Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Long Do You Plan To Keep Your Corolla?

See every reply in these pages:

Guest model1822

I probably won't keep mine long. It will be paid for in about 20 months.

• 200 posts

I am keeping mine at least another few years. Great reliable transport.

Mr. Ed

I'm hoping to keep mine for another 15 years or so. I only drive this car about 20,000 miles a year - that would put me at about 320,000 miles. I think that's do-able.

Also ---> when my wife's 2000 LeSabre dies, I hope a new Camry appears in it's place!

I'm hoping to keep mine for another 15 years or so. I only drive this car about 20,000 miles a year - that would put me at about 320,000 miles. I think that's do-able.

x2

I'd like to keep it until its no longer reliable. Hopefully that is a decade or two away, around 300,000 or 400,000 miles away.

I haven't really given it any thought. I may just keep it long-term, but if there are some really drastically positive changes made to the Corolla in the next few years I could possibly sell mine and trade up to another new one. Another possibility is that I may get a second vehicle such as a half-ton pickup or small (RAV-4 size) SUV, and keep this Corolla as alternative transportation. Right now, I am more concerned about finding an acceptable house to buy and getting that purchase accomplished, and the ultimate move-in. Not really thinking about new cars at the moment.

I probably won't keep mine long.  It will be paid for in about 20 months.

Why would this have anything to do with whether you keep your car? Isn't owning something free-and-clear a good thing?

I really don't like my '04. For me the corolla was a totally logical, financial, and dispassionate choice. I could get passionate about a new Mustang (300 HP and good looks), but this is an appliance to get me back and forth to work (about 55 miles one way) as cheaply as possible. I'll probably put 30-40k miles per year on it (got 50k now).

It's still too new to be thought of as a "second" car, but perhaps when it gets 150-200 I'll get an "emotional" car and then truly make this my "beater" work car. By then, the cost-per-mile on this thing should be very low (because she'll be pretty much completely depreciated by then).

The new car can be a "backup" when the 'rolla has to go into the shop now and again, but hopefully I can put 300k plus on my trusty-but-unlovable corollla.

For the record, my corolla is paid for--and that makes me want to keep it more, not less.

Max

I don't know how long I'll keep this car. It'll be paid off this year, and I'd like to drive it for fairly long time after that, but I might be distracted by the new Corolla in '07. default_laugh

My '95 Corollas currently has 233,000 miles on it, and I plan on keeping it two more years. That will be around 300,000 miles. There's no doubt in my mind that it will last that long.

Guest Corollasroyce

Once its paid off (prolly 3-4 years) I will be upgrading to a Lexus IS300.

Guest Toyota-san

A long time!

Probably run it to the ground. With 170K km now, after going on eight years, I think it's good for manay more years.

Ti-Jean

My cars are always "free-and-clear" since day 1. What a feeling?

I plan to keep this one until I retire... in 2014.

Let's say 10 years at no more than 10K Km/year. Should be easy. Office moves downstown in a few months and I'll have to use public transit.

But then, all that $$ accumulating in my pockets until then could make me change my mind... default_wink

Perhapes tiii 100,000 KM. Write now I have 126,000 Km. Still runs like a charm.

2000 corolla.

Guest toyotacorollafx

i got an 88 toyota corolla fx, im gonna keep it till the trans or engine breaks. It has 141,000 miles on it now

Guest rev_rock

Guest rev_rock

Until Father's Day, last year, I had a '88 Ford Festiva that I had bought brand new. It had about 160,000 miles on it, but I had replaced the original 1.3 liter motor with a 1.6 Mazda at about 150,000. Talk about one quick little car!! Then, on Father's Day, a drunk driver ran into it (in my own driveway, no less!) and totalled it.

After looking around for another car that would last a long time, I bought a '96 Geo Prizm (Corolla clone). It had 78,000 original miles on it. An old man had it until he couldn't drive any longer. He gave it to his son, who then sold it to me. So far, I don't have a single complaint. It's an automatic (I would have preferred a manual), so as long as the trans holds up, I think it will last for many years to come. It's got 83,000 on it now, and I'm sure it will go another 200,000, and I plan to keep it that long!

Kept a Ford for 12 years. Is 24 years unreasonable for a Corolla?

I'd say I would keep my corolla for at least 6 years if nothing happens to it. Before my dad owned a 1989 corolla that was scrapped last year cuz the body was totally rusted and nobody wanted it. Other then that, everything was still fine.

I will keep mine until it is no longer economical to keep it, i.e. the monthly/yearly repair bill outgrows the monthly savings towards a new car. Also when repairs cost more than the car is worth. Eg. If in 2020 the corolla is worth $2k as a trade and the tranny goes kaputt requiring repairs of $3k, it'd make sense to junk it.

I just bought a 92 about 2 weeks back with 130K miles.Plan to keep it until 170K ,and sell it if i dont get too attached to it.

at the moment, ia putting 50 k /yr on my 03.

So maybe 10 yrs at 500k ??

I will keep mine till the wheels are about the size of quarters

Keeping mine until the car literally falls apart. That's the only way I can justify spending so much money on a rapidly depreciating product....until I get rich that is default_smile

But yeah, I always figured I will need a fuel sipping reliable car to get from Point A to Point B, but yet has some decent powe, looks decentr and is comfortable. This will let me keep the fuel guzzling, unreliable, summer/fun car off the roads during commuting and winter. The Corolla fits the bill very nicely.

Well I'm approaching 180K miles and I add about 12K miles a year so I guess another 4 years. Beyond that, who knows? Even if it required a transmission replacement I might just go ahead with that at this point. If your gonna spend more than the car is worth fixing it, the only way you'll get your money back out of it is by driving it.

I am hoping to get at least 10 yrs out of my 05 LE. I drive around 40K a year though, so I am not sure that will happen. New England winter does a number on cars, especially the rock salt damage to the front end. But I probably have the best shot at it with this particular car. All I can do is keep up the maintenance and see aht happens. I need the car to last at least until the payments are over which I think will be no problem.

Guest Kevin108

For 3 years until the warranty runs out, then I'll trade it in on a new one.

Topic List