Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Bull6791

Tighter Tolerance Engines

OMG, Frank... If you don't fill the oil filter, it will still get filled once you start the engine. It doesn't matter if you pre-fill the oil filter or not, it will still take exactly the same total amount of oil upon your oil and filter change.

Does your 2005 Corolla already have the revised dipstick which measures exactly 18 inches between o-ring near handle amd full mark? It should take about 4.5 quarts.

Edited by dom

Fish

Owners manual says: 05 corolla 4 quarts with filter.

07 Camry 4.5 quarts with filter.

Fish please bear with me. I fill new filter all the way up with oil and screw it on.

Question: now how much oil do you add to engine. 4 quarts like manual says or do I add less when filling engine because I filled up new oil

Ok Dom just explained it to me.

Thanks

Frank.

Edited by Bull6791

Updated oil capacity for your Corolla with 1ZZ-FE engine is 4.4 quarts with filter. Revision was done in 2005. You may already have the revised dipstick with raised full mark to increase capacity by 1/2 quart. Revised dipstick measures exactly 18 inches between black rubber o-ring near handle and full mark.

http://www.toyotapart.com/1ZZ-FE_ENGINE_OIL_LEVEL_SPECIFICATION_UPDATE_T-SB-0134-08.pdf

Edited by dom

Dom

I only have the original dipstick that came with car. I do know about the revised oil level and new dipstick. Thanks for info.

I just use original dipstick that came with car and original oil level of 3.9 quarts with filter as per manual.

Frank

To determine if you do have the revised dipstick, see if it measures 18 inches from o-ring near top handle, and the full mark. If it's about 18.5 inches, make a new mark with a marker at exactly 18 inches. No need to buy the new revised dipstick. Your revised oil capacity with filter change is now 4.4 US quarts.

Edited by dom

Dom

Question.: I will measure it. If I find out it is not updated because it measures 17.5 inches, just asking, why do I have to update dipstick.

Why can't I use the old dipstick if I find out it is the old dipstick. Does it really matter.

Let me know.

Frank.

You can still use the old dipstick. Just make a new full mark on it at the revised height.... You are now aware that your oil capacity was revised in 2005, as per TSB. Your oil capacity is now 4.4 quarts, even if you have the old dipstick like on my 2004.

You don't have to, but you should to better protect your engine, as advised by Toyota. You have no reason not to revise your oil capacity to Toyota's updated TSB specs.

Old dipstick mesures a tad less than 18.5 inches from center of 0-ring to full mark dot. Revised is exactly 18 inches.

Edited by dom

Dom

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I am just starting to do my own car maintenance. So anything you tell me It would help me out.

Thanks again Frank.

Yeah I meant a tad less than 18.5 inches on the old dipstick. Revised one is definitely exactly 18 inches.

The revised dipstick's full mark is almost 0.5 inch higher than on the old dipstick.

Revised dipstick measures 18 inches between middle of o-ring and full mark.

Old dipstick's full mark is nearly 0.5 inch lower at almost 18.5 inches from middle of o-ring.

Edited by dom

Dom

The revised oil level and dipstick add a 1/2 an inch. Bringing it from 3.9 quarts up to 4.4 quarts.

You said the new dipstick measures exactly 18 inches. So that tells me the old dipstick should measure 17.5 inches where the 1/2 inch Toyota raised the level would bring new dipstick to exactly 18 inches like you said.

Do you agree.

Frank

No. Look at your dipstick. Measure it. Think about it for a while.... The higher the full mark is, the closer it will be to the o-ring near the TOP handle, therefore the distance will be less.