Sign in to follow this  
quietvibes

How Do You Replace Stereo Head Unit From 95 Corolla

I'm a complete noob when it comes to this. Right now I just want to remove the stock stereo head unit from my 95 corolla. I think something inside is making a vibration and the cassette player don't work anymore anyway.

Can someone tell me how to do it? I know you are supposed to disconnect the battery terminal first. Then it probably involves prying open something in the areas around the stereo with a flat head screwdriver. I think I read somewhere that you got to remove the heater switch too. can someone give me a more detailed description as to where to start prying?

Thanks

Before you start:

Remove power - disconnect the negative battery terminal, make sure it doesn't flop back and make contact by accident.

Remove the knobs on the HVAC sliders, they just pull off.

Just take a small, flat screwdriver (put tape on the ends to prevent it from badly scratching the plastic), stick it in gaps between the radio finish panel, work slowly around - it will pop off.

After that finish panel pops off, you will have to disconnect the wiring harness plugs going to the clock, rear defroster, A/C button, and hazard lights. Radio itself is mounted to a bracket, the bracket is mounted with screws in the front. To remove the headunit, remove the screws in the front, and the whole unit will slide out. Note that there is wiring behind the headunit (radio connections, wiring bundle (main wiring harness), antenna lead wire, and possible ground strap.

Before you start:

Remove power - disconnect the negative battery terminal, make sure it doesn't flop back and make contact by accident.

Remove the knobs on the HVAC sliders, they just pull off.

Just take a small, flat screwdriver (put tape on the ends to prevent it from badly scratching the plastic), stick it in gaps between the radio finish panel, work slowly around - it will pop off.

After that finish panel pops off, you will have to disconnect the wiring harness plugs going to the clock, rear defroster, A/C button, and hazard lights. Radio itself is mounted to a bracket, the bracket is mounted with screws in the front. To remove the headunit, remove the screws in the front, and the whole unit will slide out. Note that there is wiring behind the headunit (radio connections, wiring bundle (main wiring harness), antenna lead wire, and possible ground strap.

Are you sure it is that easy to take the center console off? A friend and I tried to replace the stereo today but couldn't seem to pry the center console from the dash with a flathead screwdriver. We tried for a few hours but still couldn't...any tips? I attempted to pry the 4 clips loose as well to no avail.

Thanks

Just have to pry on it a little more, tape up a flat-bladed screwdriver tip or use plastic tools to pry on the trim on the center console - you'll know you are prying on the right spots as there will be a slotted opening at the points along the trim that you have to pry on. Helps if the temperature is warm, if too cold, that trim will be tough to pull off.

bump...

I cannot get the dash panel off for anything. I've tried everything and pulled as hard as I can. I removed two screws form under the dash and tried to pry it off at all four corners with a screw driver. Anyways, the tape player broke and I blew two back speakers in my Corolla. I've all ready replaced the front speakers, as the passenger one was blown when I purchased the car. The stock radio seems to favor the back speakers, so I'm not getting much bass from the new front speakers that were nstalled. I have a new JVC head unit, and it would be nice to have a new radio because I'm not going to waste money on rear speakers If i cannot get a new head unit in!

Thanks for any advice in advance!

I did it this winter, and I made a few errors, but I was successful. It is a very unpleasant job. I will tell you about my errors, some discussed above, so you don't repeat them:

* I did it in the winter, when the plastic is more rigid, better do it in a hot summer day.

* When doing this kind of stuff in the interior of the car ALWAYS wear safety glasses that cover your eyes. Small pieces of plastic have a tendency to jump at high velocity. This applies to anything in the interior of the car: door panels, ceiling light, whatever.

* As said above, remove the plastic covers of the temperature and air ventilation controls of the HVAC system, only a thin metal lid should remain. I didn't remove them and they jumped away, they are too wide for the slits of the panel.

* Disconnect the battery. In my case I didn't do it, but nothing bad happened thankfully.

* things are easy to slide through the mess of cables and things that are behind the panel. This is specially truth for the screws that hold the stereo. Use a magnetized screwdriver, and be very careful with them, specially when putting the screws back, I lost one of them, thankfully one does not matter for the support of the stereo.

* Replace first the stereo, before the speakers. In my case, the left speaker begun making unpleasant noises progressively. I thought it was the speaker, so I replaced it. It was a big error. I wasted days removing the door panel and installing speakers. At the end I realized it was because of the stereo, or maybe the connector in the back of the stereo that got loose.

I don't remember the exact movement, but I think you should try to push the panel downwards or upwards in addition to outwards.

The result of such a novice (me) doing that work was not so bad, but now the some of the slides of the HVAC are broken, and I have to use just the metal lid. Also the panel is by less than half centimeter (quarter of inch) badly positioned, the Air conditioning control is too deep. Anyway, now everything is perfectly functional, and I got a lot wiser.

I'll check in the manuals later, and maybe I make another post.

bump...

I cannot get the dash panel off for anything. I've tried everything and pulled as hard as I can. I removed two screws form under the dash and tried to pry it off at all four corners with a screw driver. Anyways, the tape player broke and I blew two back speakers in my Corolla. I've all ready replaced the front speakers, as the passenger one was blown when I purchased the car. The stock radio seems to favor the back speakers, so I'm not getting much bass from the new front speakers that were nstalled. I have a new JVC head unit, and it would be nice to have a new radio because I'm not going to waste money on rear speakers If i cannot get a new head unit in!

Thanks for any advice in advance!