Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest tommiez

Oil Consumption

Guest tommiez
:o Just bought a 2000 corolla..and it is burning alot of oil..like 3 quarts per tank of gas.. It has 90k miles..and runs great....no oil leaks..does anyone know why with so few miles it would burn so much oil..

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Guest usmc0351

Hi, I was reading some of the other posts with interest because a friend of mine has been losing a lot of oil in her 1999 Corolla. She asked me to take a look, which I did. There are NO oil leaks anywhere on the engine, the engine is running fine, no skip or misfire, and no smoke. I did notice the rear bumper cover over the tailpipe is somewhat blackened, and there is a lot of soot in the tailpipe. A mechanic told her, in writing, that she had "major internal engine damage". There is no major internal engine damage, but this car is using a ton of oil. Is the max life additive still the best fix? I'm wondering, if it's a lubrication issue with the piston rings, would Marvel Mystery oil do the job too?

If piston rings are shot, no magical oil treatment is going to help. The rings will need to be replaced. A compression test and if required a leak down test is the way to go.

I agree with the suggestion to do a compression test--do it with the engine at normal operating temp.

Also, valve stem seals is another possible source of oil consumption, and not an uncommon situation with older engines.

I don't recommend oil additives--perhaps a short term fix (only in some cases)--but in the long run, they don't help.