Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Bad Wheel Bearing Or A Different Problem?

by listoff, March 2, 2005

Hi all. I'm Mike and brand new to the forum. Any help on this issue would be appreciated. Here's the deal, my 2003 LE goes through wheel bearings like water it seems. I've had 3 of the 4 replaced within the last year. Anyway...

When I'm going down the highway traveling above 70 MPH and making a right turn, I hear a humming noise. I took it to the shop and they replaced the front driver's side wheel bearing. Thing is, the noise is still there. Tires are practically new, balanced, and have plenty of air in them.

Any ideas, suggestions, thoughts?

Also, just as a side note... Am I crazy, but does my engine rev faster if I pull that white plastic thing out of the top inside of the airbox? I use a K&N and I actually noticed a little extra torque down low when I took out this plastic thing.

Thanks everyone!

Mike

*** And I just realized I posted this in the performance section when it probably should have gone in general. Sorry 'bout that y'all! ***

Tie Rod or ball joint is worn?? I've heard similar problems with Volkswagon's and its dangerous if it happens with them. Have you had that looked at?

• 55 posts

Hey Mike , I had the same problem just recently after a lug nut was broken by Costco and after i had fixed it myself, I used a heavier hammer than I shoud have and I guess I ate to much spinach that day because after I fixed the lugnut my car ate 3 wheel bearings in 2 months. turns out that I bent the hub it was 8 one thousandths of a inch out instead of 2 one thousandths which is the maxium the mechanic said . Dont know if that was bullsnip or what but the car is all fixed 200bucks was bill good luck

Topic List