangerous tire , were replaced at 1,000 miles. I have a couple of co-workers who also have the 2003 Rolla LE automatic and also do not even come close to these numbers. Check out what the car gets in very cold weather, it will not be close to these super high numbers. BTW, we are way past the kidddy age, race car drivers and all drive very conservative. Driving 55 , I may get 35 MPG, 65mph , lucky to get 32 and 75 mph, maybe 30 on a good tank.

I usually get 34-38 MPH hwy in the summer with my 2003 LE Auto. Now that it is colder (below freezing) I get around 29-32 MPH.

Hi Wendall,

Your gas mileage is good for the 98 model Corolla, the 98 Corolla's

got between 36 & 38 miles per gallon with the 5 speed manual tramission.

The reason some people get better mileage with the newer model Corolla's is because the engine was changed (same basic engine) to run more efficiently,

more horsepower & better gas mileage, I get the same mileage as you with my

98 Prizm (same as the Corolla).

Rollaman, the service stations carry 'Winter Gas' during the colder months, and

the formulation of 'Winter Fuel' causes the vehicle to get less gas mileage

(I do not remember the explaination for this), I see my mpg drop during the winter

months.

Also, winter driving is not as efficient as summer for the engine, warm up time, etc..

I usually get around 27mpg, i have 3spd auto, kind suck. I do mostly highway driving @ about 70-90mph. I tried for a couple of weeks not going past 50-60mph and the mileage was the same. STrange.

Guys I need some numbers for reference here. I recently purchased a 1999 Corolla and i am running some mileage tests.

How many miles do you guys get from a full tank?

thanks

Just keep in mind that 2001-2004 owner are getting a better mileage cause of VVTi system on their engine.

on my 98 AT a had a couple of times 40 mpg, but most of the time 28-31 in city

and 33-38 highway.

Guest xcel

Hi All:

___A few tips in regards to mileage.

___Never drive excessively fast or you don’t stand a chance in “h311” to receive anywhere near EPA estimates. I usually drive 60 in the 55 zones, and 65 – 67 in the 65 zones. On the same token, never accelerate excessively fast if at all possible either. When no one is behind on a long stretch between lights/stop signs, I can take as long as 30 + seconds to reach 60 mph. A good way to accelerate with high mileage in mind is to keep the tach at or below 2000 RPM when there is no traffic behind. When there is, accelerate a little faster then an 18-wheeler does so as to not PO the guy behind you … This is at ~ 2,200 to 2,300 RPM.

___I run the OEM GoodYear Integrity’s at 47.5 #’s all around. You can look at the Prius and Insight folks and their forums for guidance as to why.

___I use only Mobil1 5W-30 and a SuperTech filter. Given I drive ~ 4,500 miles/month, 12,500 mile oil changes are the norm.

___When there is a draft, use it. There are two types of drafts. The Straight from behind and the Surf. The straight from behind is the most dangerous but has the highest pay off. The Surf is to hang in the opposite lane just far enough back to enjoy a Cab-over’s wake. It really works!

___Drive to keep a steady engine load, not speed! When you drive up a hill or slight incline, lower your speed to maintain load on the engine ~ constant. On the back or downhill side, increase your acceleration back up to your normal cruising speed using a constant load mentality, not constant speed. You will get the idea once you try it for yourself.

___When coming to a stop light, coast. There is no reason to use the brakes until below 30 mph if you are careful. If there is no one behind, coast even up to the point of crawling. You will catch the light and never lose all of your momentum. In other words, anticipate, anticipate, and anticipate some more … The same can be said for stop sign’s although you do have to stop. A small coast through (just enough to not get into trouble) works as well. Upping your tires to 40#’s or more really pays off because the Corolla can coast for an unfathomably long distance when lower pressures in its tires aren’t holding her back.

___When in traffic, keep at least a 1.5 second buffer between you and the person in front if possible. If a car breaks into your buffer, move back and create new buffer. Even in bumper to bumper crawling, this works to minimize acceleration/decelerations and provides long life given you rarely use the brakes.

___Those are the biggies and they work darn well if I say so myself … The 03 Corolla LE is an automatic and now has 55,030 miles on her. Brakes and pads are almost brand new according to the Toyota Tech that looked at her ~ 12,000 miles ago. I suspect she might actually make it to 150 to 175,000 before her first brake job if that gives you an idea as to how easy I am on the brakes and on the Corolla’s drive train. Higher mileage is not only good for the automobile; it is also good for the environment. CO2 (Greenhouse gases) are a byproduct of fuel consumed. A gallon of fuel contains so much CO2 and it will be released during combustion. The higher your mileage, the lower your CO2 emissions. It makes the longer trip due to slower speeds a little easier to fathom if you think in terms of a lower TCO and lowered emissions. At least it does for me.

___You can read more mileage increasing tips over at Insightcentral.net in an FAQ format. The only real difference for the Hybrid’s is that they try to accelerate using all the electrical Assist available and let the ICE bring the SOC back to a normal level over an extended cruise. We don’t have the luxury but we saved $5,000 to $10,000 on the Corolla’s purchase. Those guys will never make it back in terms of mileage alone, that is a guarantee default_wink I learned the above techniques while studying the game gauge (instantaneous fuel consumption graph/display) in our 03 Acura MDX. I have received as high as 32.8 mpg in that monster over an extended hwy. vacation drive loaded to the nines. That discussion is for another forum but the game gauge in the X is what I used to perfect the mileage increasing techniques listed above.

___Finally, does anyone else have any more?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

The only real difference for the Hybrid’s is that they try to accelerate using all the electrical Assist available and let the ICE bring the SOC back to a normal level over an extended cruise.

From what I know about electric motors and controllers. Almost all DC electric motor controllers make their best effeciency at full current (100%). Otherwise a large amount of energy is lost as heat as the circuits are rapidly switiching the current on and off to create a "partial throttle". This is one advantage of a AC motor with a VFD. But the torque curve on a DC motor is much more desirable for a vehicle. Tha batteries on the Prius may also operate more effeciently when discharged rapidly.

Otherwise,--- Great tips!!! I don't have much to add. Toyota did a great job of tuning this motor to run extremely effecient at very low throttle positions. One other tip that I learned from having a small under powered Tercel, is to consere momentum around turn and especially on freeway on ramps. Although, the increased cost of tires probably outweighs the cost of brake pads and fuel use.

To save brakes I downshift quite a bit when deaccelerating. This should have very limited increase on fuel consumption since the cylinder is getting less than 1% throttle (idle positon)... but it really saved on brakes and if done right, won't increase clutch wear. I wouldn't recommend this an an automatic however.

my 95 corolla with 5-speed manual gave me 37mpg when I was doing highway (boston, ma -> hartford, ct -> amherst, ma -> hartford, ct -> boston, ma).

otherwise, it is around 30mpg when I do mostly city.

My 1996 Corolla is a 4-speed automatic and has a 13 gallon tank but at 200 miles I have to refill it. So thats about 15.3 miles per gallon. I have done what I had to like changing the spark plugs, changing the oil regularly, and clean the injectors with Lucus Perofrmance injector cleaner. I'm thinking if i change the O2 sensor and the fuel filter my milege should be better. What do you think?

Topic List