Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Xrs And Premium Gas

Guest rickel2

for anyone who knows, is it an absolute must to use prmium gas with the XRS?

i'm a little afraid to hear that it might be.

boy, I love this car!

Dai_Shan

Hmm , i hadn't ever heard that higher octane gas was required/recommended for the XRS. From my knowledge of higher octane gas , i would say no its shouldn't be 100% required...but in some engines it might depending on knocking etc.

Personally i would gradually work my way from 89 to 87. So do like 3/4 tank 89 and then top off with 87...and gradually work down to 100% 87. And as you do this see if you notice any lack in gas milage, or any knocking of your engine.

If all is good...then stick with 87.

But then again i am not a Toyota enginneer..

You don't have to use premium. I just put 2800 highway miles on my dad's Matrix XRS (same drivetrain), used mid-grade the entire trip, didn't have any issues, and got darn near 38 mpg at 80 mph. Unless you get a really crappy batch of gas, you should be fine.

I'd run the lowest octane that does not produce engine knock for your driving conditions. For some - they can get away with 89 octane - others will need to run 91 octane. Just experiment with a half a tank of premium vs the mid grade. Most of the guys I know that have a XRS Corollas notice significant knocking with 87 - others said they ran it just fine. Probably also depends on the quality of which tanker the gas came from. Octane listed is supposed to be the minimum octane rating for the gas - ie, some 87 octane might actually be 1 or 2 points higher.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)