Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

When To Switch To Synthetic Oil

by badandy, March 4, 2005

• 55 posts

I'' ve read alot of pretty good info in regards to syn. oils on this site . My question is when is it a good time to switch . I own a 2004 Sienna with 2000 miles on the odometer. Should I do it now or wait until the engine has more miles on it ?

Whenever you want to - most engines get broken in very quickly ~500 miles or so. They generally ask you to drive gently for 1000 miles to make sure that it is broken in.

Some switch early - others wait until the first or second oil change - no real right answer. No need for a flush or any special prep - just drain out the oil and refill with synthetic fill.

I switched at 10,000km. Now, at 189,000km there is still no oil usage, and the engine is quieter than new.

What are the major advantages of synthetic oil?

Stewardc, when you say: after 189K, still no oil usage, do you mean that you change the oil with much less frequently? The comment about the lower noise level indicates that it's better in minimizing engine wear, right?

Also, is it ever too late to start using synthetic?

I have an '03 Corolla LE automatic. I started using Mobil 1 synthetic at approximately 2200 miles. I doubt that it is ever too early or too late to start using synthetic, but there is some doubt as to whether one needs to use synthetic at all if you are changing your oil and filter regularly. Personally, I'm considering a revert back to dino oil, since I change at 3,000 miles like clockwork.

What are the major advantages of synthetic oil?

Stewardc, when you say: after 189K, still no oil usage, do you mean that you change the oil with much less frequently? The comment about the lower noise level indicates that it's better in minimizing engine wear, right?

Also, is it ever too late to start using synthetic?

Yes, I am all highway driving, so I change my oil at 20,000km intervals. I have checked the top of the engine, and can find no dirt (sludge) or obvious wear.

Larry is right if you are in town all the time. The benefits of synthetic are overcome by the price difference.

As to the "too late" question, I believe that synthetic should only be put in a new engine. I changed a Dodge 318 (65,000 miles) and a VW Jetta Turbodiesel (arount 120,000km) to synthetic, and had to replace all engine seals in both.

Topic List