Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
TCPMeta2k1

95 Corolla Dx

Hello, I own a 95 Corolla and i've been slowly adding some engine upgrades. It's the stock 7F-AE, I have also added a ram air intake, spark plug wires, straight pipe (still has the cat) and also replaced the valve cover gasket and painted it a nice blue. I have also replaced the tranny fluid with royle purple and the engine oil with royle purple W30. I just installed today a little cheapo tach meter.

I've found places on the net that have pointed out that it's just easyer to strip down the engine block and install 4F-AE parts and add a v20 valve cover. Yet I don't really see a reason why. Right now im trying to get some ideas for the ECU and some other engine related ideas.

This is my only car and it has a high milage over 150,000 miles. so I want to try and keep this car in good shape until it just falls apart from old age lol. I'm open to any ideas and sujestions.

Please help me out.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Hello, I own a 95 Corolla and i've been slowly adding some engine upgrades. It's the stock 7F-AE, I have also added a ram air intake, spark plug wires, straight pipe (still has the cat) and also replaced the valve cover gasket and painted it a nice blue. I have also replaced the tranny fluid with royle purple and the engine oil with royle purple W30. I just installed today a little cheapo tach meter.

I've found places on the net that have pointed out that it's just easyer to strip down the engine block and install 4F-AE parts and add a v20 valve cover. Yet I don't really see a reason why. Right now im trying to get some ideas for the ECU and some other engine related ideas.

This is my only car and it has a high milage over 150,000 miles. so I want to try and keep this car in good shape until it just falls apart from old age lol. I'm open to any ideas and sujestions.

Please help me out.

I own a 1994 and am trying to keep it stock.

You replaced the valve cover gasket and painted it blue? You mean you painted the valve cover.

Why would you want to paint the ECU? No one will ever see it. same thing with the fluids - does royal purple color make it go faster?

If you are looking for a variety of colors for engine parts, just take each piece off and paint it a different color. Then when someone opens your hood they can see like a jigsaw puzzle of colors. Kind of unique.

Suggestions? Does everything work, if not replace with working parts. You can get a fancy stereo/CD player (if you don't already have one).

I think the most noticed part you can change is the tires and rims. Get some expensive, fancy wheels and you may get some attention there.

Have you put on a full body kit? That would make a dramatic difference in the appearance.

You can add a spoiler, sunroof, pinstriping, airbrushing or fancy paint scheme, etc.

goto 6gc.net for 7afe performance. so far the 'mods' you've added have pretty much done nothing but make you fail emissions.

That's very encouraging for him. It is possible he can still pass his emission test, depending on the state it is tested in. Are you suggesting he stick to cosmetic changes and not try to improve engine performance due to it's negative effects on emissions?

goto 6gc.net for 7afe performance. so far the 'mods' you've added have pretty much done nothing but make you fail emissions.

That's very encouraging for him. It is possible he can still pass his emission test, depending on the state it is tested in. Are you suggesting he stick to cosmetic changes and not try to improve engine performance due to it's negative effects on emissions?

i misread, i thought he said he dropped his cat :lol: sorry!

well performance for the 7afe is pretty limited. the head swap isnt beneficial unless you're going to turbo but to even begin to appreciate that head you'd need to do an internal build on the motor. a manual trans is a MUST at this point, you'll also need a standalone engine managament system ect ect ect its more than just throwing parts at the car, it doesnt work like a honda.

also at 150K miles...is is worth it? probably not. your best bet is to keep this car to drive while you save your money or buy a project car to dump money into. a mid 80's mustang LX is cheap and cheap to modify and make big power with. you'll have ALOT more fun with that than your corolla.

Edited by Bitter

i misread, i thought he said he dropped his cat :lol: sorry!

well performance for the 7afe is pretty limited. the head swap isnt beneficial unless you're going to turbo but to even begin to appreciate that head you'd need to do an internal build on the motor. a manual trans is a MUST at this point, you'll also need a standalone engine managament system ect ect ect its more than just throwing parts at the car, it doesnt work like a honda.

That is true. I believe he is not looking for tremendous improvement with major modifications to the engine or something like turbo and changing transmission to manual. That would probably be beyond his scope of expertise. I think he is looking for a simpler method of improving performance, such as better intake, exhausts, other bolt-ons, etc.

Edited by Bikeman982

the amount of money he spend will be a waste for the gains he'll get. he MAY see 2whp from all of the intake, exhaust, ect. thats such a small amount that it wouldnt be reliably measurable on a dyno. his pennies are better saved towards a better or more modifiable car.

the amount of money he spend will be a waste for the gains he'll get. he MAY see 2whp from all of the intake, exhaust, ect. thats such a small amount that it wouldnt be reliably measurable on a dyno. his pennies are better saved towards a better or more modifiable car.

I think he wants to keep his Corolla. What he spends on his car is his choice. I am sure he appreciates some advice on how to improve his car without major modifications.

