Sign in to follow this  
Guest CD101

Burning Massive Oil, Unsure What To Do

Guest CD101

I have a 2002 Corolla S (built in 2001). It started burning a lot of oil about 5 years ago, and it's getting worse. It burns about 1 qt. every 300 miles. They did a compression test the last time I had it in the shop and they said the compression looked good.

There are no oil leaks.

PCV valve was changed last year, didn't help

Plugs get fouled.

Blue smoke

Toyota is suggesting a rebuild at a minimum of $2500. I don't have the resources or knowledge to do anything myself. I've put about $2000 into it over the last couple years. I hate to abandon this car, but also don't want to sink a lot more money into it either.

It has 114,000 miles, and I still get about 33-35 mgp (5-spd.)

Any suggestions on what I should do?

trap

Have to determine where the source of oil consumption is coming from - leaking valve seals or stuck piston rings. Sounds like in your case, since you see some blueish tint to the exhaust - probably a combination of the two. If compression is still holding well (do a leak down test as well, to test the valve seals) - possible you can get away with just cleaning up/repalcing the rings and replacing the seals. Little honing, new gaskets, etc. - should be no where close to $2500. For that sort of money, you could get a remanufacturer engine with warranty. An engine swap from a newer Corolla is also another possiblity - again, should be considerably less than the $2500 quoted there.

If the car is in great shape otherwise - really doesn't make financial sense to dump this car for another - unless you are tired of the Corolla or looking for another car. If the interior and exterior is in good condition, can runs well, handles well - aside from the oil consumption - makes this car an ideal candidate for engine swap/engine rebuild.

At this level of oil consumption - nothing short of replacing the engine or rebuilding it will help - pretty much past the "additives may help" phase. Heavier oils are not recommened, have been shown to accelerate oil consumption and/or lead to other issues down the road. Engine flushes that help break up deposits can help temporarily, but the issue will always return, plus those flushes/additives have a nasty habit of loosening up too many deposits.

Guest CD101

Thanks for the reply, fishexpo101. I inquired about a swap engine, and Toyota said it would be about the same price, $2500. I checked around, some places don't do rebuilds here, they just replace the engine with a new one at $5000.

I'll have to do some more checking around. I'd like to have all Toyota parts, but I guess as long as it's quality parts and quality work.... it should be fine.

The body and interior is still in good shape. It's starting to show some rust though. I will mention that this car has been a jinx ever since I got it. I was hit by other people 4 times within the first 3 years of having it, in addition to two windshield replacements.

I feel for you on the accidents - my Corolla was the same way - car was rearended three times and had a hit and run on the drivers side door (parking lot) - all within one year. Like the car was invisible or something. Still - it been very reliable car even through all that - couldn't be happier about it.

I have had engine replaced in my 2000VE for exactly the same issue. It cost me about $1500 including labor. It had 30 days warranty on it. Unfortunately, the first replacement blew in 3 weeks. Luckily I was still in the warranty period, so they replaced it one more time free of charge. This time they made sure the engine will last. Donor car was a 2003 corolla that was in a collision.

$2500 sounds too much for a swap. Screw dealership, go to an independent mechanic that specializes in engine swaps and always ask for CARFAX report on the donor car.