Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

5-speed tranny leaks at axle seal

Guest tsunami55

Hello - I have a 95 Corolla with a 1.6L and a 5-speed tranny. It has 173,000 miles. The trans works fine, but I have a leak at the axle seal on the passenger side (longer axle). If I push up on the CJ joint, right at the tranny, there's a tremendious amount of side play. Can someone tell me how to fix this ?? I've tried 2 other axles (one rebiult, one used), but I still have the same side-play problem. The other (short) side doesn't have 1/3 as much play in it. Thanks.

Does the car make a clicking sound while turning at lower speeds?

My gusss is the CV joints are fired and/or there's a leak on the grease seal in the differential, which might also have some problems. Did somebody drive for a long time with the temporary spare, or mismatched tires, or a with with low air pressure all on the front wheels???

The actual halfshafts don't really wear out, they would either sheer in half or strip the spline (teeth).

Guest tsunami55

No, there is no clicking sound. The joints seem fine. Someone told me that the differential wears out, where the axle is supported (between the splines and the seal) and that's why there is too much side play. The leak is definitely gear lube, and because of the amount of side play, I don't think that another seal is gonna fix it (for long). Anyway, thanks for responding and sorry it took me so long to answer.

Guest dereck72

Ummm...ALOMST 100% sure its your diff bearings...happened w/ my acura...I race mine and they're pretty hard to kill otherwise...when you do go to change them, do the job right....make sure you THOROUGHLY clean out the case get rid of all little metal shards when you do it...if you do the work yourself its worth it...if you don't...might be cheaper to check the local junkyard for a used one....changing the seal??? save your money...won't last a week.

Topic List