Sign in to follow this  
hondaminhtt

Rattle

2004 Corolla 1.8L, hearing a rattle from below the engine when cold and in gear. Goes away when warm.

I was underneath the car checking the exhaust. Sounds like its coming from the oil pan area.

It has new belt tensioner, belt, and timing chain tensioner.

As long as it goes away when warm - nothing much to worry about.  The 1ZZ-FE engines are known to be exceptionally noisy, especially from a cold start with a car with some mileage on it.  Mine sounds like a blender with a handful of bolts tossed in, until it just starts to warm up - then it quiets down considerably.  Got over 253K miles on my 2002 (nearly the same 1ZZ-FE that is in your 9th gen Corolla).

If that noise is really bothersome - and you've ruled out the simple stuff (loose exhaust pipe / cracked exhaust, etc.) - then you might try experimenting with different motor oil brands.  Something like Mobil 1 synthetic is known to shear down with use, meaning that it gets thinner over time - but others, like Amsoil, Castrol Edge and Pennzoil Platinum tend to shear thicken - getting thicker with time.  Have to experiment and see what helps with the cold running noise and which runs best in your engine.  For mine - Mobil 1, Redline, and Valvoline Synthetic work the best - fuel economy and overall oil lifespan and protection (used oil analysis results).  But something like Pennzoil Platinum and Castrol - noise is less, but my MPG tanks - dropping an easy 10-15% and off no additional protection (comparing UOA results).