Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Long Do You Plan To Keep Your Corolla?

See every reply in these pages:

99 Corolla LE Auto...

I am going to drive mine into the ground. Here is my agenda:

Starting next oil change (tomorrow, doing it myself default_biggrin) I'm going to run synthetics.

When my tire wears out (which should be within this year default_sad ) I'll get another set of decent tires AND a set of alloy wheels.

If the tranny dies, I'll find a stick tranny, get a shop to swap it, and keep going. default_tongue

If the shock or muffler dies, I'm gonna get the TRD stuff.

When the body rust through, it's time for a Prius. (That, or when my dad's 97 Camry dies. I'm going to press him into getting a hybrid. He is going to drive it into the ground too meaning it won't happen for many years. default_sad)

I haven't really given it any thought. I may just keep it long-term, but if there are some really drastically positive changes made to the Corolla in the next few years I could possibly sell mine and trade up to another new one. Another possibility is that I may get a second vehicle such as a half-ton pickup or small (RAV-4 size) SUV, and keep this Corolla as alternative transportation. Right now, I am more concerned about finding an acceptable house to buy and getting that purchase accomplished, and the ultimate move-in. Not really thinking about new cars at the moment.

Update: Bought a house March 31. It is a duplex with a 1-car garage, and limited street parking since my lot is right on the corner. So no "second" vehicle for me. The garage is only 10 ft. wide by 19 ft. long, so it barely accommodates my Corolla and a lawn mower and a few other peripherals. Also, the location of my new abode will reduce my daily one-way commute to work from 3.4 miles to 1.9 miles, so I'm thinking about getting a bicycle! My Corolla was driven very little before, I'll have to take a quite exaggerated path to work just to get it warmed up all the way, but I'm doing that now!

My '03 Corolla LE has the potential to last a very long time, and from now on, all maintenence will be time-based rather than mileage-based. Needless to say, it has the potential to last a very long time, especially now that it can be kept in a garage. So -- at this point, I can't foresee replacing it any time soon.

For 3 years until the warranty runs out, then I'll trade it in on a new one.

Why? Worried about repair bills? Compare worst-case repair bills with the first year depreciation on a new car. It pales in comparison.

Now, factor in the actual probability of having major repairs done (not that high in the 4th, 5th, and probably 6th and 7th years of a Corolla), come up with the "expected value" of repair costs (I remember something from all those statistics classes), and it starts making even less sense.

Ah heck. It's definitely a pathos. My dad has it too. Keeps waiting for a transmission to explode, but it never does.

Already got 10 years on my 95 Corolla, already replace a few mid size things (starter, battery, 2 engine mounts, 2 rear struts, 1 camber kit, 1 bumper mount and bumper due to accident, oil pan gasket, O2 senosrs, etc). Reliability not as good as my integra but hey, it is only US$13k when new.

Currently use it as a taxi to commute 100 miles a day with 2 other paid passangers, and 900 miles every other week with 3 other paid passangers. Got paid enough for gas, insurance, depreciation, and maintanence/repair.

I am going to keep it for another 10 years.

I will keep mine until it is no longer economical to keep it, i.e. the monthly/yearly repair bill outgrows the monthly savings towards a new car. Also when repairs cost more than the car is worth. Eg. If in 2020 the corolla is worth $2k as a trade and the tranny goes kaputt requiring repairs of $3k, it'd make sense to junk it.

Well, I said i'd keep my '00 forever...........got rid of it last month. My '05 has a 5 yr loan on it, I'll keep it until at least it is paid off, which would be late 2009 at the earliest. As for then, I dunno.........I may keep THIS one until it is no longer economically viable to keep, or I can trade it in on a 2010 model car.

I plan to keep my 01 LE for at least 100,000 miles - I've had it four years (almost 37K miles) and I admit I am somewhat attached emotionally - I kept my previous car (Civic) for 15 years and teared up when the man that bought it drove it away.

So far, so good with my Corolla. Good gas mileage too, a little over 30 mpg on last tank...although I must admit I'm a little jealous when I see the new ones because I like the design much better.

Just finished washing and waxing...

Guest scorpionzx1

As long as I can, it's reliable, resonably cheap, and gets very good gas mileage compared to pretty much everything else.

I will keep mine until it hits 100K miles - which will take another 9 years since I only drive approx. 7K yearly. Knock on wood nothing happens to it........

For ever!!! I still have some loan on it... but it runs great and is reliable. I have 52K on it right now but have hear stories of 200K plus life and thats what I plan to attain on this one.

Every time a Beamer or Mustang passes me I wish I had one of those BUT then realise how financially sound it is to keep the rolla. I can't wait for the day it will be loan free.

I have a 2001 Corolla CE, currently, at 100,400 miles (as of April 2005). I'll keep this car as long as I can........unitl the car can no LONGER run.

I kind of like the new styling of '05 Corolla, and I'm a bit annoy at my 3-speed transmission. But like most other Corolla owners on this board, I came to love and respect my Corolla. So I plan to keep it as long as I can.

- uchok00 default_ph34r

I've been flirting with the idea of getting another car or trade mine '02 S for an older BMW 3 series. Thought it would be nice to have a car with a little bit more go power, having to pay for that at the pump and the extra insurance cost keeps me away from going through with it. I've got just over 30K on it and the last payment was 4 month ago. Hopefully, I can have it until at least 100K which might take a while since I don't drive all that often.

Guest RockinRolla

I got my 98 CE as a startup car when I was just new to the roads. It's a nice car (it was redesigned that year) and was a logical choice for someone under 25 due to low insurance rate. default_tongue

I really wish to keep mine for as long as I can (it has < 60k), but I also want to get a coupe with more power for a change. Unless I hit the jackpot in which I can keep it as a second car, I might have to trade it in for something else. default_sad

As for my next car... unless Toyota decides to follow suit and create a super/turbo-charged version of Corolla like Chevy did with Cobalt SS and Dodge with SRT4, I might have to look elsewhere... oh wait, I think that's called Scion... default_unsure

Max

Corolla XRS might be the ticket for you.

Bikeman982

I have a 1991 Toyota Corolla, my wife has a 1992, my oldest daughter has a 1995, my other daughter has a 1996 Toyota Tercel. I just bought a 1993 Toyota Corolla for my son. I plan on keeping my Toyota until it is no longer capable of being repaired. I don't doubt that it can go many, many miles. It has 154,500 miles on it now. My wife's has 164,00. They can keep on going and going!! I don't like the body style on the newer ones - sorry, no offense intended to you who own one. If I did get rid of my Corolla, I would just get another one - probably 1993 or 1994. Seems like they get pretty good gas mileage and the price of gas keeps going up. Tell all your friends to buy one and we can save gas!!

Topic List