I think he wants to keep his Corolla. What he spends on his car is his choice. I am sure he appreciates some advice on how to improve his car without major modifications.

theres not much you can do to the 4afe with out spending alot of money. trust me, i know what im saying. its not like a honda where you can bolt on a guaranteed 20whp.

1. he has 1.8L and about 110chp to work with, perhaps all of 85 hp at the wheels

2. to make NA power with that motor you need to raise the compression, this means new pistons...which means taking the motor out of the car, honing the cylinders, replacing the pistsons and rings, putting it all back together. bike you know how much work that is.

3. it sounds like he doesnt have alot of money to spend, the pistons are $500 for a cast set of higher compression pistons from HKS. a header is atleast $250, probably more for a good one.

4. an intake and a muffler DOES NOT add a measureable amount of power unless the stock parts were delapadated to the point they hindered the engine. they will however make the car louder and sound like a riced out civic, if thats what he wants then thats not an engine upgrade thats just a loud annoying car.

Edited by Bitter

theres not much you can do to the 4afe with out spending alot of money. trust me, i know what im saying. its not like a honda where you can bolt on a guaranteed 20whp.

1. he has 1.8L and about 110chp to work with, perhaps all of 85 hp at the wheels

2. to make NA power with that motor you need to raise the compression, this means new pistons...which means taking the motor out of the car, honing the cylinders, replacing the pistsons and rings, putting it all back together. bike you know how much work that is.

3. it sounds like he doesnt have alot of money to spend, the pistons are $500 for a cast set of higher compression pistons from HKS. a header is atleast $250, probably more for a good one.

4. an intake and a muffler DOES NOT add a measureable amount of power unless the stock parts were delapadated to the point they hindered the engine. they will however make the car louder and sound like a riced out civic, if thats what he wants then thats not an engine upgrade thats just a loud annoying car.

Could be that he just wants a loud annoying car that looks good to him. You must have seen some of those cars around. It is personalized to the owner and although we may not be impresssed, the owner is proud of it.

well then let me correct him

1. its a 20valve cylinder head not a valve cover, if you can find one it wont be cheap, then to make it work you need to find a porsche pulley (i forget which one) so the timing belt will work with the head. and then theres some other issues with it and its power band, you will loose low end torque and any power you gain will be beyond the redline of a stock 7afe, if you consistantly rev it to that point you'll probably throw a rod and ruin the engine.

2. plug wires do nothing for performance

3. oil does nothing for performance

4. there are no "chips" for the 7afe, most of those ebay chips are a total rip off and just make the engine run pig rich which

a. kills gas mileage

b. fouls the spark plugs

c. dillutes the oil

d. lowers the engines output

e. fails emissions

f. is bad for the engine

he doesnt even know what he's talking about but he's ready to start doing MAJOR modifications to his engine.

1. its a 20valve cylinder head not a valve cover, if you can find one it wont be cheap, then to make it work you need to find a porsche pulley (i forget which one) so the timing belt will work with the head. and then theres some other issues with it and its power band, you will loose low end torque and any power you gain will be beyond the redline of a stock 7afe, if you consistantly rev it to that point you'll probably throw a rod and ruin the engine.

4. there are no "chips" for the 7afe, most of those ebay chips are a total rip off and just make the engine run pig rich which

a. kills gas mileage

b. fouls the spark plugs

c. dillutes the oil

e. fails emissions

f. is bad for the engine

he doesnt even know what he's talking about but he's ready to start doing MAJOR modifications to his engine.

I agree that he has very little knowledge on the subject and it is good for him to seek advice. He is searching for answers that keep his costs down, while changing his cars performance. If there is no solution to that quest, he will find that out. Maybe he should also do some reading on the subject and become a little more educated on what options are available to him. He may find that he is better off selling his car and getting one more suited to his performance desires. Remember that we should just give him facts without criticizing him. Let him decide what course he should take, since what he does is based on information and his free choice.

I checked out the website and saw mostly Celica information. Is there a particular section that gives the 7A-FE engine modifications?

a. kills gas mileage

b. fouls the spark plugs

c. dillutes the oil

e. fails emissions

f. is bad for the engine

I agree that he has very little knowledge on the subject and it is good for him to seek advice. He is searching for answers that keep his costs down, while changing his cars performance. If there is no solution to that quest, he will find that out. Maybe he should also do some reading on the subject and become a little more educated on what options are available to him. He may find that he is better off selling his car and getting one more suited to his performance desires. Remember that we should just give him facts without criticizing him. Let him decide what course he should take, since what he does is based on information and his free choice.

I checked out the website and saw mostly Celica information. Is there a particular section that gives the 7A-FE engine modifications?

the Celica ST has a 7a-FE engine in it. theres several corolla owners there.

My corolla is just for fun. I use it at the track and piss off some civic drivers. In the state I live in there is no emissions at all. So if I wanted too I can go open header but still get in trouble for breaking the sound orderance.

I painted the valve cover not the gasket. I didn't ment painting the ECU but I did mean to say on ways to modify the ECU to get a few extra horses. I'm going to check out that site everyone keeps posting. Latly I havn't been using my computer that much.